Windows 10: Switching three W10 systems

Discus and support Switching three W10 systems in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello - This might start out like a jumbled mess but hopefully I'll be able to clarify so please bear with me. I have three systems A, B & C A is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by vgbaron, Mar 16, 2017.

1. vgbaron Win User

Switching three W10 systems

Hello - This might start out like a jumbled mess but hopefully I'll be able to clarify so please bear with me.
    I have three systems A, B & C
    A is main system running W10 Pro 64 and 3770K - w10 was purchased from MS store
    B is secondary running W10 Home 64 and 980X - w10 was free upgrade
    C is tertiary running W10 Pro 64 and Q6600 - w10 was free upgrade

ok, I am building a new KabyLake system. I plan on taking the OS from A and all the SSD's to populate KBL system.

I want to put the OLD mobo and CPU from A into system B *BUT* I want to take the W10PRO OS from C.

What I want to end up with is two systems - the KabyLake new system running w10Pro and the B system with 3770K also running W10PRO 64.

The remaining systems will be scrapped. I know how to physically do what is required but I'm confused as to moving the OS and reactivation.

If I just plug in my main system OS ssd into new system, I understand it should update the proper drivers and I'll need to reactivate. My problem comes when I just want to move the WPRO OS from system C - not the physical drive.

I'm guessing that I could image W10Pro drive from "C" to current W10 HOME drive in "B" and plug it into system. Shouldn't w10 recognize the system change and install correct drivers? Or should I download an iso from somewhere and do a fresh install?

As to the activation -without any product keys, can I (and how do I) link all my OS's to my MS account?

Hopefully I've given an idea of what I want to do - I am assuming it is possible AND within the licensing scope of my W10 installs.

Thanc!

Vic

:)

vgbaron, Mar 16, 2017
  2. Jayanuba Win User

W10 corrupts W7 hard drive

(For any query related to Windows Operating System, feel free to post on Microsoft Community.)

Is this not a W10 operating system problem?

Anyway, Turns out corruption is caused by a service in W10 switched on by default. This causes W10 to run a disk check. Other forums seem aware of this and have been suggesting for quite some time it's switched "off" by default.

Still don't understand why w10 uses chkdisk on a raid Array, or why W10 chkdsk corrupts the drive, but switching it off resolves the problem and prevents many hours of reloading W7.

Jayanuba, Mar 16, 2017
  3. Kinyin Win User
    Windows 7 Family Pack to Windows 10 Upgrade - 1 Serial, 3 Computers

So I recently upgraded one of my W7 Family Pack installations to W10. A family pack is one serial number for three computers. The other two systems are running W7 still and are currently having hardware upgrades done. They may not be up and running before
    the W10 cutoff date. However, since there is only one serial number and one system has already associated that serial with W10, will I be able to upgrade the other two systems to W10 after the cutoff date? Or can a Family Pack serial be associated with multiple
    versions of Windows?

Kinyin, Mar 16, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member
  5. vgbaron Win User
    Thanx! That was very informative. So, if I follow the logic, I link my MSA to the old system. I will then clone the small OS drive on that system to a larger drive and put THAT drive in the new system. I should then be able to use the link to reactivate the OS on the completely new system. Or would it be more efficient to cone the drive first and then link it and move it.

I appreciate the help.

Vic

vgbaron, Mar 16, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The first thing you need to do is log into the same Microsoft Account from all three computers and make sure on the activation screen you see:

Switching three W10 systems [​IMG]

Then if you log in to your Microsoft Account and look in devices, you should see them all listed:

Switching three W10 systems [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2017
  7. vgbaron Win User
    AHA! That's what I was missing. Each device will be listed. sorry for being dense but one more thing. Device A is Pro, Device B is Home and Device C is Pro - all will be individually linked. So if I take the hdd from A(pro) and install it in B(home) and use the troubleshooter to activate - the device B will now be A and I can trash B.

Vic

vgbaron, Mar 16, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

That is correct. Be advised, people have experimented with this and it looks like you can only move each Windows license 3 times through the Microsoft account. You should have a total of 6 Pro license moves and 3 Home license moves.

