Windows 10: Suspicious update

Discus and support Suspicious update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Anyone have any knowledge on this update? KB3016656? I see this in the "Installed Updates" but not in Windows update history. Googling comes up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by davehc, Nov 16, 2014.

1. davehc Win User

Suspicious update

Anyone have any knowledge on this update?

KB3016656?
    I see this in the "Installed Updates" but not in Windows update history.

Googling comes up with several inaccessible links to a Chinese facebook page.

I wonder if others have it, and what is its purpose.

P.S. Later. OK. Forget it. I have solved the problem.

:)

davehc, Nov 16, 2014
  2. Owen N Win User

this suspicious update request??

Still not being blocked.

It looks like a popup. Why isn't the popup blocker stopping it?

I also have ad muncher installed. What type of ads would be blocked by this?

I want to kill all "boxes" that appear and overlay the original screen, like subscription requests to things I am already subscribed to!!!

I can't toughen up security settings any more without being bombarded with messages,

or stopping legitimate stuff from working.

Is there some way these fake update screens can be vetted? They seem to have a web url on them.

They seem to be "addons" to websites like Webcomics sites.-generally unsecured.

Owen N, Nov 16, 2014
  3. Owen N Win User
    this suspicious update request??

adblock plus looks like it works well.

Also this is the best RSS has ever performed.

Switching from the RSS summary to the webpage is now very quick.

There used to be some kind of a fault-delay.

Maybe it is bypassing some dodgy scripts??

Owen N, Nov 16, 2014
  4. cpupro Win User

Suspicious update

I finally got to see if this was on my computer and it is. Was anyone able to find a link to what this was?

I tried various searches including MS suggestion of "http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3016656" which goes absolutely nowhere.

cpupro, Nov 18, 2014
  5. davehc Win User
    Yes, hence my P.S. Windows update history except for hitches occasionally, shows packages, which include smaller, but associated, updates. The Installed updates section shows the individual updates, from that package.

If you dare, you can test this by uninstalling 656 and rebooting. You will find that an update is available again for the package, which is still showing as installed. If you update again (I had to do this twice for some reason. I guess there was an even smaller update in there somewhere!), you will then find you have both updates showing again.
    Rather complicated way for users, to show the current status, but keep in mind that the list shown in the Windows updates is merely a dbase.

davehc, Nov 18, 2014
  6. cpupro Win User
    Thank you for the information on this! Funny way of doing this, always been able to look up the particulars for the updates.

cpupro, Nov 18, 2014
  7. davehc Win User
    Not sure, but I don't think it has ever been MS practice to supply that info on early pre builds. You just have to accept with a (wry) grin.

davehc, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Suspicious update

1. Suspicious update - Similar Threads - Suspicious update

2. Suspicious update dialogue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Suspicious update dialogue: Hi all,All 6 machines at my workplace received this popup today. The formatting and grammar is suspicious, has anyone ever seen this before? It doesn't appear to be from Windows or Microsoft. There was a cumulative update pushed out today so but I advised my team not to click...
  3. Suspicious update dialogue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Suspicious update dialogue: Hi all,All 6 machines at my workplace received this popup today. The formatting and grammar is suspicious, has anyone ever seen this before? It doesn't appear to be from Windows or Microsoft. There was a cumulative update pushed out today so but I advised my team not to click...
  4. Suspicious Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Suspicious Update: I have been getting the attached screen for a few months. My computer has been to the Geek Squad twice for malware and hacks but this screen keeps coming up. Feeling that it is a spam, I click control/alt/delete, with the curser go to sign out. Most of the times I do not have...
  5. Suspicious Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Suspicious Update: I have been getting the attached screen for a few months. My computer has been to the Geek Squad twice for malware and hacks but this screen keeps coming up. Feeling that it is a spam, I click control/alt/delete, with the curser go to sign out. Most of the times I do not have...
  6. Suspicious Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Suspicious about an update I just had

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Suspicious about an update I just had: First off, what I'm about to describe may be just completely normal and this is a big waste of time, but I tend to get very paranoid about potential malware or viruses and I'm not exactly the best when it comes to computer stuff. Please bear with me.When I restarted my...
  8. Multiple Suspicious Firmware Updates Two Days in a Row......

Multiple Suspicious Firmware Updates Two Days in a Row......: My computer installed HP Firmware update 15.58.0.0 yesterday 5/15/21. Today 5/16/21, it installed another HP Firmware update 15.60.0.0.Both updates went through the BIOS imaging screens,... it seems very strange to me 2 bios updates in 2 days?. Searching Google for "HP...
  9. Updates on windows 10 and suspicious installation activity

Updates on windows 10 and suspicious installation activity: I have noticed how my computer after update has been attacked and invaded by unwanted programs attempting to clean and give me fake PC updates. Windows 10 v2004 Build 19041.207 KB4550936 after this update Viruses found all over my **** computer. microsoft and windows needs...
  10. Suspicious blue restart and update popup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Suspicious blue restart and update popup: I am seeing a popup instructing me to restart and update now to maintain windows support. I have restarted since and there was no update, so I don't think it is from Microsoft, It is on blue background and does not show the Microsoft logo. Any thoughts appreciated....