Windows 10: Surface Pro 1 - Build 10122 - Startup Loop, can't login or recover.

Discus and support Surface Pro 1 - Build 10122 - Startup Loop, can't login or recover. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm going to describe in as much detail the problem I have, and what I can access, and what works and doesn't work. [MEDIA] My Surface Pro is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ksdixon, May 22, 2015.

1. ksdixon Win User

Surface Pro 1 - Build 10122 - Startup Loop, can't login or recover.

I'm going to describe in as much detail the problem I have, and what I can access, and what works and doesn't work.

My Surface Pro is stuck in a start-up loop - 'Preparing Automatic Repair' with a circle going round, flashes a quick look at my desktop which says 'Evaluation Copy. Build 10122' and flashes and empty cmd prompt box, before changing the screen to the VOL DOWN + POWER "Startup Options" Screen. From here nothing seems to work. I also have the ability to hold VOL UP + POWER to see the UEFI Firmware Settings screen.

Surface Pro 1 - Build 10122 - Startup Loop, can't login or recover. [​IMG]

Right off the bat, from the first page of the Startup Options pages, I cannot 'Use A Device'. The Surface Pro recovery usb pen I created by downloading the Recovery iso from MS's website will not work; nor will a Windows 7 OEM Installation CD that I tried using via an external USB DVD drive. Both Media are recognised, the usb pen as a "UEFI: SANDISK Cruzer Blade 1.27", and the external DVD Drive as a USB Class. When attempting to use either, the log-on process just starts over again, the preparing automatic fixes loop kicks-in, and i find myself back at the Startup Options page. No idea why the Surface Pro recovery USB didn't work for me. It was a long shot with the Win7 installation CD, I guess I was just hoping I could repair any missing windows or boot files.

Advancing into the Troubleshoot menu, I cannot 'Reset This PC' by keeping files. It simply says it can't be done, and to try Advanced Options in the Troubleshoot area. Trying to 'Reset This PC' by removing everything, it asks me to insert my Windows Installation or Recovery Media to continue. It simply says the media inserted is not valid for both the usb pen and the installation cd.

Heading into the Advanced Options underneath Troubleshooting menu.. System Restore to a previous restore point will not work, as System Restore is turned off on Win10 Tech Preview, and can only be turned-on from an online OS.

- System Image Recovery fails to find a system image on the Surface itself, or my USB pen, even after I click refresh. But if I click advanced and go to the 'search for a driver' option, I can poke around the surface pro's remaining file system and see the current state of my Surface Pro's harddrive is as follows:
    - Windows (C) - 110 GB free of 110 GB.
    -- Under C\Users there is only Adminstrator and Public, not a folder for my name like there usually is.
    -- The user folders in ThisPC (Documents etc.) currently point to X:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile.

- Local Disk (E) - 115 MB free of 449 MB.

- Boot (X) - 503 MB free of 505 MB.
    -- Under X\Users there is only Public, no folders Administrator for my name.
    -- Under X:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile location there is only an AppData folder.

I have the option of doing some things here, like I can right click and create a new folder, then right click and refresh in order for the new folder I just made to show up. I also appear to have the option of clicking on the Windows / Local Disk / Boot drives and formatting them?

This 'search for a driver' menu will also see the USB Pendrive here, but I cannot initiate any kind of setup/repair from here, as it returns a message saying "The specified location does not contain any information about your hardware".

Start-Up Repair just goes to a 'Diagnosing Your PC' screen, but then spits out an error message that Start-Up Repair couldn't fix your PC.
    It creates a log file for me, and tells me to press Advanced Options and try something else.

There is Comand Prompt, but I don't know any code (DOS?) to manually fix things.

Start-Up Settings simply reboots the Surface Pro, which launches the 'Preparing Automatic Repair' loop again. No help there.

The UEFI Firmware Settings square simply restarts the machine and loads the VOL UP + POWER button UEFI Screen. No help there.

