Windows 10: Switching Microsoft accounts without creating new profile broken?

Discus and support Switching Microsoft accounts without creating new profile broken? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, I have also posted this on the TN forums so apaologies if anyone is reading this a second time but the wider I cast the net and all that...... I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by smipx, Aug 2, 2015.

1. smipx Win User

Switching Microsoft accounts without creating new profile broken?

Hi, I have also posted this on the TN forums so apaologies if anyone is reading this a second time but the wider I cast the net and all that......

I have stumbled upon a big problem for me and wonder if it is a bug or by design.

I have a microsoft account that I was using for insider and testing and recently upgraded my machine to RTM. Machine is fine in every sense apart from one thing. I wanted to unlink my account and associate my account with a different Microsoft account.

Old account example L: someone@something.com

new account example L: foobar@anything.com

To do this I specifically wish to retain my actual account in Windows (i.e. same profile) as I have a lot of software and other things I don't want to set up again under a new profile. So...... I unlinked my MS account and converted the profile on my computer to a local account (e.g. name = foobar).

I then rebooted. Just to be sure I went in to L: someone@someting.com at login.live.com, went to the account settings and removed the machine from the list of devices associated with the account.

I then went into settings on teh machine and chose to link the account to a microsoft account. This time to L: foobar@anyting.com. It asked me for the password for the second microsoft account, asked me for my local account password and then told me that all was good and I had to logoff and back on again for it to take effect. I did so and low and behold the account associated with the profile is not L: foobar@anything.com but has gone back to the original L: someone@something.com.

I rebooted and it's still the same. Even though I explicitly removed the account and also removed the association online it refused to link it to the other account and worse - it actually reassociated it with the old account. A major security concern for one and for the other thing it is most annoying that it seems that the only way to achieve what I want is to create a brand new profile on the machine and link it to the second MS account. This will therefore result in a lot of work, the loss of my profile cached information (that I want to keep), setting up multiple pieces of software that are linked to the "profile" such as my cloud storage.

Not good :-(

Anyone else have this problem?

Cheers.

Paul

:)

smipx, Aug 2, 2015

2. Cortana Bug

Hi Shakthi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To check if the issue occurs on new User Profile, I suggest you to switch the Microsoft Account to Local Account and then create a new Microsoft Account using the same email id.

Step 1:

To Switch to local user account follow these steps:

a. Press “Windows key +W”.

b. Type “users” without quotes in the search box.

c. Then select “Users” from the left panel.

d. You will get an option “Switch to a Local account” right below your user account name.

e. Select “Switch to a local account” option.

f. Enter the required details.

g. Then login to the local account and check how it works.

Step 2:

Now create a new Microsoft Account using the same email id and check if you face any further issues.

To create a new User Account follow these steps:

1. Click on Start.

2. Click on Settings.

3. Type ‘Add, delete and manage other user accounts’ in search box.

4. Now click on ‘Add someone else to this pc’.

5. And follow the instructions to create a new User Account.

Keep us posted for further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, Aug 2, 2015
  3. sleep mode is like turnoff mode asus laptop

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.
    To check if the issue occurs on new User Profile, I suggest you to switch the Microsoft Account to Local Account and then create a new Microsoft Account using the same email id.

Step 1:

To Switch to local user account follow these steps:

a. Press “Windows key +W”.

b. Type “users” without quotes in the search box.

c. Then select “Users” from the left panel.

d. You will get an option “Switch to a Local account” right below your user account name.

e. Select “Switch to a local account” option.

f. Enter the required details.

g. Then login to the local account and check how it works.

Step 2:

Now create a new Microsoft Account using the same email id and check if you face any further issues.

To create a new User Account follow these steps:

1. Click on Start.

2. Click on Settings.

3. Type ‘Add, delete and manage other user accounts’ in search box.

4. Now click on ‘Add someone else to this pc’.

5. And follow the instructions to create a new User Account.

Keep us posted for further assistance, we will be glad to help

Akheel Ahmed, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

Switching Microsoft accounts without creating new profile broken?

1. Switching Microsoft accounts without creating new profile broken? - Similar Threads - Switching Microsoft accounts

2. Profile possibly corrupt - Create New Profile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Profile possibly corrupt - Create New Profile: The original issue - O365 web based Outlook. When attaching a file the file attachment doesn't complete before stalling and disappearing. These are small PDF, text files. No limits are being reached. Mailbox is at 27% full.Windows 10 ProIt is suspected that the profile is...
  3. How to Switch the Microsoft account linked to User profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Switch the Microsoft account linked to User profile: I want to change the Microsoft account that is linked to my User profile.I haven't found anything on this topic online and am wondering if this is even possible....
  4. How to Switch the Microsoft account linked to User profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Switch the Microsoft account linked to User profile: I want to change the Microsoft account that is linked to my User profile.I haven't found anything on this topic online and am wondering if this is even possible....
  5. Problem Creating New Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem Creating New Microsoft Account: I am trying to create a second Microsoft Account. I have gone through the steps of creating my new user-id and password without problem. When I click, in order to create the account, it shows the status bar moving as if it is creating the account. It continues like this...
  6. Switching to New Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Switching to New Microsoft Account: I have an old microsoft account *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. This account has all of my info, to include my Xbox live subscription and purchases. I want to move it all under my new microsoft account *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. How do I do...
  7. Create action to switch audio profiles?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Create action to switch audio profiles?: Hi I'm looking for an app or ability to create a shortcut that allows me to switch from stereo to 5.1 surround sound and back to stereo when I want to. I have to go into sound settings > configure > 5.1 surround sound > every time I watch a movie. And I have to change it...
  8. How can I switch out of S mode without creating a Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I switch out of S mode without creating a Microsoft account?: i. e. I do not wish to be forced to provide an email address, phone number or Skype account. submitted by /u/unnamed887 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ehys99/how_can_i_switch_out_of_s_mode_without_creating_a/
  9. How do I create a new user account WITHOUT a Microsoft account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I create a new user account WITHOUT a Microsoft account?: I have been trying for the past two hours to get a runas command to work, but I am crippled every time by a user name or password incorrect. I've tried deleting my admin password, I've changed the admin password, nothing works. (Linux is so much easier to use). I am the...
  10. How do I create a new user account WITHOUT a Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I create a new user account WITHOUT a Microsoft account?: I have been trying for the past two hours to get a runas command to work, but I am crippled every time by a user name or password incorrect. I've tried deleting my admin password, I've changed the admin password, nothing works. (Linux is so much easier to use). I am the...