Windows 10: Surface Book (gen1) - 17713 - does not work with Display Link extended mode

Discus and support Surface Book (gen1) - 17713 - does not work with Display Link extended mode in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Since the last 2 Windows 10 builds, I noticed that my Display Link (using one extended monitor) does not work as expected. "Duplicate" display works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by asubmani, Jul 15, 2018.

1. asubmani Win User

Surface Book (gen1) - 17713 - does not work with Display Link extended mode

Since the last 2 Windows 10 builds, I noticed that my Display Link (using one extended monitor) does not work as expected.

"Duplicate" display works as expected

"Extended" does not work and my extended display spills over to my primary display on the Sbook.

In some cases after a reboot the issue gets fixed temporarily but every time I disconnect it, the issue comes back (screen spill)

I upgraded to 17713.rs5 release hoping that my issue will be resolved, but it has become worse. Now the extended display spills over all the time.

Upgrading to the latest display link driver also did not resolve the issue.

Thanks and Regards

Mani

Moved from: Surface /Surface Book / Display and screen

:)

asubmani, Jul 15, 2018
  2. ZF84 Win User

DVI not working on extended monitor with Surface Book docking station

I recently purchased a Surface Book and docking station to go along with it. When extending the display to an external screen via the docking station, the VGA works fine, but not the DVI. If I connect the DVI directly to the Surface Book, it works fine,
    but not with the docking station. I've tried changing the settings on my screen, but it will not switch from D-SUB to DVI. When connected by DVI through the docking station, it appears that it recognizes that the external screen is there; it just doesn't
    display anything. I'm running Windows 10. Help!!

3. Surface Book and Dock Issues

I have a surface book and a surface dock.

Recently (april 2019) I ran into the problem that the USB ports on the dock did not work when the surface book was on. MS support asked me to update firmware and that failed too. So thanks to them, they replaced both my surface docks. - Again Thanks MS.

Here is a new problem (and yes I had to update the firmware on the new docks too. Yes I have the latest drivers for my monitor.)

1. I use extended display, with the mini display port and using cables from MS

2. I use the surface book fully folded down (meaning display is up so I can write freely and the base is docked, but the keys cannot be used).

3. My monitor is in portrait more.

4. Every now then the display will stop working on the extended monitor mode and will only display on the surface screen, Then suddenly in one of the reboots it will start working again and continue till it cycles again

5. What I found to trigger this behavior is when I am traveling or using the surface in a standalone mode and then plug it back on my desk it occurs. Thought not all the times

Any idea what is going on?

Running Windows 10, build 1809 (latest) with all updates

RungunNathan, Jul 15, 2018
  4. Brink Win User

Updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 March 7th 2017

Source: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...-7-march-2017/

Brink, Jul 15, 2018
Thema:

1. Surface Book (gen1) - 17713 - does not work with Display Link extended mode - Similar Threads - Surface Book gen1

2. Extend Display Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extend Display Not Working: My laptop's screen is broken. However, the laptop itself runs fine. To compensate for the broken laptop screen, I have it plugged into an external monitor via HDMI. I also have a second monitor which is actually a graphics display tablet. I cant seem to extend or project my...
  3. Extend Display Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extend Display Not Working: My laptop's screen is broken. However, the laptop itself runs fine. To compensate for the broken laptop screen, I have it plugged into an external monitor via HDMI. I also have a second monitor which is actually a graphics display tablet. I cant seem to extend or project my...
  4. Surface book 2 does not start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface book 2 does not start: The device, when turned on, on a black screen with the microsoft logo, displays the download as if it were an update, the download reaches almost the end, freezes, and the device reboots. And so in a circle. I can’t go into uefi, I just don’t go in holding the volume and...
  5. Surface book 2 does not start

Surface book 2 does not start: The device, when turned on, on a black screen with the microsoft logo, displays the download as if it were an update, the download reaches almost the end, freezes, and the device reboots. And so in a circle. I can’t go into uefi, I just don’t go in holding the volume and...
  6. Surface book 2 does not start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Surface book tablet mode sleep/hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Surface book tablet mode sleep/hibernate: I have a Surface book 1, still going strong. I have an external monitor through the original Microsoft dock. Recently, to add real estate I started using my surface book in tablet mode on a stand with the power going into the bottom of the tablet giving me a second monitor....
  8. Surface book tablet mode sleep/hibernate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface book tablet mode sleep/hibernate: I have a Surface book 1, still going strong. I have an external monitor through the original Microsoft dock. Recently, to add real estate I started using my surface book in tablet mode on a stand with the power going into the bottom of the tablet giving me a second monitor....
  9. Surface book tablet mode sleep/hibernate

10. Surface Book

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Book: can I download icloud onto my Surface Book and if so how? want to import pics stored there from my iPhone. tried to trf directrly from the iPhone but they are held as optimised files and don't have enough storage to de-optimised if that makes sense. hope you can help....