Windows 10: swapping secondary drive with Steam, OneDrive, and Windows libraries?

Discus and support swapping secondary drive with Steam, OneDrive, and Windows libraries? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Long story short, my secondary drive (which is currently a 300GB 2.5" drive with latency issues) has my Steam, Origin, and uPlay game libraries;... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FuturDreamz, Oct 13, 2016.

1. swapping secondary drive with Steam, OneDrive, and Windows libraries?

Long story short, my secondary drive (which is currently a 300GB 2.5" drive with latency issues) has my Steam, Origin, and uPlay game libraries; Onedrive folder; and user folders (by going to Settings -> System -> Storage and moving eveything except apps to the secondary drive. I have just ordered a proper 7200rpm 3.5" 1 TB drive, and I intend to swap them out and giver the new drive the old drive letter. Origin and uPlay are never running unless I need them, and I can quit steam for the transfer. But I'm not so sure about how to do the user libraries and Onedrive without something breaking? Can I just copy everything over, swap the drive letter, then reboot? or should I do the drive letter swap in safe mode or a temporary user?

Thanks.

:)

FuturDreamz, Oct 13, 2016
  2. SamGrieve Win User

How to access secondary storage devices when using a homegroup?

Hi,

I want to share my steam games from my PC to my Laptop and have bought a crossover ethernet cable and have set up the homegroup.

Unfortuneatly I cannot go access my PC's secondary SSD from my laptop through the homegroup.

Is there any way that I can access a secondary storage drive through a homegroup?

Cheers,

Sam

SamGrieve, Oct 13, 2016
  3. File History

I have upgraded from Win7 Pro. Previously used Backup and Restore, saving the backups to my Secondary Drive (Dswapping secondary drive with Steam, OneDrive, and Windows libraries? :) which is an internal drive. OS is on Primary Drive (Cswapping secondary drive with Steam, OneDrive, and Windows libraries? :)

When I try to setup File History on Win 10, it cannot locate the secondary drive. No libraries are on (Dswapping secondary drive with Steam, OneDrive, and Windows libraries? :). I do have the OneDrive Folder placed in (Dswapping secondary drive with Steam, OneDrive, and Windows libraries? :).

I can setup File History using an External Flash Stick or HDD.

I prefer to use (Dswapping secondary drive with Steam, OneDrive, and Windows libraries? :) for file History.

Can the Secondary Internal Drive (Dswapping secondary drive with Steam, OneDrive, and Windows libraries? :) be used for File History?

Thanks

Jim T.

James A. Tramutolo, Oct 13, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

swapping secondary drive with Steam, OneDrive, and Windows libraries?

If there is no OS on secondary drive you can just copy everything over to new drive and than give it same letter. What could make a problem is stuff you moved over from primary/system drive. Windows may not let you transfer what are essentially system files/folders.
    Might be better idea to make full drive backup with Macrium Reflect first. When you boot from it's rescue disk just restore it on new disk and swap them before booting to windows.

CountMike, Oct 13, 2016
  5. I'm talking about the libraries. Does Windows use some magical juju to identify the drive with the libraries and OneDrive? Will something permanently bork in the time it takes me to remove the driver letter from the old drive and add it to the new one?

FuturDreamz, Oct 14, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    It will probably balk at those moved system folders. I would rather do it while not in your windows but from some other boot device. I normally use a live Linux distro but can also be done from Macruim Reflect BOOT/rescue USB or other Pe boot. You could also juste clen one disk to other one.

CountMike, Oct 14, 2016
  7. Update:

Steam didn't give a shit. I presume the same goes for Uplay and Origin
    Onedrive, however, threw up an error message and demanded I either reattach the old drive or sign back in. I signed back in, set the folder, and it's just processing changes but otherwise seems happy.
    The libraries were reset. I think they were empty anyways so I don't think i lost anything...

So moral: Windows does use magical juju after all. A proper disk cloning bootable usb may have avoided this idk

FuturDreamz, Oct 21, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

Cloning by using any boot disk other than windows on main disk, or even better, making and restoring from full backup, would have been much easier I think.

CountMike, Oct 21, 2016
  9. Josbeph Win User
    Well for a start you shouldn't mind about Steam, Origin or UPlay, because you can always reinstall the games. As for your Library's and Onedrive, don't worry about your Onedrive, that wont get corrupt, its stored online. Your Library's, just copy the files that are in all of them (Put in marked folders) to a USB stick ect and then just do what you need to do (Reinstall Windows ect) and then copy the files back. I used that method when upgrading to a HyperX Predator 2tb x4 PCIe SSD in my home server (running Windows Home Server) and it worked perfectly.

Josbeph, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. swapping secondary drive with Steam, OneDrive, and Windows libraries? - Similar Threads - swapping secondary drive

2. How to swap letters between disk drives Primary and secondary drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to swap letters between disk drives Primary and secondary drive?: Hello. I need some help with my windows and drives. In total I have now 3 drives. C:, B:, and E:. The B: drive is the one I installed today. It is an M.2 4TB SSD. After I installed it, I created a GPT partition which worked fine. I then used AOMEI Backupper, to copy all the...
  3. How to swap letters between disk drives Primary and secondary drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to swap letters between disk drives Primary and secondary drive?: Hello. I need some help with my windows and drives. In total I have now 3 drives. C:, B:, and E:. The B: drive is the one I installed today. It is an M.2 4TB SSD. After I installed it, I created a GPT partition which worked fine. I then used AOMEI Backupper, to copy all the...
  4. How to swap letters between disk drives Primary and secondary drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Problem with onedrive libraries

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with onedrive libraries: Hi,I have removed OneDrive a long time ago. Since then, I had 2 libraries of pictures and documents. They used different path.The path I want to keep is this one : C:\Users\%user%\Pictures C:\Users\%user%\DocumentsThe folder I want to remove is that one :...
  6. Problem with onedrive libraries

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with onedrive libraries: Hi,I have removed OneDrive a long time ago. Since then, I had 2 libraries of pictures and documents. They used different path.The path I want to keep is this one : C:\Users\%user%\Pictures C:\Users\%user%\DocumentsThe folder I want to remove is that one :...
  7. Problem with onedrive libraries

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Changed location of libraries to secondary drive, what happens after Windows reinstall?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changed location of libraries to secondary drive, what happens after Windows reinstall?: Hi, I have an SSD as main C:-Drive, and an HDD as the D:-Drive. The standard user libraries, which normaly would point to a location on the main drive, have it changed to the secondary drive. There, I have a folder called "My data". I did this via the properties. Now, I...
  9. Steam Library

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steam Library: Any Steam users here? Steam has updated the library with a new look. Not sure I like it yet. it was a bit buggy at first as the store wouldn't open as it should instantly or not at all. Then there was another update that seemed to fix that. Also to note is; any games you ever...
  10. Show us your Steam Library

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show us your Steam Library: Someone asked me a few days ago about what games i play so here it is show us your Library of Steam Games how much do you Game and what are some of your Favorites Right now i am playing WWE2K16 I enjoy Survival Horrors and Shooters with a mix of RPG and some simple mind...