Windows 10: Swapped motherboard, cannot active my copy of win_10

Discus and support Swapped motherboard, cannot active my copy of win_10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a problem with my pc, I RMA'd my motherboard and Graphics card. I bought it and the proof is in my microsoft account. When I attempt to activate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by metalglasses, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Swapped motherboard, cannot active my copy of win_10

I have a problem with my pc, I RMA'd my motherboard and Graphics card. I bought it and the proof is in my microsoft account. When I attempt to activate it, it tells me my copy is no longer valid. It just ends up telling me that I need to buy a new copy. I wished I knew about this before I RMA'd my motherboard. Is there a way I could activate my legal copy win_10?

:)

metalglasses, Nov 14, 2017

2. windows 10 and motherboard change

That's a negative as of right now. I had 8.1 which I bought from Walmart and then I upgraded to 10. Just yesterday I did a motherboard swap and now I can't activate my windows 10 even after it was already activated on this computer. It reverted to an inactive
    state and I can't activate it, as well as I refuse to buy another copy because three weeks ago or so I spent about $118.00 on windows 8.1. In short, as of right now, don't swap your motherboard.

AnthonyColucci, Nov 14, 2017
  3. Windows Licence Issue in OEM type

In event of an hardware change like HDD swap or something else except motherboard, Windows might get un-activated. You can either use the activation troubleshooter in Settings app>Update and security>Activation or call Microsoft to get your copy activated.

If MBD means motherboard, then OEM licenses die as soon as Motherboard dies. In that case, purchase a new license. This is not the case for retail licenses which can be transferred to a new "MBD"

Sumit Dhiman2, Nov 14, 2017
  4. Swapped motherboard, cannot active my copy of win_10

Masterchiefxx17, Nov 14, 2017
  5. This is a custom built pc.

metalglasses, Nov 14, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm assuming you just took the old install of Windows 10 and moved it to the new motherboard? Are you logging in with a Microsoft Account and with a relatively recent build of Windows 10? If so, have you tried this?:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530

Also at the very end of that article is a link to contact Microsoft Customer Support to help you.

All that being said - if you installed an OEM version of Windows 10 on the retail motherboard that you originally built the computer with - you started out in violation of the OEM license agreement. Also, on a motherboard replacement under OEM licensing, it is the OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer - that is responsible for providing a new license for Windows because the license is not transferable (according to the EULA) to a new motherboard. And if you happened to use an OEM version of Windows, that OEM happens to be you now.

If you did use a full retail version of Windows - then just entering the product key that came with it again should activate it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Swapped motherboard, cannot active my copy of win_10

1. Swapped motherboard, cannot active my copy of win_10 - Similar Threads - Swapped motherboard cannot

2. Activating Windows 10 on a PC with motherboard swap because my motherboard got fried

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows 10 on a PC with motherboard swap because my motherboard got fried: Hello everyone, I need help in this as contacting support and browsing through the forum didn't answer my question.I also tried opening a 'service request' on the Get Help app on another PC. The request was opened with "Expect a call from a support agent in about 0 minutes"...
  3. Activating Windows 10 on a PC with motherboard swap because my motherboard got fried

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating Windows 10 on a PC with motherboard swap because my motherboard got fried: Hello everyone, I need help in this as contacting support and browsing through the forum didn't answer my question.I also tried opening a 'service request' on the Get Help app on another PC. The request was opened with "Expect a call from a support agent in about 0 minutes"...
  4. Activating Windows 10 on a PC with motherboard swap because my motherboard got fried

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot Activate after Motherboard swap.

Cannot Activate after Motherboard swap.: Hello I bought a PC with a fresh install of Windows 10 Home. I set up PC and activated/linked Windows 10 to my Microsoft account. A few moths later I upgraded my Motherboard and I wanted to make sure Windows 10 was activated on new MOBO to avoid any issues, problem is the " I...
  6. Cannot activate Windows 10 after motherboard swap

Cannot activate Windows 10 after motherboard swap: I recently installed a new motherboard and now unable to active my genuine digital copy of Windows 10 Home. I've followed the troubleshooting recommendations all to no avail; it tells me, "We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for...
  7. Cannot activate windows after motherboard swap.

Cannot activate windows after motherboard swap.: I had an old computer that originally had windows 7 installed from a disc that I upgraded to windows 10 a while ago. Today I upgraded its motherboard ,ram and cpu and now windows 10 wont re activate. I am logged onto the same Microsoft account that I used and it originally...
  8. Windows activation after motherboard swap

Windows activation after motherboard swap: I called Microsoft support to help with activating windows after I changed my motherboard. I have a digital licence that I received when upgrading from Windows 7 years ago. This had survived a previous motherboard swap a few years ago with no issue. Support told me there...
  9. I swapped the motherboard and cannot get the activation to work.

I swapped the motherboard and cannot get the activation to work.: So I swapped the motherboard and tried to activate it and didn't work. It keeps saying to try again later. After looking for possible solutions I gave up and referred me to the bot that tries to help. It asked if I had an activation key. I looked on microsoft, since I bought...
  10. Trying to swap my motherboard

Trying to swap my motherboard: Hey All, A few years ago I built my first PC and everything went great. Recently I tried to swap out my motherboard but after doing so couldn't reactivate windows. I then put my previous mobo back in and everything's running fine but I still would like to know how I can get...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. swapped motherboard now windows says its not active