'See more Recovery Options' is the last option. The only thing it allows me to do is to 'Roll back to the previous build'. This does not work, and suggests I Reset the PC, but also doens't work.

What exactly are my options here? At this point I would by happy to just be able to get back to a factory reset Surface Pro with Windows 8.0.

:)

ksdixon, May 22, 2015

2. 0xc00021a problem with Windows 10

If a person can't even log on because the computer is stuck in a loop then this reply useless. the original poster, and I, are stuck in a loop. I'm using a surface pro. How do we get out of the loop?

JosephineDeCarlo, May 22, 2015
  3. Microsoft wants to know - Anyone seeing issues with the April updates KB3147461 and KB3147458?

Is anyone having issues on Infinite loop right after windows logo startup - as it if is trying to bring the login screen but it stuck at the dots going in circles? Very annoying as I can't login!!

RedPantera, May 22, 2015
  4. ksdixon Win User

I got onto the Surface Support team and was talked through the diskpart procedure in comand prompt.
    At the moment I am waiting for an old junky laptop to transfer the Surface Pro Recovery Image I created back onto my pendrive (taking ages!), but the support staff seemed sure that once that was done, the usb pen would no longer return a 'media invalid' error when I try to "reset my pc" using it. Fingers Crossed.

ksdixon, May 22, 2015
  5. ksdixon Win User
    It worked. I'm back on my SPro 1 now. Phew!

ksdixon, May 22, 2015
  6. Dear random guy than you! You have solved my problem thank you!

gappy12345, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Surface Pro 1 - Build 10122 - Startup Loop, can't login or recover. - Similar Threads - Surface Pro Build

2. windows surface 3 pro. recover windows!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows surface 3 pro. recover windows!!: I have a windows surface 3 pro.I need to recover windows, however I need I ran into the missing partition problem.I tried simply running bootrec commands however they were unsucessful. any ideas?...
  3. Surface Pro Restart Loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Pro Restart Loop: Today, for seemingly no reason, my Surface Pro got stuck in a restart loop. It says "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you." It then gives me various Stop codes, some of them having .sys in the name. I can get to the UEFI settings and choose...
  4. After Startup and login my Surface 4 Pro shuts down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After Startup and login my Surface 4 Pro shuts down: Blue screen stating a error has occurred and then needs to restart. It restarts, log on and it works fine for the rest of your session. The restart takes 2-3 times longer than it normal startup time and also after you input your password , this also takes longer and is not...
  5. Windows 10 Build 10074/10122/10125

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Build 10074/10122/10125: Hey guys i have the past 2 weeks tryed these 3 builds with nvidia windows 10 beta driver 352.63, 352.84 and windows 8.1 352.86 and SLI turned ON. And in all situations i get random stutter/fps lag or lag spikes. I have managed to reduce the amount of stutter and etc with the...
  6. Build 10122 and bitdefender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Build 10122 and bitdefender: Don't try installing bitdefender on build 10122 unless you're very familiar with using safe mode. You'll get the frowny BSOD screen to greet you and a non booting machine..... 6195
  7. since build 10122

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    since build 10122: Ever since build 10122 installed, my PC has been going round and round "Checking for updates." It goes on for hours and hours. It finally ends with " There were some problems installing updates. We'll try again later. error (0x800705b4) This has been going on for a week or...
  8. Build 10122 - Activation required or not

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Build 10122 - Activation required or not: Hi there So far I haven't had any requests for activation on build 10122 - however if you look in control panell ===>system you'll see under Windows activation that the Product ID is not available. Will this version require activation (previous builds did) and if so...
  9. AMD GPU Driver Update for Build 10122

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    AMD GPU Driver Update for Build 10122: Updated driver availability for AMD GPU's for Build 10122 was announced about 24 hours ago by Gabe Aul and we are to get it through Windows Update. I have a laptop with 10122 and fast build selected. I have asked to "Check for Update" over a dozen times and it is not found....
  10. New Build 10122 coming today!

in Windows 10 News
    New Build 10122 coming today!: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date