Windows 10: Switch Operating Systems In Dual-Boot System

Discus and support Switch Operating Systems In Dual-Boot System in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Dual-boot system Partition C:\ = Windows 10 Pro Partition E:\ = Windows 7 Pro Would it be possible to switch the OSs? I have applications to clone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by caxtin, Mar 15, 2017.

1. caxtin Win User

Switch Operating Systems In Dual-Boot System

Dual-boot system
    Partition C:\ = Windows 10 Pro
    Partition E:\ = Windows 7 Pro
    Would it be possible to switch the OSs? I have applications to clone one partition to another but my concern are the already installed apps being functional. Did a Google search and all I found were changing drive letters only (Diskpart or Partition apps).

The goal would be:
    Dual-boot system
    Partition C:\ = Windows 7 Pro
    Partition E:\ = Windows 10 Pro

Thanks

:)

caxtin, Mar 15, 2017
  2. Aera Rua Win User

Ubuntu and Windows!!

Hello,

Dual boot system is when your computer system has two operating systems installed. When you have a dual boot system, at startup you’ll be ask which Operating system you would like to run in your computer. To help you in setting up dual boot, we recommend
    that you follow the steps in this
    Forum Article
    created by MVP Andre Da Costa on how to Dual Boot Windows 10 with other Operating System.

Don't hesitate to get back to us if you need further assistance.

Aera Rua, Mar 15, 2017
  3. mlg63 Win User
    Can we install a Duel Operating System with Windows 10

If you have a separate license to each operating system you can dual boot. You cannot dual boot with the operating system that is upgraded. The upgrade license replaces the license for the windows version being upgraded. In other words, you cannot dual
    boot with windows 8.1 and the windows 10 upgrade.

mlg63, Mar 15, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

What do you mean switch them ? Why do you have to switch them ?

You just set one as your default OS and use the other whenever you want to.

The OS you boot into will always be C, there`s no need to do anything, leave it alone.

AddRAM, Mar 15, 2017
  5. caxtin Win User
    I need to. I have an important app that would not work on Windows 10, but from XP through 7 and
    has to be on drive "C".

caxtin, Mar 15, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    When you boot to Windows 7, the OS will be on C:
    when you boot to Windows 10, the OS will be on C:, that's just the way it works.
    as AddRAM said, leave them alone or you may not be able to boot to anything.

Edwin, Mar 15, 2017
  7. caxtin Win User
    You know. I have always felt so. I have been using EasyBCD the last time I did dual-boot. Need to go back to EasyBCD again. I would swear I had used a dual-boot app that does what you and AddRam mentioned (always set the current running OS to "C".

I need to revisit the EasyBCD and the other dual-boot app web site and find out what I may have been doing wrong with respect to settings. Will report back to you when I find out.

I appreciate your insistences though.

caxtin, Mar 15, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

The bootloader has absolutely nothing to do with it. Drive letters are assigned by the Operating System itself when it loads. The boot menu runs off of the partition GUIDs, not drive letters.

NavyLCDR, Mar 15, 2017
  9. caxtin Win User
    Mmmm, interesting to know. Thanks!

caxtin, Mar 15, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    On windows 10, install Macrium Reflect Free, and from Other tasks, create a boot entry for Macrium.

Boot pc and select Macrium option.

Then select Restore tab, and click 'fix windows boot problems'

It will now list both Windows 10 and Windows 7.

Click next, finish, and it will create a nice boot menu so you can choose which to run.

Whichever you select will be the C drive.

cereberus, Mar 15, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Wouldn't it be easier to just open a Command Prompt (Admin) and run:

bcdboot E:\Windows /addlast

E:\ would be changed to the drive letter of the second Windows installation that is desired to be added.

NavyLCDR, Mar 15, 2017
  12. When you run EasyBCD and look at the boot menu, you will see the drive letters as viewed from the OS within which you are running the app.

So, if you are running it in Win10, Win10 will show as C: and Win7 will show as something else -- let's say E: for the sake of discussion.

But this is only so EasyBCD can make any changes to the BCD.

When you then reboot into Win7, as mentioned, you will see that IT is now C:, not E:

Mark Phelps, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Switch Operating Systems In Dual-Boot System - Similar Threads - Switch Operating Systems

2. Creating dual boot of two Windows operating systems.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Creating dual boot of two Windows operating systems.: Hey, I am using Windows 10 home single language 64 bit which is activated by an OEM key. I am planning to create a dual boot of Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I have the license key for Windows 8.1. My question is that Will it affect my activation? In future if I uninstall...
  3. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  4. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  5. Dual operating systems.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual operating systems.: Hi there, is it possible to have two windows 10 operating systems installed on the same drive that operate independently from each other? The aim here is to be able to do a pc reset on one operating system whilst leaving the other untouched. This has got nothing to do with...
  6. Dual boot system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual boot system: I am trying to set up a dual boot system with windows 7 and win10 each on different hard drives I am trying to help a freidn who has accounting software her computer is running windows7(OEM), intel,I5 3rd or 4th gen(3XXX), 8gb memory, and 500gb hard drive. the computer is...
  7. Dual Boot Only Boots Into Default OS- "Choose Operating System" broken

Dual Boot Only Boots Into Default OS- "Choose Operating System" broken: I have a dual boot system, and at the blue selection screen "Choose Operating System", it offers the choice between two builds of Win10. Before an update 'broke' it, I would just click on which OS I wanted, and it would boot into that OS. Now, it only allows me to boot into...
  8. adding Windows 10 as dual boot operating system

adding Windows 10 as dual boot operating system: I'd like to add Windows 10 (USB home version) as dual boot operating system. Simple reason is because I'm using software (Vista sp2) that doesn't offer driver support for M-audio devices (Firewire 1814) in conjunction with ProTools for Win 10; and still need to use it....
  9. Dual booting and system imaging

Dual booting and system imaging: Hey. So i currently have Windows 10 pro on my wd blue nvme 256gb and i have 500gb ssd for storing my games. I will get a another 500gb ssd for other media like videos and photos. I would like to get into video editing and that leads me to "how to do this". I want to dual...
  10. Option to dual boot when a 2nd operating system is not present

in Windows 10 Support
    Option to dual boot when a 2nd operating system is not present: Hey guys, first time here. I recently upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10. I have had everything activate properly. I then decided to do a fresh install of windows 10. I loaded boot media on my pc and everything went fine. Now with the fresh install of windows 10, at boot up,...