Windows 10: Support for multiple NIC's.

Discus and support Support for multiple NIC's. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey y'all, I've been over at the "Killer Networking" site put out by a company called Rivet Networks << Killer Networking - Home >> The reason I came... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mr Joey, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Mr Joey Win User

Support for multiple NIC's.

Hey y'all,
    I've been over at the "Killer Networking" site put out by a company called Rivet Networks << Killer Networking - Home >> The reason I came across them was setting up one of the grand-kids new gaming laptops with Win10... This laptop is pretty gutsy, and has a dual Killer NIC hardware set-up. A 1Gb ethernet NIC controller and a 801ac Wi-Fi controller... Apparently Killer Networking is doing something people have been trying to do for awhile, make appropriate use of multiple NIC's at the same time. I've tinkered with this in the past, and always run into the same caveats:

1) Your gonna be limitted by whatever size pipe you have as your gateway (In my house, that means ATT's U-Verse DSL at 25Mps down and around 2Mps up).

2) Windows only likes ONE default gateway.

However, I'm told that if you are running the proper server software, you CAN set up a machine to do load balancing between multiple NIC's and also make use of automatic fail-over whereby if your primary NIC fails, the OS can switch to another installed NIC as a backup.
    Neither of those ideas really seem compelling, because you simply can't get past the two windows caveats listed above. You won't see any speed increase with multiple NIC's, on account your pipe is only so big (25mps in my case) and you can get that through any 801b,g,n device (ethernet or wi-fi). And heck, if your NIC fails, how much trouble is it to open the desk drawer and pull out an old wi-fi dongle, snap it into a USB port and be up and running, pretty much plug and play, in a minute or two.

Still, the Killer stuff seems to work on the grand-kid's laptop, and by golly it seems pretty snappy on my current ATT U-Verse set-up. We plugged a cat5 cable from the ethernet port to the ATT box, and ATT's DHCP gave it a private address. We clicked on the ATT SSID for wi-fi and entered the passcode and the laptop got another private DHCP address for the Wi-Fi adapter. We launch the Killer Networking suite and sure enough, it appears to be doing load balancing which we can configure.
    So this fancy new laptop has done something I have been unable to do with all my other fancy stuff. It has gotten two DHCP addresses from the ATT box on one device, and appears to be doing load balancing between the two NICs on one device.
    Pretty dern slick. Don't know if there is any speed increase, but there certainly "appears" to be an increase in total bandwidth. The laptop has two private addresses into the gateway, does this help?

I'm not savy enough to know how the actual router does it's own load balancing. I can only guess that it must be similar to the old TSO (time sharing operation - yes I am that old). Say you have a dozen devices connected to your gateway via a router, besides doing the important job of "routing" all the incoming and outgoing packets to the right address/device, the router itself must also divide time between the dozen or so devices, more or less equally, I would assume... It probably does this in measurement units in the millisecond range, meaning it is "devoting" it's attention to any one single device for a very short time, then switching to the next, and so on, like a thousand times a second... That's the way TSO used to work about 100 years ago when I actually had the chops to comprehend all this!

My point? It would seem, that having two address slots for one device in the address pool might help a bit on the total bandwidth side. The speed is still gonna be limited, and there is only one gateway, so the help may be limited - even unnoticable, but still a pretty slick implementation/idea.
    Killer knows all this. They make no false claims. Thier software set-up (and website) clearly states the caveats, and says this will only really make a difference if you have multiple pipes/gateways to choose from, for example; if you could run cat5 to your U-verse box and then use w-fi on another network all-together, like your neighbor's... Did I just say that out loud? Ha!

SO the grand-kid has a cool machine. I want to know how Killer is doing this in Win10.
    Here's what I would like to do:
    I would like to have my beefy desktop connected to the world with my cat5 ethernet connection. Easy enough. Already done. I would now like to set my Hyper-V virtual machine to use my wi-fi dongle, and get it's own DHCP address from the ATT box. I mean, it IS a virtual machine, right? It should be able to have it's own NIC and negotiate it's own DHCP address just as if it were a seperate box sitting next to my desktop. My thinking would be thus:
    I use the VM to load and run all the insider previews of Win10. I keep the current RTM version as my primary OS. Right now, I share my ethernet connection with the VM. Since I prefer to download and install either ESD or ISO files for each preview on the VM, this means there is considerable time spent with the VM on sites like Megasync, downloading the latest 4Gb preview. I'd like my VM to have it's own DHCP address, using my wi-fi dongle to do this task, while I keep working on my primary with my ethernet and it's own private address.
    Just seems neater to me. Yes, there will be no speed gain. We are all still on the same pipe using the same gateway address... But, like the Killer Laptop arrangement, there may be a slight gain in overall bandwidth using seperate DHCP addresses.
    I reckon this is sorta like me doing my own rudimentary load balancing. Let the VM start a 2hr download via wi-fi and it's own DHCP address, while I work and surf via my ethernet and it's own DHCP address.
    Am I just spinning wheels, pressing buttons and seeing dials move for nothing? Or is there any benefit to multiple NIC's connected to the same pipe/gateway?
    Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts.
    Mr. Joey

