Windows 10: Surface Pro 3 - Can't TOUCH 'x' to close apps or double tap to expand

Discus and support Surface Pro 3 - Can't TOUCH 'x' to close apps or double tap to expand in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Latest version of Win10 with latest updates. Using the keyboard, or a USB mouse...or the Surface Pen, everything works great...but I can't use my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimosity, Aug 16, 2016.

1. jimosity Win User

Surface Pro 3 - Can't TOUCH 'x' to close apps or double tap to expand

Latest version of Win10 with latest updates.
    Using the keyboard, or a USB mouse...or the Surface Pen, everything works great...but I can't use my finger to touch any app in the top menu bar. I can touch any menu item and anywhere in the app and it works fine...but I can't actually click on the X to close, maximize / minimize, etc. I also can't double tap the top bar to expand the app.
    Again, I can do everything with the keyboard / pen / mouse...and touch works fine with everything EXCEPT any item in the top bar. What's up with that?!
    I've done a screen calibration successfully and there are no issues with anything there...it's gotta be something in the OS somehow.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    PS: This is on a Surface Pro 3.
    I have a Surface 3 as well but it does not do this.

:)

jimosity, Aug 16, 2016
  2. Lynne7901 Win User

My touchscreen no loger works witha single tap after upgrading to windows 10

I upgraded my surface pro 3 to windows 10. Since then my touch screen no longer works with a single tap. on the onscreen keyboard, I have to tap on the letter once, this just highlights it, I then have to double tap to enter.

The screen work with my pen, I just have this problem when using touch.

Lynne7901, Aug 16, 2016
  3. BrianTJ Win User
    My HTC Touch Pro 2 Freezes

My HTC Tpuch Pro 2 freezes. The HTC web site references the following fix: "Open the Task Manager (top right corner icon), clicked on the “tool” icon, then the “button” tab, and changed the “Enable the X button to end running programs,” selection form “End
    programs by tapping and holding X” to “End programs by tapping X.” Now, when you tap the “X” to close a program, it actually closes, and frees up more system memory. The same result can be achieved by tapping and holding the “X”, rather than changing the setting,
    if preferred. The objective is to CLOSE the programs and free up the memory."

The Touch Pro 2 I bought has 6.5 factory installed and I can't find the button referenced in the fix in Task Manager. How do I change X to close a program on Windows 6.5?

Thanks.

BrianTJ, Aug 16, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Sounds more like an alignment issue that the hardware is calibrated for an older GPU and touch screen driver than is installed now. It is not that hard to do. SeeThe Microsoft Surface touchscreen | Touchscreen problems | Touch ...

Any device with a touch screen should be calibrated on a regular basis.

Enter calibrate, use the arrow keys to highlight Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input, and press Enter. (With a mouse, click Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input.) Step 3: Press the Tab key until the Reset button is selected and press Enter."

bro67, Aug 16, 2016
  5. jimosity Win User
    I was able to do the calibration once successfully but it didn't solve the issue (which I mentioned in my OP).
    I attempted to reset it again and try to recalibrate and it wouldn't even respond to my touch to complete a calibration successfully. I was fully ready to give up and take it to the Microsoft store...but a couple hours of digging around on the internet and I found this link.
    I downloaded this, ran it - it extracted a couple files to a folder...I ran the executable and it said "do not touch the screen" while it did it's process...then a few seconds later, it was complete....and now my screen is 100% right again!
    So - whatever this calibration app does, it fixed it!!

I just wanted to share this in case someone else runs into a similar situation.
    Sony eSupport - Electronics - Drivers Software

jimosity, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Surface Pro 3 - Can't TOUCH 'x' to close apps or double tap to expand - Similar Threads - Surface Pro Can't

2. SURFACE PRO X

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SURFACE PRO X: BonjourJ ai une surface pro X sq1 sous windows 10 et je n'arrive pas a passer a Windows 11 avec une mise à jour.Impossible car j ai un processeur arm64.Pourriez vous m'aider ?Merci...
  3. SURFACE PRO X

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SURFACE PRO X: BonjourJ ai une surface pro X sq1 sous windows 10 et je n'arrive pas a passer a Windows 11 avec une mise à jour.Impossible car j ai un processeur arm64.Pourriez vous m'aider ?Merci...
  4. SURFACE PRO X

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Surface Pro X

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Surface Pro X: Hi, Speaking with customer service is awful. The language barrier and the lack of understanding what the customer is saying is ridiculous. I purchased a surface pro x and it wouldnt get passed the service screen which was black i called microsoft support and they could not...
  6. surface pro x

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    surface pro x: Hi all i have recently bought the surface pro x and I have found out the hard way that it dose not support autocad is this something that microsoft is working on so that it can be supported or should I send the surface pro x bak and change for a pro 7 as I don't really want...
  7. surface pro X Whiteboard app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    surface pro X Whiteboard app: Hi, Using the whiteboard app on the surface pro X.. it crashes whenever you copy,cut or paste - any ideas? I tried updating everything; also reset the whiteboard app.. but nothing seems to work. On both of my intel machines it works fine. Any ideas? Thanks...
  8. Double Tap

in Windows 10 Customization
    Double Tap: When I want to "enter" something and I tap that key, it always returns to the same empty space and I have to re-enter and tap "enter" again. What can cause that? It is annoying....
  9. Behind the design: Surface Laptop 3, Surface Pro 7, and Surface Pro X Surface

in Windows 10 News
    Behind the design: Surface Laptop 3, Surface Pro 7, and Surface Pro X Surface: Today we revealed updates to the Surface device portfolio for the commercial channel, including Surface Laptop 3, Surface Pro 7, and Surface Pro X.If you’re a tech enthusiast seeking an inside look behind the design of these new devices with complete specifications, you’ll...
  10. The Surface family expands with the Surface 3

in Windows 10 News
    The Surface family expands with the Surface 3: vPto6XpRq-U Today, the Surface Team has announced their thinnest and lightest Surface yet: the Surface 3. The Surface 3 borrows a lot of awesomeness from its big brother the Surface Pro 3 – like its design and the use of premium materials – but is more compact at only...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface pro 3 cant close windows