Windows 10: Surface 3 is requiring a password every time I wake it.

Discus and support Surface 3 is requiring a password every time I wake it. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have "Never" set as the option in then "If you've been away, when should Windows require you to sign in again?" in the new Settings menu. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Lord Method Man, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Surface 3 is requiring a password every time I wake it.

I have "Never" set as the option in then "If you've been away, when should Windows require you to sign in again?" in the new Settings menu.

I have "Don't require a password" selected in the Control Panel Power Options.

Surface 3 sleep and screen shut off are both set to 3 minutes on battery power. Before Windows 10 the option to sleep wasn't there as I recall, as screen shut off and sleep were the same thing on that system.

I've done a restart, yet every time it wakes from sleep I have to enter my account password. Why is something this simple not working?

Edit: I sign into my Surface 3 using a Microsoft Account.

:)

Lord Method Man, Aug 7, 2015
  2. MarioPapa Win User

Win 10 confused after creating microsoft account- Need Advice

Thanks for the reply. If I leave surface 3 tablet alone and it goes to sleep then it requires password upon waking still after doing what you suggested. If I restart after waking from sleep when it is requesting a password no password is needed. Any more
    suggestions on what to try to avoid entering password when surface wakes from sleep.

Thanks

MarioPapa, Aug 7, 2015
  3. Surface pro 3 does not lock when put to sleep

Since the 1/19/2016 update when I put my surface pro 3 to sleep it does not lock immediately. The setting to require a password on wake-up is set properly. It does not matter whether I put the computer to sleep with the power button or through the start
    menu. Prior to the update the system required a password when waking from sleep.

michael_new, Aug 7, 2015
  4. Snakeyes Win User

Surface 3 is requiring a password every time I wake it.

Your last sentence says it all. As long as you're signing in using the Microsoft account you have to use your password or else anyone else who has access to your surface 3 would have access to all your information. You can change this by going to a local account in settings.

Snakeyes, Aug 7, 2015
  5. Then why did this same Surface 3 not require it with Windows 8.1? Why do my desktop and laptops, both running Windows 10 with a Microsoft account, not require a password?

Also, it only does it if its been asleep for a few minutes.

6. Ztruker Win User
    I thought you controlled this through Power Options but on my laptop, those choices are disabled and can't be changed.

Surface 3 is requiring a password every time I wake it. [​IMG]

Ztruker, Aug 7, 2015
  7. Surface 3 is requiring a password every time I wake it.

8. This inconsistent, further indication that its a bug with Windows 10 + Surface.

I just opened my Surface 3 after being plugged in and asleep for over 12 hours - no password prompt. I put it down and come back to it 5 minutes later and it requires me to enter my password. Its hit and miss.

Lord Method Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Surface 3 is requiring a password every time I wake it.

1. Surface 3 is requiring a password every time I wake it. - Similar Threads - Surface requiring password

2. Required account password every time

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Required account password every time: When I sign in to my computer, it requires my account password and suggests to set a windows pinand I don't want thisevery time I open my computer it always asks me to enter password how to stopthis????...
  3. Required account password every time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Required account password every time: When I sign in to my computer, it requires my account password and suggests to set a windows pinand I don't want thisevery time I open my computer it always asks me to enter password how to stopthis????...
  4. Required account password every time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change password required every time when i log in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change password required every time when i log in: Hi,my laptop asks me to change my user password every time i startup my laptop. When it gets to the username password screen, i type my password then it gives a message.."The user's password must be changed before signing in"It pops up the new password and confirm password...
  6. Change password required every time when i log in

Change password required every time when i log in: Hi,my laptop asks me to change my user password every time i startup my laptop. When it gets to the username password screen, i type my password then it gives a message.."The user's password must be changed before signing in"It pops up the new password and confirm password...
  7. How can I remove a sign-in being required every time the computer wakes from sleep?

How can I remove a sign-in being required every time the computer wakes from sleep?: Hello, I'm trying to remove the security options at the sign-in screen, but I'm not having any luck so far. I've changes the sign-in settings to not require a Windows Hello sign in and changed the "Require Sign-in" dropdown box to never, but I still have to type out the...
  8. password required after waking

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    password required after waking: Hi there, My laptop now requires a password after waking from sleep mode, and it won't let me change this, despite me being the admin. I realize this is a security "feature", but it's unwanted, how can I remove this? Thanks for your help!!...
  9. Require password at wake up.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Require password at wake up.: I have Windows 10 latest update on a new Lenovo laptop. I want it to require a password when I wake it up. I have it set to sleep after 10 minutes, which it does OK. Under "sign-in options", "require-sign in", I have chosen "when PC wakes up from sleep". But, when I wake it...
  10. require password when monitor wakes up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    require password when monitor wakes up: require password when monitor wakes up display is only hibernated not computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/require-password-when-monitor-wakes-up/7cfcd0d1-253f-4dbe-a8b8-289d282d1b34