Windows 10: Summary of Installation issues re win 7 upgrades

Discus and support Summary of Installation issues re win 7 upgrades in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am kept quite busy with clients running into Windows 10 upgrade issues, invariably from older machines. i would criticise Microsoft for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by robmar0se, Feb 24, 2016.

1. robmar0se Win User

Summary of Installation issues re win 7 upgrades

I am kept quite busy with clients running into Windows 10 upgrade issues, invariably from older machines.
    i would criticise Microsoft for insufficient information in regard to the process

Here are a summary of some of the issues:
    • Window 10 compatibility appraisal is often wrong, or rather omits items that won't work in 10
    • Some manufacturers such as Asus are not updating their software/drivers for Win10.
    • Older printers won't work
    • Quicktime current release is not compatible
    • Many programs have a send to email function, in many cases this no longer works
    • If you don't have the very latest AV release folks run into probs; must have the current release.
    • Folks running XPMode cannot upgrade

There are other aspects which Microsoft sees as an enhancement but are a retrograde step,

• eg chkdsk info at boot time is like defrag on Vista - unhelpful!
    • Windows Update - not being able to schedule, some of the very big updates , ie new release, can take forever, and have repercussions on internet usage/costs (not just for laptops either) - not sensible.
    • The way apps are displayed and scroll down is unhelpful and slow.

I could go on, so at the moment I am sticking to Win 7 - in my humble opinion Win XP was the best OS that MS have produced to date, shame they no longer support it. Lets see if MS addresses some of the criticisms of Windows 10 (eventually).

:)

robmar0se, Feb 24, 2016

2. One windows copy for multiply computers

Win 10 (unlessed purchased) is an upgrade.

1-if you upgraded your "genuine" win 7 to win 10 it is for that computer only

2-The free upgrade is finished so you cannot re-install win 7 then upograde for free

3-Once a computer is upgraded to win 10 and activated you can always re-install win 10 & or replace the HD. You Cant take the old HD and use it on a new motherboard.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Feb 24, 2016
  3. BB2016 Win User
    Re downloading/installing Windows 10 on a new HD

I had a major SSD HD failures and want to re-install windows 10 on the second HD. I originally received a free Win 10 because i upgraded from XP to Win 7. Do I have to re-install XP and upgrade again to re-install Win 10.

Thank you

BB2016, Feb 24, 2016
Thema:

Summary of Installation issues re win 7 upgrades

1. Summary of Installation issues re win 7 upgrades - Similar Threads - Summary Installation issues

2. Win 7 ultimate upgrade to Win 10 home issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 7 ultimate upgrade to Win 10 home issues: Trying to upgrade a PC with Win 7 ultimate installed to Win 10 home purchased from MS. However after downloading the home s/w it keeps trying to install Win 10 pro. Any ideas?...
  3. Win 7 ultimate upgrade to Win 10 home issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 7 ultimate upgrade to Win 10 home issues: Trying to upgrade a PC with Win 7 ultimate installed to Win 10 home purchased from MS. However after downloading the home s/w it keeps trying to install Win 10 pro. Any ideas?...
  4. Win 7 ultimate upgrade to Win 10 home issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 Versus Clean Install

Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 Versus Clean Install: I am running windows 7 and downloaded the free windows 10 upgrade back when Microsoft offered it and stored it on my drive. I installed it, registered, then reverted to 7. Now as I understand it, this install file is an upgrade version to be put on over windows 7. But what...
  6. Upgrading Win 7

Upgrading Win 7: I am currently using Win 7 Pro and Office 2002. I have written a number of macros for Word 2002 such as one that takes names from the database I have written and lays them out on pages on a 4 x 7 format that will print on to Multi-purpose labels which can them be stuck on...
  7. WIN 7 Upgrade

WIN 7 Upgrade: GREETINGS MICROSOFT I own a WIN 7 Home Edition license. WIN 7 resides on my outdated 2012 built system. HOW do I upgrade to WIN 10 on my brand newly built system? I subscribe to OFFICE 365. How do I install that on my new system? All of this is oh so...
  8. Re-install win 10 from upgrade

Re-install win 10 from upgrade: Hello I recently did a free upgrade to win 10 from win 7 (legal copy). I downloaded the iso and made a bootable disc. I retrieved the installation key from my computer but i am just wondering if i can do a clean install with that disc and the installation key that i have or...
  9. Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7

Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7: I had Win 7 home on my laptop (64bit), then received and installed the free upgrade to Win 10 in Autumn 2015. The laptop is now running quite erratically and very slow and I feel it is time to do a clean re-install. I do not wish to go back to Win 7, just have a clean...
  10. Roll back to Win 7, then re install Win 10 later?

Roll back to Win 7, then re install Win 10 later?: Hi all, I see it is possible to go back to my previous OS Win 7 as I am having some issues with things in Win 10, so could I within the next year re-install Win 10 or is it limited to just the one download and install? Thanks in advance 15062