Windows 10: Symbolic Links (Soft Links)

Discus and support Symbolic Links (Soft Links) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings, I have a large number of symbolic links (soft links) on my PC that I want to migrate to a new machine with an identical directory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JayD1, Oct 22, 2016.

1. JayD1 Win User

Symbolic Links (Soft Links)

Greetings,

I have a large number of symbolic links (soft links) on my PC that I want to migrate to a new machine with an identical directory structure. When I use various backup or copy programs that clone files (bit copy), the symbolic links do not work on the target machine (they get converted to empty files instead of links). Any help would be appreciated.

:)

JayD1, Oct 22, 2016

2. Symbolic links & Disk Usage

Thank you for your reply, however your suggestion is not clear.

I assumed that by creating a symbolic link ... if the original data was stored on drive C: and linked to drive D: that the information would be stored on drive D: (and space would be taken), the C: drive would contain sort of "virtual files" - identical
    to those on the D: drive, and would take no space.

The files would be stored on drive D: but would be accessed by other programs as if the files/folders were on the C: drive.

I have found that the files/folders take space on BOTH the C: and D: drive - I was told, in another thread, that there really was no storage on the original C: drive and that the space taken on the C: drive was really empty.

** My main concern is that Windows 10 Home, although it incorrectly detects space on the C: drive (since the symbolic link folders are on the D: drive), would still think that the C: drive is full when the limit of the hard drive is reached - event though
    all the files are virtual files that are really contained on the D: drive

Jules Hersh, Oct 22, 2016
  3. Symbolic Links - Windows 10

Hello "cmdr"

Thanks for the helpful notice.

Just as a followup: Is there anyway to get an accurate reading of the true disk space used?

Jules Hersh, Oct 22, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, don't know if this is any help:
    Link Shell Extension

- clearly by someone with a very detailed understanding.

dalchina, Oct 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Symbolic Links (Soft Links) - Similar Threads - Symbolic Links Soft

2. Symbolic link question for itunes backup. Symbolic link seems to have been overwritten....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Symbolic link question for itunes backup. Symbolic link seems to have been overwritten....: So, I created a symbolic link a while back to force itunes to backup data from an iPhone to a secondary internal hard drive. I understand this is a Windows forum, but perhaps somebody can help.I initially was able to save the backups through windows 10 to the secondary hard...
  3. Symbolic link question for itunes backup. Symbolic link seems to have been overwritten....

in Windows 10 Customization
    Symbolic link question for itunes backup. Symbolic link seems to have been overwritten....: So, I created a symbolic link a while back to force itunes to backup data from an iPhone to a secondary internal hard drive. I understand this is a Windows forum, but perhaps somebody can help.I initially was able to save the backups through windows 10 to the secondary hard...
  4. Symbolic links/Folder links

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Symbolic links/Folder links: Apologies for the long introcution first; I have read a number of questions and answers relating to symbolic links with interest, and have noted that del, rmdir mklink, file explorer are all dangerous tools to use in order to remove a symbolic link. I had a PC with several...
  5. Symbolic links/Folder links

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Symbolic links/Folder links: Apologies for the long introcution first; I have read a number of questions and answers relating to symbolic links with interest, and have noted that del, rmdir mklink, file explorer are all dangerous tools to use in order to remove a symbolic link. I had a PC with several...
  6. Symbolic links/Folder links

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Symbolic link deletion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Symbolic link deletion: Hello,I am having an issue. When I have tried to remove symlink using commands del, mkdir, unlink etc, they not helped to unlink. Either access is denied or file is not ok. I can't create and create a new symlink....
  8. Need help with symbolic links

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help with symbolic links: Windows 10, build 19041.329 I am trying to set up a computer with Windows 10. The problem I am having is this: After I installed Windows 10, I then followed the advice given here, How to move user folders to different location on Windows 10 | Windows Central, to move all of...
  9. Symbolic links inside linked folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Symbolic links inside linked folder: Hi I'm creating symbolic links of one folder (Missions folder) to server so that the server can load the missions from the linked folder and this works. But the problem is that when I create symbolic links inside the sub folders (of Missions folder) then the server fails to...
  10. Create Soft and Hard Symbolic Links in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Soft and Hard Symbolic Links in Windows: How to: Create Soft and Hard Symbolic Links in Windows How to Create Soft and Hard Symbolic Links in Windows A symbolic link is a file-system object (file or directory) that points to another file system object (file or directory). The object being pointed to is called...