Windows 10: svchost Running under User Name

Discus and support svchost Running under User Name in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Almost everywhere it says if svchost is running under the PC's name or the user logon name then there's a problem, possibly malware. But now I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by leegold, Mar 3, 2017.

1. leegold Win User

svchost Running under User Name

Hi,

Almost everywhere it says if svchost is running under the PC's name or the user logon name then there's a problem, possibly malware. But now I just read this:

Is this true? Must be...So what people have been saying is a sign of malware, is, at least in Win10 normal functioning. And svchost associated with it is in .../system32, where it should be. Supposedly MS is using it for telemetry.

Am I right about this? Thought I had some deep-seated malware but apparently not?

Thanks

:)

leegold, Mar 3, 2017

2. svshost.exe suspiciously using too much cpu

So for several months i noticed from time to time my machine would suffer a drastic slowdown.

When this occurred i opened task manager only to find a process with no name running under svchost.exe, using about 80% of cpu.

Usually i just closed it and that's it, the problem was gone until it happened again. I never really worried about it.

But since I make a lot of dowloads i was wondering whether this could be a virus, so i decided to check. I found what svchost.exe is and what it does, where it should be, etc. I was also informed that it would be suspicious to more than one running at once
    or running under my current user and not system or local/network service etc.

So i found two things. One is that i do have a svchost listed under my user name, however whenever i do have this problem the one running is under system and located at Windows\Temp the one under my user i never found running, but this is where i got confused.

The one under my user is at Windows\System32. So is any of them "suspicious" or is are they both ok and it's just a hung process or something like that that causes the issue?

Paulo_R.M.G., Mar 3, 2017
  3. svchost.exe abnormally high CPU usage (~25%) if network is enabled

Svchost.exe is a
    generic host process name for a group of services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (.dll's) and can run other services
    underneath itself. This is a valid system process that belongs to the Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from .dll's. It runs from the registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost where details
    of the services running under each instance of svchost.exe can be found. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. It is not unusual to find
    multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time in
    Windows Task Manager
    in order to optimize the running of the various services.

• svchost.exe SYSTEM
    • svchost.exe LOCAL SERVICE
    • svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE
    Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, therefore, separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This grouping of services permits better control and easier debugging. The

process identifier
    (PID)'s must be checked in real time to determine what services each instance of svchost.exe is controlling at that particular time. The PID is not static and can change with each logon but generally they
    stay nearly the same because they are always running services.

It is not uncommon for a computer to have a svchost process running between 95 - 99% of CPU resources. There can be several issues relating to a spiking svchost to include access violations, memory leaks, Windows Installer (MSI), Windows Update, and other programs
    installed on your system.

Investigating Svchost.exe Tutorials::

quietman7 - MVP, Mar 3, 2017
  4. svchost Running under User Name

I have never seen svchost running under user name, not in 10 either.
    You should open file location an check, if it is really svchost in System32.
    Then again, I have never allowed telemetry and I disable Unistack services.

TairikuOkami, Mar 4, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    bro67, Mar 4, 2017
  6. leegold Win User
    That's a great malware scanning link. Thanks.

leegold, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

svchost Running under User Name

1. svchost Running under User Name - Similar Threads - svchost Running under

2. Windows User Names under C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows User Names under C drive: Hi. I am a little pedantic and a stickler for detail. I bought a new laptop and under " This PC > OS C: > Users " it has 2 account names, "Public" and "matth".Is there any way to change the "matth" to "Matthew" please?Thank you....
  3. Windows User Names under C drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows User Names under C drive: Hi. I am a little pedantic and a stickler for detail. I bought a new laptop and under " This PC > OS C: > Users " it has 2 account names, "Public" and "matth".Is there any way to change the "matth" to "Matthew" please?Thank you....
  4. svchost showing user name in random numbers

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    svchost showing user name in random numbers: Hi,I am seeing svchost process but the username either should be asset nameSYSTEM or the username which logged on, but evertime it appears to be random numbers, what could be the possible cause for this. username like 555, 115 etcregards...
  5. Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user: I misspelled by name during installation of windows and now i want to change the name of the folder.What is the possible way to do so ?Thank in advance- Sagnik Saha...
  6. Strange name in folder under USER

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange name in folder under USER: My account is under my name, but I often try to get the user name The Mage, or TheMage if I can, or many derivatives.I do not see this anywhere on anything listed on my Microsoft accounts, but if it was, it would be TheMage.Trying to change my name just gives my real name. Is...
  7. Changing the name of user under C:\users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing the name of user under C:\users: Windows 10 ver 20H2 build 19042.928 I just got a refurbished second hand computer and would like to change the user name which is shown under C:\users to one of my own.own liking. Will someone please tell me how, if possible, to do that? Thank you. 179010
  8. Changing name of folder under Users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing name of folder under Users: I need help changing one folder's name in the Users folder. It's the folder that has the name of the device as the folder name. I bought the laptop off my friend but I can't change the name of the one folder. I have already changed the name of the laptop itself in the "About"...
  9. How to change administrator name under Users

How to change administrator name under Users: I want to change the administrator name under Users on my computer. Can you tell me how to do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-administrator-name-under-users/32a02d20-ad17-4cf0-ac8c-1d6a5e9c4c71"
  10. User name under C is not the same as the Account name

User name under C is not the same as the Account name: We recently bought my husband a new computer. We put in his name, which is Collins as the account name. However, when I go to the C drive his user name shows up as Colli. Is there a way to Change that....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. svchost running under user

2. svchost running not my username

3. svchost from username

4. user named svchost,
  5. sychost user name,
  6. mematikan stop service host unistack group