Windows 10: Surround sound does not work proper after upgrade to windows 10.

Discus and support Surround sound does not work proper after upgrade to windows 10. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After upgrading to windows 10 from windows 7, surround sound does not work properly. Whether using analog or digital. First of all, 5.1 now has side... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cooloutac, Jun 29, 2016.

1. cooloutac Win User

Surround sound does not work proper after upgrade to windows 10.

After upgrading to windows 10 from windows 7, surround sound does not work properly. Whether using analog or digital.
    First of all, 5.1 now has side speakers available instead of rear speakers. I had to actually unplug from rear channel and plug into side channel to get surround speakers working. But it still does not sound right, it does not sound as it should. Not like it did in win 7 I don't think this is proper format and mapping. Using the same exact drivers in win 7, I get rear speaker option (not side channels) and it sounds proper.

Furthermore, When watching videos in vlc, wmp, or browsers. THX Trustudio surround settings have no affect on sound. And Neither do any of the realtek control panel enhancements. Only time realtek enchancements have an affect is when playing mp3 file formats in wmp in stereo mode.

Updating to the latest realtek driver does not fix this issue. I believe this is a Microsoft windows 10 issue. One of the things MS has always had over linux is better sound and surround sound controls. This is a huge step backwards and a disappointing experience.

Also I notice now under codec it says alc3220 instead of alc887 like on win 7. So I think it is not recognizing the correct hardware?

Thanks,

Rich.

:)

cooloutac, Jun 29, 2016

2. 5.1 surround output through optical jack audio using windows 10

I used to play 5.1 surround sound through the optical jack output on my surround system when using windows 8.1 but after upgrading to windows 10 it only allows me to play as stereo output.

The sound playback panel doesn't allow me to configure it to 5.1 surround and only shows stereo output settings.

I upgraded to the latest realtek drivers but it's not working.

Roberto_Piccirilli, Jun 29, 2016
  3. BrandonZA Win User
    5.1 Digital Optical not working in Windows 10

How would you like me to prove it? After the big update from microsoft,
    the issue has been fixed.

"surround sound is working with Windows 10"

Surround sound has always worked on windows 10. SPDIF was the issue. Not "surround sound"

BrandonZA, Jun 29, 2016
  4. fireberd Win User

There is a notice on the Dell site that this has not been tested (or supported) for Win 10.
    This is the notice:
    Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade

Thus the problem is not Windows 10, but your PC.

fireberd, Jun 29, 2016
  5. cooloutac Win User
    Hmm, I'd imagine most products are not tested with windows 10. The whole not needing to upgrade your hardware to to be compatible with windows 10 was a lie I guess. I should of known better. In reality, its the same as going from xp to win 7 , requiring much newer hardware? Microsoft is deceiving for leading people to believe otherwise. From my googling, It seems that most people upgrading to windows 10 from 7 have surround sound issues. And there has been no fix for a year. MS acknowledges the issue, but it seems they are putting the burden more on realtek. That is a shame. I wonder if the real reasons are that MS is in cahoots with the MIAA and they feel surround sound should only work for retail dvd's or something lmao... But they are cutting their nose to spite their face because this also affects games, most streams, and videos people download. Most people don't even have dvd drives anymore...

Win 10 also runs about 5 degrees hotter then windows 7, even after disabling many things win 10 still seems to use more power. Even though nothing unusual is shown in the task manager as if it is a hidden process. And I mysteriously have no go back to windows 7 button after only 3 days of using win 10. I never used this clean up tool since I don't even know what it is and I have not deleted any files. I guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore at this point given the reputation windows 10 has garnered. And their almost criminal actions over the past year to try and force people to upgrade. Way worse then windows 8 ever was. The upgrade also corrupted my whole debian root partition to create this RECOVERY partition. that it is telling me doesn't exist!! I don't think microsoft is going to compete well in the mobile market, this is the worst release in windows history and might be the beginning of their end. NO way am I going to be coerced into upgrading my hardware for win 10.

Now I have to try and find a win 7 iso, I should of known better. The whole point of me upgrading was to continue playing windows only games and steaming video with good surround after 2019. But ironically both of those things have a poorer experience on windows 10 compared to win 7 on my hardware. Even though I was lead to believe it woudln't be a problem from Microsoft, and I could easily revert back if I chose. Shame on MS. Mac and Linux are going to grow now. Windows 10 has a well deserved reputation of being only created to spy on peoples data, a social info gathering os offering no true improvements in security, sound, or video, for desktop users over windows 7. In fact its a downgrade.

I paid for windows xp retail off the shelf, and bought windows 7 oem machine. But there is no way I can ever support anything associated with Microsoft again for the rest of my life. Custom built machines with linux will be the way of the future for me now.

cooloutac, Jun 29, 2016
  6. cooloutac Win User
    oh and you will get a kick out of this. The actual original dell audio drivers, downloaded from dell, work properly. They have correct channel mapping, correct detected codec, and realtek enhancements work properly for all programs.

