Windows 10: Surround sound not working for some games.

Discus and support Surround sound not working for some games. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and now find that certain games (such as Project Reality, the STALKER series and Killing Floor) do not have surround... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Tea and Crumpet, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Surround sound not working for some games.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and now find that certain games (such as Project Reality, the STALKER series and Killing Floor) do not have surround sound - only stereo. It looks as though there must be a driver issue as I never noticed this issue in Windows 7. The odd thing is there are other games (Elite Dangerous and Killing Floor 2) that the surround sound works well with.
    Why is it just the older ones and how can I get the surround sound working again?

Oh and I am not using a sound card (just in case that makes a difference).

:)

Tea and Crumpet, Aug 27, 2015
  2. PatrikXI Win User

Windows 10 5.1 surround sound not working

I have upgraded to Windows 10 and my 5.1 surround sound is not working i use the same drivers that i used on windows 7 and they worked. When i go to test the surround sound it works but when i go in games there is no sound at all.

PatrikXI, Aug 27, 2015
  3. Dolby Atmos Headphone problem

And he's been telling you that it DOES NOT WORK. I've posted a similar feedback a while ago and the guy who answered insisted that i should contact my "original equipement vendor"... I'm going to clarify something here, both dolby atmos for headphones and
    windows sonic do not work in games (yes, even when you download the app and enable it properly) because:

1) Modern games decide what sound they output by looking at windows's speaker config

2) Atmos and sonic are seen as stereo

3) Most of the time you can't change the sound output to surround in games (see nier automata, titanfall 2 etc...)

Ergo, videogames output simple stereo and since there's nothing for atmos and sonic to work with, they simply don't do proper virtual surround. Now, i understand that there's a "handshake" that's supposed to happen between the game and the surround solution
    to obtain 5.1 or 7.1 from video games in order to downmix it into a positionnal stereo signal, but that doesn't happen (maybe with windows store bought games, but i'm not dumb enough to actually buy my games from there, i can't test).

In movies? As long as you manage to configure your video player properly to output surround sound, it works fine.

And no, it's not hardware or driver dependent. Those two solutions do not create a surround interface for games to see, it's either a design oversight or a plain dumb mistake because people who implemented that do not know how videogames work.

Just for info, i've tested EXTENSIVELY creative's CMSS-3D and SBX, razer surround and sennheiser gsx 1000 (best virtual surround out there btw) and all of them work on the same principle of modifying windows' speaker setup, so yeah, i know what i'm talking
    about.

Glasofruix, Aug 27, 2015
Thema:

Surround sound not working for some games.

1. Surround sound not working for some games. - Similar Threads - Surround sound working

2. 7.1 Surround Sound not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    7.1 Surround Sound not working: I just recently bought a new pc for gaming and work. I have a pair of Sennheiser headphones that allow 7.1 surround sound and they sounded great. But when I got my new pc, it does not give me the option to choose either 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound audio. It had worked on my old...
  3. Surround Sound Doesn't Work?

Surround Sound Doesn't Work?: Hello, I got my Cyberpower PC back in December of 2018, and ever since I got it all USB audio devices that I have used do not have surround sound. All of the devices I have used support surround sound specifically the wireless SteelSeries Arctis 7 I have used for about a year...
  4. 7.1 Surround Sound does not work

7.1 Surround Sound does not work: Hi! I recently bought a Razer Headset that supports 7.1 Surround Sound. I installed the drivers but when I change my playback device to "Speakers 7.1 Surroud Sound" I doesn´t work. I can´t listen to anything but everything seems to be working perfectly. Please if you know how...
  5. 5.1 Surround Sound Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    5.1 Surround Sound Not Working: I have tried everything. Cannot get sound from my center or rear speakers. All of your "fixes" are a joke. Sick of this. I have a good speaker setup and this shawdy excuse for an OS is ruining my experience. Could use an actual fix for my machine!...
  6. Last update forced surround sound sound for my games.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Last update forced surround sound sound for my games.: After the latest update my games seem to be in this weird surround sound state? I loaded dragon Ball Fighter Z and during matches characters characters spoken dialog and sound effect will fluctuate in volume but the music is consistent. It seems like my 2 speakers are trying...
  7. Surround Sound

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Surround Sound: Would the issue with surround sound have anything to do with the fact that Microsoft is working with the companies that license Dolby Surround and other surround sound processing to have a monthly fee for these features? This does not occur on my upgraded WIN 7 to Win 10...
  8. 5.1 surround sound not working :/

5.1 surround sound not working :/: Hello to the people who might to try to solve this issue, the hardware that im using for my 5.1 surround sound system is a sony digital audio/Video control center(that works ive used it on my xbox), the problem im having is the rear RCA jack audio driver. For some reason no...
  9. Surround sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    Surround sound: Hello, I have a bioware version 1803. The problem is no matter what headphone i useI can't seem toactivate surround sound. It doesn't let me at all. It's frustationg because i am a music lover and really just sets me off. Please do help....
  10. Spaital sound and 7.1 surround sound not working

Spaital sound and 7.1 surround sound not working: So i have been using Spatial Sound (Windows Sonic for Headphones) and the surround sound is not clickable I've tried doing the troubleshooting and i looked online for solutions none of them worked and every one said try the Playing audio in Settings all that popped up was...