Windows 10: Superfetch breaking start menu

Discus and support Superfetch breaking start menu in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, Just made this account to see if anyone can help. I am running windows 10 on my desktop and the start menu broke on me. I did all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by TechnoCactus, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Superfetch breaking start menu

Hi all,
    Just made this account to see if anyone can help. I am running windows 10 on my desktop and the start menu broke on me. I did all the recommended fixes for it and that seemed to work for a few days then every time I would completely power down my desktop, the next time I would turn it on it was a 50/50 chance of the start menu working. So I eventually did a recovery -> reset this PC but kept most of my stuff and that fixed it. While I was re installing the things that didn't stay on my computer I was doing the basic turning off cortana, changing some security options, ect. I disabled prefetch and superfetch then shut down my computer and powered it back on. Again, the start menu button was broken*Mad. So, I turned on superfetch and prefetch and now it works fine. My question is WHY does the start menu break when those are disabled and is there a way anyone knows to get around this issue???

:)

TechnoCactus, Apr 13, 2016

2. Start Menu is greyed out

I have a serious problem with my laptop 1st is that the disk usage is always 100% and disabling superfetch and windows search madenit worse. It freezes. Secnd is that my start menu is greyed out and literally cant click anything.

DanielBaculi, Apr 13, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Superfetch

Hi Antoniojulio1,

Yes it is safe to disable Superfetch, it will not affect the running of your system

Click your Start Button, type services and hit Enter

In the Services app, scroll down to find Superfetch

Double click the Superfetch Service

If it is started, click Stop

Then set its Startup type to Disabled

Save and exit the Services app

That's It!

DaveM121, Apr 13, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Superfetch breaking start menu

If you stop making all these modifications you might have a chance to end up with a running system. Just leave everything alone. Don't try to be smarter than the system.

5. I have to agree, whats the point of turning of Prefetch and Superfetch? Neither hampers performance neither causes problems just leave them be.

logicearth, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Superfetch breaking start menu

1. Superfetch breaking start menu - Similar Threads - Superfetch breaking start

2. Right clicking anywhere breaks taskbar, context menu, and start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right clicking anywhere breaks taskbar, context menu, and start menu: My friend has the problem, when he boots up the PC, it is completely fine, but when he right clicks once, these happens:Context Menu does not work, but after when he left clicks a desktop icon before right clicking, the menu works.Auto-hide taskbar does not appear when...
  3. Right clicking anywhere breaks taskbar, context menu, and start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right clicking anywhere breaks taskbar, context menu, and start menu: My friend has the problem, when he boots up the PC, it is completely fine, but when he right clicks once, these happens:Context Menu does not work, but after when he left clicks a desktop icon before right clicking, the menu works.Auto-hide taskbar does not appear when...
  4. Windows 20H2 Domain Join breaks Start Menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 20H2 Domain Join breaks Start Menu: Upon doing a recovery of a system to start with a clean slate, it now installs 20H2. All looks good. Start menu and taskbar look normal. We then join it to our domain. Upon reboot, the start menu will not show the applications list. No option to expose it. Start menu...
  5. Windows start menu keeps breaking

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows start menu keeps breaking: From time to time the Windows start menu will become unresponsive. I’ve run sfc/scannow, as well as DISM. Neither finds any issues and the only thing that seems to fix it is a restart or restarting the Windows Explorer service. I’m one version behind the May release, but I’m...
  6. superfetch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    superfetch: why not have this service installed superfetch in services.msc windows 10 pro 1809 pc config: i3 6100 3.7ghz 8g DDR4 240Gb ssd Radeon r7 2gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/superfetch/7390f108-6c04-49eb-b91e-5ddb4d699f35
  7. Default Profile (CopyTo) Breaks Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Profile (CopyTo) Breaks Start Menu: Hi all, I do image maintenance for my team, and have been using the default profile (copyto) practice since Windows 7. I copied my image user profile to the default and set the permissions as I always do. I cleaned up the reg hive as I always have done, and recreated my...
  8. Restore points breaking start menu apps

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore points breaking start menu apps: Does anyone else have the problem of restoring from a restore point causing the Start Menu Apps to crash? After restoring from a restore point, every time apps such as Weather, Sports, any Store app requiring communication, crashes. I've been having this problem since build...
  9. Start Menu Breaks -- GPU Driver Related Issue?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Breaks -- GPU Driver Related Issue?: I had upgraded to Win10Pro from Win7 once, and rolled back/re-upgraded in order to recover my start menu once only to have it break again after rebooting. After spending several hours and attempting different fixes (DISM etc.) to recover my Start menu, the Microsoft start...
  10. Superfetch on SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Superfetch on SSD: I bought a Samsung SSD, should I disable superfetch now ? 51436