But the issue with them is, they are now too old for the THX TruStudio program I use downloaded straight from creative. (which improves sound quality and gives more surround control) Since I am unable to download it anymore from dell(they only allowed 3 downloads), except from a 3rd party link straight to creative provided by Dell community which is a newer version... so it actually has nothing to do with dell and has to do with realtek, or imo and more importantly. Microsoft.

cooloutac, Jun 29, 2016
  7. cooloutac Win User
    fireberd, you are not going to believe this!!! I decided to install the original dell audio drivers again. figuring if I have to give up THX Trustudio then maybe i can live without it as long as the 5.1 actually works properly.

Well I decided to install the original dell drivers. Simply by uninstalling from device manager. Not by uninstall realtek from programs menu. Then rebooted and installed the dell drivers. I also didn't uninstall thx trustudio.

And now, THX trustudio surround controls work!!!! I am at a loss for words. Originally, even on win 7 i had the problem of installing the original dell audio drivers. and then install thx from creative, to find that thx would say no supported audio device installed. I would have to always update the realtek drivers to get the thx from the community link from creative to work. Same happened to me when trying on windows 10. But for some reason, now it is working!!!

Thank you Lord.

cooloutac, Jun 29, 2016
  8. fireberd Win User

Great. I didn't look into the issue deeply, just saw the notice on the Dell site.

fireberd, Jun 29, 2016
  9. cooloutac Win User
    I have a new issue now. the low sound bug that so many users are plagued with. But an easy fix for that was for me to toggle the 24 bit sound quality. no problems now. for days I been struggling with my sound issues. You getting me to look back at the dell site motivated me to try their drivers again.Thank you.

cooloutac, Jun 29, 2016
  10. cooloutac Win User
    Its cause i had it on stereo. It seems the low sound bug only affects surround sound but not stereo. thats fine. I can deal with low sound bug since my speakers can go very loud. at least the surround sound is mapped and surround controls work properly.

cooloutac, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Surround sound does not work proper after upgrade to windows 10. - Similar Threads - Surround sound does

2. 7.1 Surround Sound not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    7.1 Surround Sound not working: I just recently bought a new pc for gaming and work. I have a pair of Sennheiser headphones that allow 7.1 surround sound and they sounded great. But when I got my new pc, it does not give me the option to choose either 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound audio. It had worked on my old...
  3. Surround Sound Doesn't Work?

Surround Sound Doesn't Work?: Hello, I got my Cyberpower PC back in December of 2018, and ever since I got it all USB audio devices that I have used do not have surround sound. All of the devices I have used support surround sound specifically the wireless SteelSeries Arctis 7 I have used for about a year...
  4. Surround sound works but speaker fill does not

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Surround sound works but speaker fill does not: So I know some things like youtube only put out in stereo and I supplemented that with speaker fill over the years, however, I am noticing that no longer is working and it is really bothering me. I have the default windows driver and speaker fill enabled. 5.1 is configured...
  5. Surround sound works but speaker fill does not

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Surround sound works but speaker fill does not: So I know some things like youtube only put out in stereo and I supplemented that with speaker fill over the years, however, I am noticing that no longer is working and it is really bothering me. I have the default windows driver and speaker fill enabled. 5.1 is configured...
  6. 7.1 Surround Sound does not work

7.1 Surround Sound does not work: Hi! I recently bought a Razer Headset that supports 7.1 Surround Sound. I installed the drivers but when I change my playback device to "Speakers 7.1 Surroud Sound" I doesn´t work. I can´t listen to anything but everything seems to be working perfectly. Please if you know how...
  7. 7.1 USB headset but the surround sound does not work?

7.1 USB headset but the surround sound does not work?: Hello, i have not had surround sound on my PC for about a year (so since i got the headset) but it works on another one. I have already written to the support team who couldn't help me either. Resetting my PC remains my last option (I haven't done that yet because of the...
  8. App sound does not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App sound does not working properly: Though my problem has been solved after taking help of windows virtual help assistance but it happens frequently that when I set app like Battery level app to alert me when battery level reaches certain level but it does not ring alarm. There are two problems I find so many...
  9. 5.1 surround sound not working :/

5.1 surround sound not working :/: Hello to the people who might to try to solve this issue, the hardware that im using for my 5.1 surround sound system is a sony digital audio/Video control center(that works ive used it on my xbox), the problem im having is the rear RCA jack audio driver. For some reason no...
  10. Windows 10 Surround Sound Not Working At All

Windows 10 Surround Sound Not Working At All: Basically, I have no surround sound on my PC at all. (Yes, I checked, the headset does support surround sound and it works on my phone as well.) I own a HyperX headset that can 1) plug into a USB Adapter in the front of my PC or 2) use the regular jack on the front of the...