Windows 10: Suspicious website popping up in new tab when Chrome starts

Discus and support Suspicious website popping up in new tab when Chrome starts in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Recently, I've been getting an odd page opening up when I start up Chrome after rebooting or being on standby. Code: "]Redirect I searched into it... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GuyInDogSuit, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Suspicious website popping up in new tab when Chrome starts

Recently, I've been getting an odd page opening up when I start up Chrome after rebooting or being on standby.

Code: Redirect I searched into it and all I could find was pages about UnHackMe, which I ran and it found nothing.

What IS this thing, and how do I get rid of it?

:)

GuyInDogSuit, Jan 17, 2017

2. Pop-up will not close in Google Chrome

Received a pop-up from page at set-windowz-pc-error.info, regarding Suspicious Activity on my computer. Instructed to call 1-717-428-7136 to contact a Microsoft Technician. Can't close this pop-up! Can't access other tabs on Google Chrome. I am running
    Windows 10 (64 bit) on HP computer. HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS POP-UP !!! Avast and Malware Bytes did not detect anything.

BeaWalters, Jan 17, 2017
  3. 47nickyg Win User
    chrome "critical" update ?

I use chrome & yahoo.com. I keep getting a pop up that says it is a critical chrome update. Is this legit? I am afraid to click on it. I am suspicious

47nickyg, Jan 17, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Suspicious website popping up in new tab when Chrome starts

Out of curiosity I opened the link on my osMac MacBook Pro in Firefox and got a screen plus a recording saying my Mac is infected. It closed easily. I'd check Chrome's setting for the Home page to assure only the one wanted is all that's shown.

Berton, Jan 17, 2017
  5. For me, it just shows a blank page. No audio. I'm guessing Adguard is keeping it from loading. Wonder why it's even allowing the tab to open in the first place?

I would think ESET would keep it from loading at all, or at least show that red "blocked link" page.

GuyInDogSuit, Jan 17, 2017
  6. GuyInDogSuit,

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:
    Malwarebytes | Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium 14-day Free Trial
    Right-click on the MBAM icon and select: Run as Administrator
    Click Yes to accept any security warnings that appear.

At the MBAM console, on the right pane, under the Scan Status, click: Current (it updates the tool)
    On the left menu pane click the Settings tab, and then select the Protection tab on the top.
    Under Scan Options, turn on the button: Scan for rootkits

Click the Scan tab on the right pane, select Threat Scan and click: Start Scan

Note: The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.

If potential threats are detected, ensure to check all the listed items, and click: Quarantine Selected

While still on the Scan tab, click the View Report button
    In the window that opens click: Export
    Select: Text file (*.txt), and save the log to the Desktop.

The log is also viewed by clicking on it, then clicking the View Report button.
    Please attach or post the log for review.
    Note: If asked to restart the computer, please do so.

Also, please download AdwCleaner:
    Malwarebytes | AdwCleaner
    Download to your Desktop.

Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.

Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete.

When the can finishes and presents its results, if you see any program that you wish to keep, remove the check from it. Otherwise, once the Clean button is pressed, all checked items listed on the report are removed.

A log file is automatically opened after the scan finishes.
    It is found at C:\AdwCleanerCx.txt (x is a number).
    Please attach or post the content of the AdwCleaner report.

cottonball, Jan 22, 2017
  7. robgr Win User
    Try Adware Removal Tool, Go here, download and run the client

It will find any suspect objects, hit the CLEAN button

robgr, Jan 22, 2017
  8. Suspicious website popping up in new tab when Chrome starts

Damn it, I had the logs pasted here but Adware Removal Tool shut down Chrome and I lost them. They didn't find anything.

GuyInDogSuit, Jan 30, 2017
  9. GuyInDogSuit,

Let's give this a whirl...

Please use the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool Download
    Save FRST to your Desktop.

[Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system: 32 bit or 64 bit]

Double-click FRST to run it.
    When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
    Next, press the Scan button.

When done, the tool makes a log (FRST.txt) on the Desktop.

The first time the tool is run, it makes another log: (Addition.txt).

Please attach both reports to your reply.

cottonball, Jan 30, 2017
  10. Here's the results.
    I'm going to see about purchasing MBAM in the future, seeing as how the trial runs out after 2 weeks.

GuyInDogSuit, Jan 30, 2017
  11. GuyInDogSuit,

Before proceeding, any reason why System Restore is disabled?

cottonball, Jan 31, 2017
  12. I don't know. It wasn't ever enabled in the first place.

GuyInDogSuit, Jan 31, 2017
  13. Suspicious website popping up in new tab when Chrome starts

GuyInDogSuit,

System Restore (SR) is disabled by default on Windows 10. The Operating System does have Reset/Refresh this PC features which reinstall Windows 10, keeping files and most programs installed. However, IMO, System Restore is a useful tool when it comes to recovering from certain circumstances, and it appears you have the space for it.

Please take action to enable SR before running the FRST fixlist that follows.

To enable SR:
    On the Desktop, in the Search here area of the TaskBar, type: System Restore
    Press: Enter

When Create a Restore Point is displayed, click on it.
    In System Properties > System Protection tab > Protection Settings, Protection is Off for Windows (C*Smile (System)
    To change this, click: Configure
    Tick: Turn on system protection

Below, drag the slider to a reasonable amount of space.
    The larger, the more Restore Points, and the further back in time it can go.
    (Example, for a drive larger than 250GB, would recommend at least 10GB of space.)

