Windows 10: Suspend or Sleep user session while another user is active?

Discus and support Suspend or Sleep user session while another user is active? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, is there a way to send a user session into some kind of suspended or sleep mode, for the duration of a user B logging in and using the system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by coffeetickle, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Suspend or Sleep user session while another user is active?

Hello, is there a way to send a user session into some kind of suspended or sleep mode, for the duration of a user B logging in and using the system for their own session.

As it works now when simply switching users, the CPU and memory usage of the user-A session apparently stay active in parallel, slowing the system down considerably, even though it's fairly high-spec. (8-core i7, 16GB RAM and SSD system disk).

Id like to have all of the session A stuff swapped away on disk and the CPU activity paralysed so all resources are available to B 100 per cent during the B session, and then have the A stuff restored and user A brought back to exactly where they were before, when switching back. Is such a thing even remotely possible.

In case you're curious, user A in this case is the wife doing some research and wanting a browser window with several tabs of search results and some other bits and pieces to stay open and unchanged on her screen and be available exactly as she left it when she comes back.

:)

coffeetickle, Sep 16, 2017

2. Fast User Switching in Windows 10

I do get the option to switch user if I press Alt+F4 while on the desktop, but the switch then doesn't work - it logs me off. Alt+F4 gives me Switch User, Sign out, Sleep, Shut down, Restart

Are you not presented with the option to switch user?

FryingSaucer, Sep 16, 2017
  3. Zarvak Win User
    I cannot switch users withtout closing session - Windows 10 Pro fully up-to-date

Hi,

I cannot swtich between Windows 10 users withtout closing the active session. If I lock the system or it gets suspended, etc... when I come back, I have to log-in with the last active user before being able to switch users... which you can imagine is very
    annoying when your share a PC... among other reasons because maybe it's not you who is trying to access... and the other user doesn't know your password.

It's happening to me in two laptops, one for home (a Surface Pro 3), and other for work (Dell XPS13)... so I'm pretty sure it's a windows issue.... I don't remember exactly when this started to happen but it has not been so always.

I remember that before I could go to my current user, click on it and then I saw options to Shutdown/Close session/Suspend plus a list of other users... then I just had to click on other user to switch sessions... Now, I cannot see the list of other users.

Also, when the screen is locked (on purpose or because a timeout) and you try to log-in, there is just one possibility: current active user. There is no way to log-in with another user but the one that was active when the session get locked....

What's going on? How can I change this? This is really annoying when sharing the Surface...

Thanks

Zarvak, Sep 16, 2017
  4. Suspend or Sleep user session while another user is active?

Hi coffeeticle.

While I'm unaware of an answer regarding Windows the OS and can offer this.

Chrome, the browser, has an option to start a new session where you left off. So if you have six web sites open and closed chrome when you start it next it would have those six tabs open. Next time you might have only three and so it opens those three.

Might meet your / her needs.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 16, 2017
Thema:

Suspend or Sleep user session while another user is active?

1. Suspend or Sleep user session while another user is active? - Similar Threads - Suspend Sleep user

2. Windows 11 - Going into "Sleep" temporarily while user still active on machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Going into "Sleep" temporarily while user still active on machine: To summarise, I'm trying to help out a friend. They've been using their Lenovo laptop quite frequently and it'll randomly go to a completely black screen, wait a few moments, and then come back, this seemed to happen every hour, my guess is it's each hour from when they turn...
  3. Windows 11 - Going into "Sleep" temporarily while user still active on machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Going into "Sleep" temporarily while user still active on machine: To summarise, I'm trying to help out a friend. They've been using their Lenovo laptop quite frequently and it'll randomly go to a completely black screen, wait a few moments, and then come back, this seemed to happen every hour, my guess is it's each hour from when they turn...
  4. Users session local doesn't display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Users session local doesn't display: Hello,I noticed that I cannot see my other session on my laptop. I didn't touch anything specifically.I tried to create an other user to see if it shows up but no.I tried to go on the registry to check this...
  5. User logged off or the session is locked?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User logged off or the session is locked?: Hi,Is it possible to identify using the event viewer or other tools if a user logged off from his workstation or he only locked the session?And if the session is locked, how can I distinguish between the user actively locked the session or if the session was locked due to...
  6. Copy user unknown account to another user.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy user unknown account to another user.: Hello, I need a way to copy or merge an unknown account user with another user account. This issue arose when I disconnected my work or school account under the settings - accounts - access work or school. I was having issues as the Azure account was limiting some control...
  7. Guest user / another user with limited access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Guest user / another user with limited access: Hello, I want to create an secondary user on my computer with limited access. I manage to create a secondary user without an Microsoft Account. Just with username and password. My problem is that this other user have access to the D-disk where i have all my personal files....
  8. Windows 10 Hibernate suspend or sleep user when use other user.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Hibernate suspend or sleep user when use other user.: How to hibernate or sleep, suspend user1 don't close programs and other applications then use other windows user2. And user1 won't use CPU and Memory, when I am using user 2. Is it really?...
  9. Apps on another user

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apps on another user: I have another account on the pc but i want to install apps on ony my account but if i install it it goes to every user i cant find anything that could help. I just dont want my sisters account to have steam installed. please help...
  10. How to Transfer User Profile to Another User

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to Transfer User Profile to Another User: Is there a way to create a new users account on the same PC such that it will have access to the same program and document files as an existing users account? Local Users Administrator, DISABLED, Member of Administrators DefaultAccount , DISABLED, Member of Users Guest,...