Windows 10: Switch User - at least 2 methods fail (Start menu, tsdiscon.exe)

Discus and support Switch User - at least 2 methods fail (Start menu, tsdiscon.exe) in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I work on a desktop with multiple users changing frequently, and like to switch users rapidly and easily. I used to have a taskbar shortcut to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by mbalax, Jul 30, 2015.

1. mbalax Win User

Switch User - at least 2 methods fail (Start menu, tsdiscon.exe)

I work on a desktop with multiple users changing frequently, and like to switch users rapidly and easily.
    I used to have a taskbar shortcut to tsdiscon.exe (in System32) which worked fine in Win 8. In Win 10 I've had to reinstall tsdiscon.exe, but it doesn't work - I get a brief flash to the lock screen, and then get immediately returned to my desktop. Start > Shutdown > Switch user has the same effect.
    Keyboard Win+L works OK.
    Any ideas? (apart from always using Win+L *Wink )

:)

mbalax, Jul 30, 2015

2. Automate Switch User in Windows 10

We understand that you wanted to create a shortcut which will switch the user with just a click away. Switch user switch user function allows administrators to assume the identity of a user, it can also be used to test a user's access to resources and to
    perform application integration testing. The following options may be used in switching the user:

Option 1: To Switch User from Start Menu

• Open the Start menu, click/tap on your user name, and click/tap on the user account you want to switch to.
    • You will now be taken directly to the sign-in screen of the selected account.

Option 2: To Switch User by Running tsdiscon.exe

• Right-click on the Windows icon; then select Command Prompt.
    • Type the following:
    C:\Windows\System32\tsdiscon.exe

Press Enter. You will now be on the sign-in screen to select and sign in to the account you want to switch to.

Option 3: To Switch User from Alt+F4 Shut Down Windows Dialog

• Click/tap on your desktop to make it the current focused (active) window, and press the
      Alt+F4 keys.
    • Select Switch user in the drop down menu, and click/tap on
      OK
      or press Enter.
    • You will now be taken to the lock screen to unlock.
    • Select and sign in to the account you want to switch to.

Option 4: To Switch User from Ctrl+Alt+Del Screen

• Press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys, and click/tap on Switch user.
    • You will now be taken directly to the sign-in screen to select and sign in to the account you want to switch to.

Option 5: To Switch User from Sign-in Screen

• While on the sign-in screen, select and sign in to the account you want to switch to.

Option 6: To Switch User from Task Manager

• Right-click on the Windows icon; then select Task Manager.
    • Click on More details.
    • Click/tap on the Users tab, right click or press and hold on an already signed in user that you want to switch to, and click/tap on
      Switch user account.
    • You will now be taken directly to the sign-in screen of the selected account.

The options provided above are the only ways in switching the user. What we recommend is that you choose the easy way in switching the user.

Feel free to post your query should you need assistance.

Vanessa Oca, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Microsoft Solitaire Collection does not load properly

I have the same issue, and I tried all the proposed solutions.

• Method 1: no issue found
    • Method 2: program downloaded and run. Installed some kind of updates; restarted and still same problem.
    • Method 3: created new user, new email; switched user from Start menu, pc blocked on the new blue window screen. Laptop rebooted, choose new user, input password, error: "The user Profile service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded".

UmbertoCocca, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

Hi Mbalax, welcome to the Ten Forums.

TSDISCON works without issues on all my systems. Start has no Shutdown selection but the Power options link instead and that has no Switch user selection, you need to click your name / avatar in the Start Menu and then select another user. That also works without issues. CTRL + ALD + DEL > Switch User works as it should.

I suspect there's something wrong with your Windows system files and recommend to run SFC /SCANNOW as many times as needed. See the tutorial: SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

The fastest way is to click Start, click your avatar and select another user. Three clicks, a fraction of a second.

Thema:

1. Switch User - at least 2 methods fail (Start menu, tsdiscon.exe) - Similar Threads - Switch User least

2. exe often fails to start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    exe often fails to start: exe fails to start. 2 machines out of 3 exhibit problem. 1 win 10, 1 win 11. one beep when it fails. app built on win 10 with vb6.checked permissions, fire wall, exe association, virus, no luck....
  3. exe often fails to start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    exe often fails to start: exe fails to start. 2 machines out of 3 exhibit problem. 1 win 10, 1 win 11. one beep when it fails. app built on win 10 with vb6.checked permissions, fire wall, exe association, virus, no luck....
  4. exe often fails to start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Exe Icons disappear on Start Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Exe Icons disappear on Start Menu: As shown in picture, all exe applications excluding those from Microsoft store disappears on start menu. Even disappear in all Apps. I have tried some methods such as sfc/scannow, delete iconcache create another user account etc., but none of them work so far.Anyone has...
  6. Quick Menu of Start (power user menus) failed to function

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Menu of Start (power user menus) failed to function: I got an Lenovo Y460 laptop and don't know since when the quick menu of start (by right click) fails to function properly ie I only managed to use some of the default function eg run and power but almost all others do not function eg computer management etc. I tried to add a...
  7. Fast user switching entry missing on Start menu only.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Fast user switching entry missing on Start menu only.: I have an issue where the Fast User Switching function is missing from the Start Menu only. I can Fast user switch from the Ctrl-L lock screen and the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen. I have researched this extensively on this and other forums, but haven't found this exact symptoms. I...
  8. Switch User entry missing from Start Menu

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Switch User entry missing from Start Menu: This may sound like a repeat of a previous post but I'm pretty certain it isn't. I have Fast User Switching enabled per instructions in Enable or Disable Fast User Switching in Windows 10 I am able to switch user with the Ctl-Alt-Del menu item and from the Win-L lock screen....
  9. Start/Shutdown menu changed its default to "switch user"

in Windows 10 Support
    Start/Shutdown menu changed its default to "switch user": A week or two ago, my Start/Shutdown menu changed its default from Shutdown to "switch user." Also, when I get the full shutdown menu, there is a new option to "update and restart." But there are no updates pending. [img] How can I get back to the standard shutdown menu,...
  10. EXE files and Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    EXE files and Start menu: Is there any way I can put an .exe file on the Start menu? I know I can put a link to it on the desktop but that has too many icons on it already. Thank you. 22594