Windows 10: Symbolic Links (Soft Links)

Discus and support Symbolic Links (Soft Links) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings, I have a large number of symbolic links (soft links) on my PC that I want to migrate to a new machine with an identical directory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JayD1, Oct 22, 2016.

1. JayD1 Win User

Symbolic Links (Soft Links)

Greetings,

I have a large number of symbolic links (soft links) on my PC that I want to migrate to a new machine with an identical directory structure. When I use various backup or copy programs that clone files (bit copy), the symbolic links do not work on the target machine (they get converted to empty files instead of links). Any help would be appreciated.

:)

JayD1, Oct 22, 2016

2. Symbolic links & Disk Usage

Thank you for your reply, however your suggestion is not clear.

I assumed that by creating a symbolic link ... if the original data was stored on drive C: and linked to drive D: that the information would be stored on drive D: (and space would be taken), the C: drive would contain sort of "virtual files" - identical
    to those on the D: drive, and would take no space.

The files would be stored on drive D: but would be accessed by other programs as if the files/folders were on the C: drive.

I have found that the files/folders take space on BOTH the C: and D: drive - I was told, in another thread, that there really was no storage on the original C: drive and that the space taken on the C: drive was really empty.

** My main concern is that Windows 10 Home, although it incorrectly detects space on the C: drive (since the symbolic link folders are on the D: drive), would still think that the C: drive is full when the limit of the hard drive is reached - event though
    all the files are virtual files that are really contained on the D: drive

Jules Hersh, Oct 22, 2016
  3. Symbolic Links - Windows 10

Hello "cmdr"

Thanks for the helpful notice.

Just as a followup: Is there anyway to get an accurate reading of the true disk space used?

Jules Hersh, Oct 22, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, don't know if this is any help:
    Link Shell Extension

- clearly by someone with a very detailed understanding.

dalchina, Oct 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Symbolic Links (Soft Links) - Similar Threads - Symbolic Links Soft

2. Mail links

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mail links: In the past, whenever I click on a link in an email I'm taken directly to my browser and the link tab opens. Now when I hit a link in and email I can see the tab open in the browser but the mail window remains on top. What setting has changed? Is it MS mail or in my...
  3. Blackberry Link

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blackberry Link: Blackberry Link software for connecting Blackberry phone to PC stopped working after the installation of Windows 10 Fall Update. How to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blackberry-link/72aaac1e-91bd-47e3-bc76-ac0faf10468c
  4. Word does not want to save to a symbolic link directory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Word does not want to save to a symbolic link directory: Hi there, I have opened a file from a symbolic link folder (File is located on another computer in a folder that has been linked as a symbolic link on my computer) When I try to do Save As under a different name on the same folder I get "A file error has occurred" error. If...
  5. opening link.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    opening link.: my computer is somehow set to open new window instead opening a new tab. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/opening-link/e72bfcf5-58f9-4ae0-ba42-9e2c89735733
  6. Windows Accessories - Using Xcopy breaks folder symbolic link

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Accessories - Using Xcopy breaks folder symbolic link: Hi Guys I'm using XCOPY to move some icons into the 'Windows Accessories' folder. The 'Windows Accessories' folder true file location is: C:\Users\UserXYZ\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories AND C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start...
  7. attaching links

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    attaching links: I found a great pic I'd like to send to a friend in Google Maps but it has an unbelievably long address which won't copy using control a control c control v. It's also too long to copy by hand any ideas?...
  8. Can I replace an entire drive with a symbolic link?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I replace an entire drive with a symbolic link?: I try to use the same basic structure on all my computers: drive C for Windows, D for games, E for user data, F for bulk storage. On my laptop (which is very much my secondary machine and rarely used) I typically split the single HDD into these four parts, but I figure that's...
  9. junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders

in Windows 10 Support
    junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders: hi my documents folder is on e: as c: is a ssd with limited space. somehow i managed to end up with three 'documents' folders in explorer [actually dopus] of which two contain a few folders and the third one many folders, the latter is my real documents folder. the os will...
  10. Exclude folder form Symbolic link ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Exclude folder form Symbolic link ?: Can I use Xcopy / Robocopy to create not only a symbolic link but exclude a folder from the symbolic link creation ? 80242