Windows 10: svchost.exe restarting my PC 3 or 4 times for the past two nights

Discus and support svchost.exe restarting my PC 3 or 4 times for the past two nights in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As per title, I can't seem to figure out exactly why this is happening. Exact event log text is as follows: The process... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WinTenner, Feb 28, 2018.

1. WinTenner Win User

svchost.exe restarting my PC 3 or 4 times for the past two nights

As per title, I can't seem to figure out exactly why this is happening.

Exact event log text is as follows:

The process c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe (TEST_PC) has initiated the restart of computer TEST_PC on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack (Planned)
    Reason Code: 0x80020010

Why does it keep re-trying?

:)

WinTenner, Feb 28, 2018
  2. nevilletp Win User

my windows 10 computer restarts 3 or 4 times while I'm working on something.. very disturbing.. how do i fix

my windows 10 computer restarts 3 or 4 times while I'm working on something.. very disturbing.. how do i fix

nevilletp, Feb 28, 2018
  3. my windows 10 computer restarts 3 or 4 times while I'm working on something.. very disturbing.. how do i fix

You can try performing a
    clean boot
    since it uses a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. Make sure that the latest Windows Updates and drivers are installed.

Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Robelene Win, Feb 28, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

That looks like the normal automatic restart to complete installing an update.

What does it say in Settings > Update & Security > View installed update history? If it shows repeated failed updates that would explain why it keeps retrying.

What version and build number of Windows do you have?

5. WinTenner Win User
    Interesting you should say that as I've had an intermittent issue where it says that an update has failed but on a reboot that error then vanishes. Right now Windows Update Status has a green tick and states that it's up to date - however it's done that before and then, maybe on the next reboot, states that there's a problem with an update.

I've also noticed that I can't view the installed update history - when I select that all I see are two options: Uninstall Updates and Recovery Options. There is no detailed history. If I click on Uninstall Updates it just takes me to the Uninstall an Update window which shows what's installed.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.248)

WinTenner, Feb 28, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    That is normal if there are no updates recorded in the update history. This could be because the update history has been reset, for example.

Clear Windows Update History in Windows 10

On the other hand, it could indicate a problem in windows update. Resetting it may help.

Reset Windows Update in Windows 10

7. WinTenner Win User
    Thanks a lot, I'll give the reset history batch file a go. *Smile

WinTenner, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. svchost.exe restarting my PC 3 or 4 times for the past two nights - Similar Threads - svchost exe restarting

2. Computer Crashed 3 Times in Past Month

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Crashed 3 Times in Past Month: Hello everyone. My computer has been randomly crashing for the past 2 months when gaming. It has had 3 major crashes.The first crash was a kernel error blue screen. It took several reboots to work. The second crash fully shut down my computer and turned the cpu light on, on...
  3. 3 Errors on svchost on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3 Errors on svchost on startup: they're all the exact same process i have windows 10 not 7windows 10 1903 [i will not update] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/3-errors-on-svchost-on-startup/0eea87b8-6afd-4827-90a4-13e7d2ce0566
  4. 3 Errors on svchost on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3 Errors on svchost on startup: they're all the exact same process i have windows 10 not 7windows 10 1903 [i will not update] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/3-errors-on-svchost-on-startup/0eea87b8-6afd-4827-90a4-13e7d2ce0566
  5. 3 Errors on svchost on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. restarting 4 times consecutively

restarting 4 times consecutively: any advantages or disadvantages to restarting 4 times consecutively - It helped me before after an update screwed up windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restarting-4-times-consecutively/d6a316e7-b8e8-44b8-bf5c-1c95f4670d44
  7. my pc shuts down and restarts 2 to 4 times a day

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    my pc shuts down and restarts 2 to 4 times a day: Problem Event Name: StoreAgentScanForUpdatesFailure0 ClientAppId: Update; HResult: 8024402c OSVersion: 19041 OSRevision: 508 DeviceClass: Windows.Desktop OS Version: 10.0.19041.2.0.0.768.101 Locale ID: 1033 Extra information about the problem Bucket ID:...
  8. Restart PC 3-4 times a day

Restart PC 3-4 times a day: My PC closes down and restarts 3-4 times a day. I get a code stating critical instruction corruption. What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restart-pc-3-4-times-a-day/e361b06e-5f9f-49cf-8db8-2dd5a1cda16f
  9. Windows keeps updating again and again... 3-4 times a day and restarting all the time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows keeps updating again and again... 3-4 times a day and restarting all the time: Has anyone else been seeing this? See my update history below.. seems like everything fails?[ATTACH]e update to Windows 10, version 1803 x64 2019-05C...
  10. PC restarts randomly at least 3 times a week.

PC restarts randomly at least 3 times a week.: PC restarts without any warning except when I enable driver verifier, then it starts to give BSOD's like VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION with 0x000000c4 and 0x000000d1. I must mention what I've tried: -updates to the latest version including bios -rolling back drivers There is...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the process c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe (adam) has initiated the restart of computer adam on behalf of user nt authority\system for the following reason: operating system: service pack (planned) reason code: 0x80020010