Windows 10: Surface Pro 4 problems after sysprep and latest upgrade

Discus and support Surface Pro 4 problems after sysprep and latest upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Okay here's the deal; I have seven of these to set up for users here at work, and we have several applications that need to be preconfigured and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pricetech, Dec 29, 2015.

1. pricetech Win User

Surface Pro 4 problems after sysprep and latest upgrade

Okay here's the deal;
    I have seven of these to set up for users here at work, and we have several applications that need to be preconfigured and standardized for users. Thus the boot into Audit Mode for setup and Sysprepping with "CopyProfile=True" in my xml file.

First two bombed and Microsoft Support has been no help. Their suggestion is that I return it to the point of purchase as defective. I'll skip the obvious rant and move on.

First symptom that reared its ugly head was that accounts that log in after the latest version update are flawed in that the Start Menu doesn't work and there's no context menu on icons in the taskbar. I haven't dug any deeper for symptoms.

Second symptom, which came up after a fresh image downloaded from Microsoft was freezing during SysPrep, but on this attempt I installed all the updates before I sysprepped instead of after.

The second Surface exhibited the same symptoms as the first. It was SysPrepped, then updated.

I know the short answer is either "don't upgrade" or "don't sysprep" but neither of those are viable options. I can (I think) block the upgrade from happening, but that's not really what I want to do. Not SysPrepping means I'm going to be holding a LOT of hands helping users configure their profiles and hunting down applications, not something I have time for.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated. Also, if I've missed something, just ask. I'll flag this thread for notification.

Thanks

Joe

:)

pricetech, Dec 29, 2015

2. Window 10 - Build 14393.105 - System Freeze after enable "Hey Cortana" Feature

I have same issue with Surface Pro 4 after anniversary update.

When 'Hey Cortana' enabled, whole Windows got frozen after using a while.

Problem still exists even with latest build 14393.222.

Archie Yang, Dec 29, 2015
  3. Background Theme does not display after upgrading to new Windows 10 Anniversary

After upgrading my Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 with the new Windows 10 Anniversary upgrade I get a blank screen when my computer goes into sleep mode. My Windows Online Theme screen backgrounds do not appear.

I never had any problems before. This occurred after the upgrade.

Greg

GregoryJones_KC10, Dec 29, 2015
  4. pricetech Win User

UPDATE;
    For anyone following the thread; I can disable the version update by checking the "Defer Upgrades" box in Windows Update - Advanced.
    Not really a solution, but a workaround that will have to do for now.

If anything further develops, I'll pass it along.

pricetech, Jan 3, 2016
  5. muppet Win User
    I encountered this issue also. Part of my build is disabling windows firewall as we use different product. I had to re enable the windows firewall and within a few seconds the Start Menu would start to work again. I could then disable the firewall again, and on reboot, logging on with the same account no longer had the issue. Creating new accounts did though, until firewall enabled again.

Would be good if MS could provide a a suface pro 4 image based on latest Win 10 Nov build.

muppet, Jan 7, 2016
  6. pricetech Win User
    Interesting. I too had disabled the firewall on those first few I was working with. When I get a chance to tinker, I'll see if I get the same results as you.

pricetech, Jan 7, 2016
  7. VikingKen Win User
    New Member - I'm trying to grab an Image from the Surface Pro 4.
    I'd like to have an Out of the Box Image. I normally use Ghost to Image our units for deployment. It's not allowing me to boot from the USB. I'm Open to Any Suggestions.

VikingKen, Feb 1, 2016
  8. shelz Win User

Does this option work for you? Power + Volume up to get into the BIOS?
    Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

shelz, Feb 1, 2016
  9. muppet Win User
    Well, Symantec have a few issues with Surface Pro's at present Symantec - Ghost Compatibility with Microsoft Surface Pro Tablets

I was able to get around it by booting from a recovery USB key - Download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface and then opening a command prompt in which i then manually launched ghost64.exe in order to make an image. I am still testing but so far i am able to make an image and restore it

muppet, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Surface Pro 4 problems after sysprep and latest upgrade - Similar Threads - Surface Pro problems

2. Surface pro 4

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface pro 4: Will not allow use of mouse and it is showing red as usual. Restart and shutdown were done. Also can't delete numerous emails using shift. Help please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-4/7672285a-3b80-40cd-951b-38b76f76bc2e
  3. Surface Pro 4

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Surface Pro 4: I have an issue where when I switch on my Surface Pro 4 it boots are far as the screen saver and shows at the bottom that it is in Flight Mode only, no wifi etc. It also states the camera not available and requests sign in with pin which it will not accept or my password will...
  4. Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Surface Pro 4: System and Firmware Update. 115195
  5. Surface Pro 4

Surface Pro 4: Updates available Surface Pro 4. 57858
  6. Surface Pro 4

Surface Pro 4: Quite a large system update available today. 47842
  7. Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Support
    Surface Pro 4: Anyone else think it will run cooler than the Surface Pro 3? Anyone experienced this? 28169
  8. Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Support
    Surface Pro 4: So when am I going to be able to get a nice fanless SP4 machine to match this nice Windows 10 build! My SP3 is great, but starting to feel slightly tired (keyboard is looking very worn out) and fan always spins. Time for a refresh soon once SP4 comes out! 8304
  9. Surface Pro 4 Unattended Sysprep Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Pro 4 Unattended Sysprep Issue: Hi Guys, Im attempting create an unattended sysprep windows 10 installation (1607) for the Surface Pro 4 using a USB and WinPE. I dont have the current script with me but the process is roughly the following; Install win 10 - audit mode Generate an unattend.xml using...
  10. Surface Pro 4 Sysprep WinPE Help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Pro 4 Sysprep WinPE Help: Hi, im currently close to finishing sysprep on the surface pro 4. Im using winpe and StartNet.cmd to run a script, specifically the following script; @ECHO OFF :: Geovert :: 2016-03-09 :: Deploy Windows 10 wpeinit echo select disk 0 > diskpart%ID%.txt echo clean >>...