Windows 10: switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off

Discus and support switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; OK, with installing the new OS old issues come back to life. Here goes the question: can one have a physical switch somewhere on the PC case that can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by unifex, Oct 2, 2014.

1. unifex Win User

switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off

OK, with installing the new OS old issues come back to life. Here goes the question: can one have a physical switch somewhere on the PC case that can turn a single drive (HDD or SSD) on and off?

I did search the internet before posting and several solutions exist, but unfortunately none as complete as some add-on part that you can buy, plug the cables in it, and use at your discretion.

There are several software solutions, such as disabling the SATA port in BIOS that would probably work fine, but then the drive would still be connected to the power supply.

Someone has made the switch himself, i.e. actually built it inside a molex extension connector and even drilled an opening in his case for it, but I'd like to avoid the hard work *Wink.

What I want to achieve is the same ability provided by hot-swappable drive bays but for internal drives. This way I won't have to keep track of them lying around the place, but save some energy, reduce some noise, and just in general, I don't like things I don't use to be plugged in. I have about 6 drives in my machine, so turning off some back up ones seems to make sense. I already use the Windows power features, but it seems that a physical switch would be more efficient.

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

:)

unifex, Oct 2, 2014

2. HDD disappear when used

I have strange problem with Win 10. I have SSD and HDD setup. When I try to copy to HDD, it copy some files and then the drive disapperar form Task manager (not from the explorer) and speed drop to 0. It affect even external HDDs connected via USB 3.0
    and even network HDD.. After restart disk is not visible, only thing that helps is turn off PC and turn off power switch. After it the HDD acts as normal, but when i try again to copy (other) data, it write some of them than again, speed drop to 0 and HDD
    disappeared.

Hades Mefisto, Oct 2, 2014
  3. garyoden Win User
    what steps to preform after several win 10 crash's and no boots

after cmos clearing, unplugging hdd an ssd an graphics card, password clearing took a few starts an stops to finally post. Turned off, plugged in hdd ssd video card in . now it goes for a minute an restarts , it quit once, waited a few minutes turned on--
    still does it, on for minute the off, then on, ect. So now I just filing this in. I will try no hdd or ssd again, see if it will post, then boot from dvd. If I only had a brain switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off :)

garyoden, Oct 2, 2014
  4. ARC1020 Win User

ARC1020, Oct 2, 2014
  5. unifex Win User
    Excellent idea! Thanks! I don't need it for all six drives, I got three empty bays in my case, so this is going to work just fine.

unifex, Oct 2, 2014
  6. azasadny Win User
    Nice solution... I use the Star-Tec model.

azasadny, Oct 8, 2014
  7. tinmar49 Win User
    I can thoroughly recommend the ORICO caddys, they use molex and not sata power connectors. In the UK, Novatech have them under their own brand. They do not have a built in fan like some Icydock but I have never experienced overheating.

tinmar49, Oct 12, 2014
  8. badrobot Win User

@unifex , Sorry for digging up an old thread but there is actually an actual solution to this question. There is a hard drive switch available which I have installed at the back of my PC. But it comes with only 4 hard drive switches.

switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off [​IMG]

I myself have 5 hard drives installed, but since I only have 4 switches, I also just pull out the other hard drives on removable trays in front of the CPU case.

switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off [​IMG]

badrobot, Feb 16, 2015
Thema:

1. switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off - Similar Threads - switch turn HDD

2. How to switch from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to switch from hdd to ssd: Hi my laptop is running slow and its windows 11 so someone adviced me to install ssd. I did so but wen I check. My laptop is still using hdd instead of ssd. I did try to install windows using USb but not working . Please help me out...
  3. How to switch from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to switch from hdd to ssd: Hi my laptop is running slow and its windows 11 so someone adviced me to install ssd. I did so but wen I check. My laptop is still using hdd instead of ssd. I did try to install windows using USb but not working . Please help me out...
  4. switching OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    switching OS from HDD to SSD: I dont care about any of the data on the drives, I just want to know the fastest way to switch my windows 10 from my 1tb HDD to my 240 gb SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-os-from-hdd-to-ssd/b1ae418e-cf78-4019-9797-810bc531bfd6
  5. switching OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    switching OS from HDD to SSD: I dont care about any of the data on the drives, I just want to know the fastest way to switch my windows 10 from my 1tb HDD to my 240 gb SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-os-from-hdd-to-ssd/b1ae418e-cf78-4019-9797-810bc531bfd6
  6. switching OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. HDD to SSD switch question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    HDD to SSD switch question: I am planning a HDD to SSD swap project on a laptop. I plan to restore a disk image of the HDD from an external storage drive to an unallocated (brand new) SSD. Do I need to do anything about alignment on the SSD, before or after? 170564
  8. SSD and HDD boot sequence off

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD and HDD boot sequence off: I have a peculiar problem. I have a dell Inspiron 3521 laptop. It was running windows 10 as primary OS and Ubuntu as secondary with grub as boot manager. I got frequent BSODs so thought may be the HDD was dying so removed the HDD and replaced it with an SSD and did a clean...
  9. Secondary HDD not turning off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary HDD not turning off: Hey guys, I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro yesterday and so far everything works great, the only problem is that my secondary HDD always stays on. I have a 128GB SSD as my main drive and an 750GB HDD as my secondary drive for games, pictures and stuff. Since the...
  10. Stop HDD's switching off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stop HDD's switching off: Hi there Is there anyway to stop HDD's from switching off after some period of inactivity I''m testing a media server and obviously I don't want to have to wait 30 secs or so (seems like that) while the HDD's spin up before serving files I've changed all the power...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 switch off manually secondary hdd

2. how to turn off hdd fan in windows

3. hdd on and off