:)

Mr Joey, Mar 28, 2016
  2. t3chl0rd Win User

Dual NIC teaming support

In my windows 7 pro 64-bit sp1 , dual nic teaming was supported by the drivers and working great. My question is since Windows 10 will more than likely not have driver support for older hardware will this feature be supported by the new Windows 10 included
    drivers.

Currently using onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8506 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controllers using Driver ver. 11.11.1.3

t3chl0rd, Mar 28, 2016
  3. Vijay B Win User
    Dual NIC teaming support

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10 Technical Preview testing.

As Windows 10 is still under development stage all the drivers for the hardware might not work as expected. You have to contact your hardware venter to check if there are any driver updates. As a work around, I would suggest you to try installing the drivers
    in compatibility mode.

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Post us the results after you try the above steps.

Vijay B, Mar 28, 2016
Thema:

Support for multiple NIC's.

1. Support for multiple NIC's. - Similar Threads - Support multiple NIC's

2. Multiple vlan on nic card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple vlan on nic card: Hello,I need to connect multiple vlan on a single NIC card in a pc with windows 11, how can I do it?I have a nic intel 802.1q and on windows 10 I able to configure vlan with "Intel PROSet software de Windows PowerShell" but it seems that the tool is not available for windows...
  3. Multiple vlan on nic card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple vlan on nic card: Hello,I need to connect multiple vlan on a single NIC card in a pc with windows 11, how can I do it?I have a nic intel 802.1q and on windows 10 I able to configure vlan with "Intel PROSet software de Windows PowerShell" but it seems that the tool is not available for windows...
  4. Multiple NICs 3, static IP's, subnet access problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple NICs 3, static IP's, subnet access problem: I have 3 NIC's on two different computers completely different hardware/NICs Both have the same problem. NIC1. 'Main Ethernet' - connected to ethernet and other computers via switch - static IP, subnet 192.168.1.* NIC2. 'Cameras Ethernet' - connect to IP cameras -...
  5. Multiple screen support MWB

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple screen support MWB: First off...Great Tool...not app. Apps just do things and tools enable you to get things done. My only question is if there is support or tips for multi monitor setups? I have 3 machines running 6 to 7 screens. My main config is a laptop with 3 screens, all side by side above...
  6. Benchmark NIC?

Benchmark NIC?: Hi, is there some way to consistently benchmark your NIC so one can try out different settings (offload etc) and see what works best? I am trying Psping, but it's very weird, if i have chrome opened it works faster then if it's not opened etc, which makes no sense....
  7. PCI NIC multiple IRQ's - Intel desktop CT adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PCI NIC multiple IRQ's - Intel desktop CT adapter: I am having a weird issue pertaining only to this piece of hardware Intel CT desktop adapter(pci add in NIC card). I originally discovered this issue after receiving reports that the PC's were either "locking up" or restarting. checking the dump files I see a message...
  8. Multiple CPU support

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multiple CPU support: Hello all, I've joined countless forums to try and get an answer. I'll be as brief and to the point as possible. I have a dell 7400 dual cpu socket. It has one x5472 processor, of which I bought another x5472. BOTH are SLASA from Coasta Rica. However the steppings are...
  9. Reliable GBit NIC with Jumbo frame support Windows 10

Reliable GBit NIC with Jumbo frame support Windows 10: I just had a wasted afternoon trying to install a TP-Link TG-3468 (Realtek 8168E) NIC on my W10 x64 system on a Dell Precision 690. Basically the whole thing either froze of bombed out with a WHEA Uncorrectable Error BSOD (even when trying to boot in Safe mode) during boot,...
  10. Teaming NICS ?

Teaming NICS ?: How do you assign matrix as without it only one will be used and its also no good unless the nic has a cpu which can handle the traffic instead of the pc or the bottle neck will be the pc. Using basic broadband on gigabyte nic one should have no problems at Barclays we ran...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows support of multiple nics