Windows 10: Surface Pro 4: closing type cover activates tablet mode

Discus and support Surface Pro 4: closing type cover activates tablet mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Surface Pro 4 with the Surface Dock hooked to an external monitor (via DisplayPort) and a keyboard & mouse. When I close the type cover on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimtut, Aug 14, 2016.

1. jimtut Win User

Surface Pro 4: closing type cover activates tablet mode

I have a Surface Pro 4 with the Surface Dock hooked to an external monitor (via DisplayPort) and a keyboard & mouse.

When I close the type cover on the Surface, it automatically activates Tablet Mode. Now, I know I can change the behavior to make Windows 10 ask me what to before switching modes, but until I switched to using a dock and external monitor, I've never needed/wanted Windows 10 to ask me! It always "did the right thing" with the Surface, correctly responding to the type cover be attached, detached, or folded back.

How can I tell Windows 10 or the Surface to NOT activate tablet mode when the type cover is closed?

Thanks,
    Jim

:)

jimtut, Aug 14, 2016
  2. WillFR Win User

Microsoft: a very small request about on-screen keyboard behavior

All this time, I thought there was a missing 'feature' in Windows 10. That feature being: when you are using Edge on a tablet like the Surface Pro 4 without the keyboard/type cover attached, and you tap a text entry field that is on the lower portion of
    the screen, the on-screen keyboard would cover it and you could not see what you are typing! It turns out though that if you go into Tablet mode, the on-screen keyboard will appear
    below the window and will not cover the text. The problem is, I don't and can't use Tablet mode, and I know many other feel the same way. (Also, my Surface Pro 4 doesn't prompt me to switch to tablet mode when I remove the keyboard.)

My request: please extend this functionality to non-tablet mode. People shouldn't have to go into tablet mode for the correct on-screen keyboard behavior. The on-screen keyboard should never cover text and prevent you from seeing what you are typing, tablet
    mode or not

WillFR, Aug 14, 2016
  3. Jake_540 Win User
    Surface Pro 4 screen active when type cover closed and external monitor in use.

I have a Surface Pro 4 with a Surface Dock. I have an external monitor plugged into the dock.

When I turn on or restart the Surface Pro with the Type Cover closed, both the Surface display and the external monitor are activated. I then have to go into the Display settings to select "Show only on 2" to turn off the Surface display and achieve the
    correct resolution on the external monitor.

Is there any way I can get the Surface to realise when the Type Cover is closed and only display on an external monitor?

Jake_540, Aug 14, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

Hi Jim....open Settings, type Tablet in find a setting box.....click on "tablet mode settings"....see attachment.
    If that doesn't work change top box to "use desktop mode" when you sign in.

dencal, Aug 15, 2016
  5. jimtut Win User
    Yes, I've seen that setting (and I am using it for now), but that will prevent auto-tablet-mode when doing "normal" things like removing the type cover. I'd prefer the device to NOT think it should be in tablet mode when the cover is closed and connected to an external monitor.

jimtut, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Surface Pro 4: closing type cover activates tablet mode - Similar Threads - Surface Pro closing

2. Surface Pro 4 with Windows 11 type cover won't connect.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 4 with Windows 11 type cover won't connect.: Surface Pro 4 with Windows 11 type cover won't connect. I've tried all of the MS and Internet fixes all to no avail. It seems as though the type cover is not getting power from the tablet. Keyboard works on another SP4, so I know that that's not the issue. it was working ok...
  3. Surface Pro 4 with Windows 11 type cover won't connect.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 4 with Windows 11 type cover won't connect.: Surface Pro 4 with Windows 11 type cover won't connect. I've tried all of the MS and Internet fixes all to no avail. It seems as though the type cover is not getting power from the tablet. Keyboard works on another SP4, so I know that that's not the issue. it was working ok...
  4. Surface Pro 8 - Type Cover

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 8 - Type Cover: Is the Surface Pro 8 with Windows 11 compatible with the Type Cover I have for my Surface Pro 4? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-8-type-cover/bf683ef6-108f-40bb-b7f6-cdb5901a8500
  5. Surface Pro 8 - Type Cover

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 8 - Type Cover: Is the Surface Pro 8 with Windows 11 compatible with the Type Cover I have for my Surface Pro 4? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-8-type-cover/bf683ef6-108f-40bb-b7f6-cdb5901a8500
  6. Surface Pro 4 Type Cover stopped working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 4 Type Cover stopped working.: Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 10/8/2019 12:47:52 PM Event ID: 442 Task Category: None Level: Warning Keywords: User: SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-UO0VK4E...
  7. Surface Pro 4: Type cover port and USB 3.0 not working

Surface Pro 4: Type cover port and USB 3.0 not working: Hello, all. This problem is driving me nuts. Have an upcoming assignment to do and with the keyboard not working, this premium device is worthless. The type cover keyboard works perfectly in the UEFI along with the trackpad, so the issue is 100% software related. It has...
  8. Surface Pro 3 Type Cover issue

Surface Pro 3 Type Cover issue: I wiped the hard drive the typecover keyboard only lights up when I have almost no Ipower in the battery,as soon as I try to recharge the battery it goes black. I cannot remember the password,I have even tried the password for other things.I am beginning to think I am...
  9. Surface Pro 4 Type Cover

Surface Pro 4 Type Cover: Recently, I have been trying to use my Surface Pro 4 with the keyboard cover, but the keyboard cover has been unresponsive. I have tried everything on your troubleshoot page for the keyboard cover from the two-button shut down to cleaning it to updating and resetting my...
  10. Surface Pro 4 Type Cover not working after Anniversary Update

Surface Pro 4 Type Cover not working after Anniversary Update: Surface Pro 4 Type Cover not working after Windows 10 Anniversary Update. I have noticed in Device Manger that under Human Interface Devices that Wacom Device has a yellow triangle. If I look at Wacom Device Properties I see Device status --- This device cannot start...