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2017
  9. vgbaron Win User
    I shouild be good to go - this is my first try at this. Now I have one more decision to make - assuming if I transfer the Pro license to the Home system, I will lose all the installed programs and have to reinstall since none of them are on the original Pro system. SO i have to weigh the advantages of just staying with the Home system and keeping the installed items or switching and going through all the setups.

Either way, I think I have a handle on the process thanks to your help.

I appreciate it!

Vic

vgbaron, Mar 16, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why don't you just upgrade the Home to Pro and then transfer one of the Pro licenses to it? All you have to do is change the product key to VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2017
  11. vgbaron Win User
    Now that makes sense. So - link the three licenses - on current Home system - upgrade to Pro - then link to prior Pro to activate.

How to do the in place upgrade with no cost? Settings/Update/Activate add product key?

V

vgbaron, Mar 16, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, change the product key to the generic Pro product key provided. It will upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, but not activate. Then you use the activation troubleshooter to move a Pro license from one of the devices listed in your Microsoft Account.

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2017
  13. vgbaron Win User

Got it!

Thanx!

V

vgbaron, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Switching three W10 systems - Similar Threads - Switching three W10

2. Should I switch to W10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I switch to W10?: Hi I am a linux user, I want to play league of legends but my system sucks, I was able to play on W7 quite good on low settings around 100 fps. My system specs are Pentium g3260 CPU 4 GB DDR3 Ram 500GB HDD and R5 220. Should I switch Windows 10 or go with Windows 7. Regards....
  3. Need help switching between three monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need help switching between three monitors: I have my computer connected to three screens. Two 1080p monitors and a 4k TV. I want to use the two monitors for regular use, but switch over to displaying on the TV for media consumption. Also, one of the two monitors I'm using is oriented vertically. My monitors are as...
  4. Slowing down three-finger switching apps gesture ?

Slowing down three-finger switching apps gesture ?: Hey guys, I'm fairly used to the switching apps gesture but it's damn too fast, I have to do micro movements on the trackpad to be able to choose which app to switch to/go to the previous app. Is there any way to slow down the gesture sensitivity so that's it's easier to...
  5. Three Consecutive Windows 10 System Failures

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Three Consecutive Windows 10 System Failures: My computer has been repeatedly breaking; each time it has happened I have been forced to use Ubuntu to wipe the Windows 10 partition and start from scratch, but that has only been a temporary solution. After a couple days, it breaks again with a new error after I shutdown. I...
  6. Switching between three languages with macros

Switching between three languages with macros: Hello, guys! On my computer I use mainly my native language (Bulgarian) and English and I switch between them constantly. I started learning Japanese last year and there are instances where I need to use Japanese keyboard. My question is - is there any setting or a third...
  7. Three Win10 Machines connected via switch

Three Win10 Machines connected via switch: I have one server, two pcs, a laptop and two xbox's all connected using the following network scheme: Modem > All-in-One Router > 8-port switch > everything else (server/pc from switch, phones/laptops via wireless) My question is: Why does my Network Explorer window not...
  8. System language in w10

in Windows 10 Customization
    System language in w10: Hi guys, so, my laptop's system language by default was Polish. First I've installed the new language package, changed it, restarted the laptop and etc. the problem was not solved. So then I changed the locale language to English, but still in some cases the Polish language...
  9. W10 suddenly switched back to metro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 suddenly switched back to metro: So I installed a program called classic shell because I couldn't stand the new metro. I originally started using this program with W8. I haven't had any issues until now. All of a sudden, after logging it, it switched back to metro. I can't get rid of it. My classic shell...
  10. Inexpensive Three Monitor Graphics Card That Works With W10?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Inexpensive Three Monitor Graphics Card That Works With W10?: I work in a mortgage office and the boss would like to have three monitors for certain people to improve productivity. Anyway I did some research and found that a number of people were surprised that cards they had did not work with Windows 10. Anyone know of lower end...