Click: Apply
    Click: Create
    Give the new Restore Point a name.
    Wait for Windows to create the RP, and click: OK

Next, please do the following:
    Press the Windows and R keys at the same time.
    This opens the Run box.
    Type Notepad and click OK.
    Next, please copy the entire contents inside the code box below to Notepad:

Code: Start CreateRestorePoint: CloseProcesses: GroupPolicy: Restriction <======= ATTENTION S3 dbx; system32\DRIVERS\dbx.sys [X] U0 Partizan; system32\drivers\Partizan.sys [X] S3 PCASp60; System32\Drivers\PCASp60.sys [X] C:\ProgramData\fontcacheev1.dat CustomCLSID: HKU\S-1-5-21-837606628-3980760942-254267324-1001_Classes\CLSID\{F8071786-1FD0-4A66-81A1-3CBE29274458}\InprocServer32 -> C:\Users\andre\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\17.3.6517.0809_1\amd64\FileSyncApi64.dll => No File EmptyTemp: cmd: ipconfig /flushdns Reboot: End[/quote] Save the file as fixlist.txt in the same folder where the FRST is running from. It appears to be running from E:\Downloads, vs. the Desktop. They both need to be in the same place, preferably the Desktop.

Next, run FRST and click Fix only once, and wait.

When done, the tool creates a log: Fixlog.txt
    Please attach Fixlog.txt to your reply.

How is the system running?
    Is the suspicious website still showing up?

After go.oclasrv.com appears on the system, the default DNS settings of browsers such Chrome and are altered.
    Included the command ipconfig /flushdns considering this issue.

Also, open Chrome, click on the 3 horizontal dots and click Select More Tools > Extensions
    If you see any malicious extensions please delete them.

Next, go to Settings.
    Select Open a specific page or set of pages and click on: Set pages

If you find any malicious websites, delete them by clicking the X next to them.

cottonball, Jan 31, 2017
  14. I have 52.8 GB of space on my drive and I install games on there so they load faster. I can't say I have space for system restore.
    I've already checked Chrome's settings and extensions, there's nothing there.

GuyInDogSuit, Feb 3, 2017
  15. Did you run the Fixlist on FRST?

Can you attach the Fixlog.txt ?

Please download HitmanPro (Sophos):
    HitmanPro Malware Removal Tool: Secondary Anti-Virus Scanner | Download HitmanPro 3.7
    Save to the Desktop
    Right-click the downloaded file and select: Run as Administrator

When it finishes running HP will display a list of Identified Threats (malware) or other entries found (i.e. cookies, PUPs, etc.).
    Click on Next and select the option: Activate Free License

This begins the free 30 days trial, and removes all the Identified files from the computer.

After the entries are removed, click on the Save Log option.
    Save the HitmanPro log to the Desktop.

Please attach the content of the HitmanPro report in your reply.

Now, close the program, and restart the computer.

Any changes?

cottonball, Feb 4, 2017
Thema:

Suspicious website popping up in new tab when Chrome starts

1. Suspicious website popping up in new tab when Chrome starts - Similar Threads - Suspicious website popping

2. SSL Websites Popping up in New Window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSL Websites Popping up in New Window: I have a user that has a strange issue and l'm able to reproduce it partly, but it reverts back to the same behaviour as before.Both Edge and Chrome open up fine, but both are opeing separate tabs every time they log into a SSL Website.I have done everything - made sure that...
  3. SSL Websites Popping up in New Window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSL Websites Popping up in New Window: I have a user that has a strange issue and l'm able to reproduce it partly, but it reverts back to the same behaviour as before.Both Edge and Chrome open up fine, but both are opeing separate tabs every time they log into a SSL Website.I have done everything - made sure that...
  4. SSL Websites Popping up in New Window

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Why Suspicious webpages are popping up?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why Suspicious webpages are popping up?: Hi, I am Pratyush I recently downloaded something that had installed an adware. Both Windows Security and Avast Say that there is no malware but Sometimes when I click somewhere on a webpage on Chrome, even on Completely safe sites like YouTube, suspicious webpages pop up....
  6. Chrome Opens a new tab links to suspicious website, is this a virus?

Chrome Opens a new tab links to suspicious website, is this a virus?: Hello, chrome keeps randomly opening new tabs to the link: s1.toupdate15.com, I figured it is some kind of a virus or a software that I have to uninstall off my conputer but I don’t know how to locate it and permanently delete it. [Original Title: Virus??]...
  7. Suspicious pop-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Suspicious pop-up: Info: Name smart agent icon:[ATTACH] app:[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/suspicious-pop-up/59d607bb-57a1-4bc5-82d1-1d9a8b476c11
  8. Constant pop ups while in Microsoft Word and new tabs opening when online using Chrome

Constant pop ups while in Microsoft Word and new tabs opening when online using Chrome: Constant pop ups while in Microsoft Word and when on the internet using Chrome, a new tab opens with the same wording. Sorry, we can't open 'http://exts.on-service.app/p/mnt/g.html' This has been going on for months and I have zero productivity due to these constant...
  9. Suspicious Pop-up message on desktop

Suspicious Pop-up message on desktop: Hi, I noticed suspicious pop-up on my desktop. Screenshot attached.[ATTACH] Can you please help me yo understand what it is? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/suspicious-pop-up-message-on-desktop/03cc7c4f-9c45-4d23-849d-37e3ee0b76ad"
  10. Website Pops up

in Browsers and Email
    Website Pops up: I have windows 10 and for my Browser I use Firefox which I set as the default. But just about every time I try to open Firefox, the page that opens is one of Microsoft's pages about Office 2016.This has been going on for about a week. Isn't there some way to stop that? Thanks...