Windows 10: Switching from Display Port to HDMI Shuts Off Display Port

Discus and support Switching from Display Port to HDMI Shuts Off Display Port in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I'm using a Dell U3415W monitor. My video card is AMD Radeon RX480. The monitor is connected via DisplayPort to my computer. The monitor is connected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Lery, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Lery Win User

Switching from Display Port to HDMI Shuts Off Display Port

I'm using a Dell U3415W monitor. My video card is AMD Radeon RX480. The monitor is connected via DisplayPort to my computer. The monitor is connected via HDMI to my work laptop. When I want to switch over to HDMI, it acts as if I shut off the monitor on the Displayport shifting everything over to my secondary monitor. It causes no problem, but drives me nuts because when I switch back over to DIsplayPort, I have to move my open programs around again. Is there any simple way to make this stop? If I don't use DisplayPort, and instead use HDMI/DVI combination, the behavior described does not happen. I'm guessing that is just the way it is, but I'm hoping there is an easy way to make it stop.

:)

2. Have Windows 10 with NVidia Quadro K3100M and intel integrated video cards in mobile workstation - had 3 monitors now only 2

How do I get windows 10 pro to recognise the two external monitors as well as the integrated display , one is connected to the HDMI (wired internally to the K3100M Card) and the other to the VGA (wired internally to the intel Card)

The Internal screen seems to be wired via the Intel Card.

Have latest Drivers installed.

Note Worked perfectly well with Windows 7 Pro

ps Use the laptop on the road so can't disable intel graphics as that would Kill Battery Life also need the vga port.

I don't have any display port displays but have this port on the K3100M as well so I should be able to run 3 external monitors.

Also can have both adaptors running at same time so that not the problem, but if connect vga display when the HDMI one is running , then widows switches the external display to the vga (intel port) and switches the HDMI off.

NVidia Control panel shows that it knows about the HDMI display but windows ignoring it

David_s_k21, Jul 12, 2016
  3. CRXTim Win User
    dual external displays on lenovo g50-45 and windows 10

When I try and connect a second monitor to either VGA or HDMI ports, it works fine, giving me a display on the laptop and whichever display I plug in. When I try and use 2 external displays, the laptop recognizes there are 3 displays (the laptop screen
    and the 2 external monitors) but it only allows me to display on the laptop and one or the other of the external displays. I want to display solely on the 2 external displays and turn off the laptop screen. I say it recognizes both external monitors because
    when I go into settings, it shows 3 displays.

I do not get any error messages.

When I switch the cables, the laptop defaults to the HDMI when I have both HDMI and VGA connected, but when I disconnect the HDMI, the display shows up on the monitor plugged into the VGA port.

CRXTim, Jul 12, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

Are you using two different Resolutions ? ie is the laptop using 3440x1440 like the Desktop ?
    it sounds like the Monitor isn't resetting the Res after you switch back , you may need to hit auto adjust instead ?

Kbird, Jul 13, 2016
  5. Lery Win User
    Yes, the two monitors use two different resolutions. If I use HDMI for both monitors, it never happens. It's only when using one with displayport. When I switch the Dell monitor over to my HDMI connection, my desktop completely switches over to the second monitor thinking it's it the only monitor connected. It must have something to do with displayport.

6. Kbird Win User
    Yep weird , I have multimonitor setup too but switching inputs does not cause Win10 on the desktop to stop it's signal if I switch one monitor to DVI or HDMI etc. but I am using a Nvidia Card so not sure if that is the difference?

maybe the way the Dell monitor handles inputs though so I'd try them for info too

Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Switching from Display Port to HDMI Shuts Off Display Port - Similar Threads - Switching Display Port

2. HDMI instead of Display Port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDMI instead of Display Port: My computer has been using the display port for a long time. I now want to use the HDMI port, but it will not display. It displays fine on the DP but when I connect to the HDMI port, it just stays blank. I purchased a new computer and would like to use my old one headlessly,...
  3. HDMI instead of Display Port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDMI instead of Display Port: My computer has been using the display port for a long time. I now want to use the HDMI port, but it will not display. It displays fine on the DP but when I connect to the HDMI port, it just stays blank. I purchased a new computer and would like to use my old one headlessly,...
  4. HDMI instead of Display Port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. No single/display problem hdmi port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No single/display problem hdmi port: I have upgraded my pc and plug with smat tv with hdmi port and other end with my gpu hdmi port, whenever I restart my pc display is not showing untill I plug and unplug my hdmi cable 1-2 times even I have uninstalled latest display driver and do as good as I can, but still...
  6. No single/display problem hdmi port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No single/display problem hdmi port: I have upgraded my pc and plug with smat tv with hdmi port and other end with my gpu hdmi port, whenever I restart my pc display is not showing untill I plug and unplug my hdmi cable 1-2 times even I have uninstalled latest display driver and do as good as I can, but still...
  7. Display vs HDMI Ports

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Display vs HDMI Ports: Which to use is the Question. I built a computer (never done that before) to use 4 monitors. My video card (not a gamer) is a Nvidia Quadro P-1000 which has 4 display mini outputs with connectors for large display connection outputs. I bought - Display to HDMI cables for use...
  8. Input lag with HDMI, but not with Display port?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Input lag with HDMI, but not with Display port?: I've tried it on two different displays, monitor and FireTV. The lag with display port + monitor is fine, but hdmi is horrendous with either and FireTV doesn't have DP. I see mentions of different configs to help with HDMI lag, but I'm getting a solid half second of lag....
  9. Display port for HDMI not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display port for HDMI not working: I cannot get the second monitor to work. It seems there is no output signal from display port for HDMI. I'm wondering if there is some setting that need to be done? (The monitor (HP LA2306x) is working fine with another computer)...
  10. display port to hdmi no signal

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    display port to hdmi no signal: when i connect a dvi or hdmi from my gtx 780 to my acer H274HL Monitor all works fine but when i want to connect display port cable on my gtx 780 and the other side is hdmi that goes to my monitor than there is no signal at all i am running windows 10 64 bit enterprise and...