Windows 10: Synaptics touchpad reverse scroll reverts on restart

Discus and support Synaptics touchpad reverse scroll reverts on restart in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Does this happen for anyone else? I don't like the two finger reverse scroll that windows 8 and windows 10 uses on default. I prefer that when I swipe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lostatsea, Aug 7, 2015.

1. lostatsea Win User

Synaptics touchpad reverse scroll reverts on restart

Does this happen for anyone else? I don't like the two finger reverse scroll that windows 8 and windows 10 uses on default. I prefer that when I swipe two fingers down the page goes down, not up.

I go to the synaptic settings uncheck reverse scrolling and it works as I desire. But when I restart the computer the synaptic driver reverts back to default. This wasn't a problem with Windows 8 on the same laptop. But on Windows 10 I have to go back into the driver and uncheck it every time I restart windows which is a waste of time and annoying. Am I missing something or is this just a bug?

:)

lostatsea, Aug 7, 2015

2. TOUCHPAD SCROLLING DIRECTION ISSUE in windows 10

hi

I own an hp laptop, about a year old. came with windows 8. it worked fine when I upgraded to 8.1, and 8.1 pro: I could go into the synaptics touchpad settings and enable/disable "reverse scrolling direction" to control the direction of 2-finger scrolling
    on the touchpad. as of updating to win 10 pro, the setting can be set in the same way, however after a restart of the computer, it will revert to the default settings. haven't been able to find a solution. would appreciate any help on this!

thanks

tony alimeida, Aug 7, 2015
  3. usermcw Win User
    Microsoft installed new Synaptics touchpad support as part of update with no warning, messed up settings

Microsoft installed new Synaptics touchpad support as part of update with no warning. Settings I had put it were lost. Two-finger scrolling was reversed. There used to be a setting to stop the reversing, but that doesn't seem to be there anymore (this
    is a Synaptics problem). Now touchpad two-finger scrolling is the opposite of the scroll bars on windows. (One-finger scrolling on the touchpad is still the same as it was, consistent with scroll bars on the windows.)

It seems like Microsoft should give users some indication of new third party software availability instead of just installing it with no warning.

Maybe it was needed to work with Microsoft updates, but still seems like users should have some warning and choices.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

usermcw, Aug 7, 2015
  4. mrgeek Win User

I'm having the same problem. I customize the settings and save to my Profile and enable icon to system tray for easy loading. Every time I restart, the default is loaded and the icon is gone so I have to go to settings and re-enable icon and load my profile and settings. Hopefully Synaptics will issue a fix in near future and Windows Update will pull it from Web.

mrgeek, Aug 7, 2015
  5. I'll chime in to add that I am also having this problem. HP Folio13 is running v19.0.12.95.
    Hoping that Synaptics releases a new driver shortly.

njblackberry, Aug 8, 2015
  6. Simple Win User
    Windows 10 Auto Updates installs Synaptics driver Version 19.0.12.95, that keeps defaulting some settings.

Download and install the Synaptics driver "Version: 19.0.12.95 Rev: A Pass: 14" released by HP below, it works...

19.0.12.95 Rev: A Pass: 14
    L: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72001-72500/sp72120.exe

After installing the driver, do not let Windows update it again, it will reinstall its own which keeps loosing settings. You could do that manually or through configuring policies as below:

Run "gpedit.msc" --> Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> System --> Device Installation --> Device Installation Restrictions --> (Double Click) Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs or Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings --> Select "Enabled" and perform the necessary changes.
    Detailed procedure:
    Step-By-Step Guide to Controlling Device Installation Using Group Policy
    p.s. To allow Windows to install/update drivers for this device again, perform the above and set it back to "Not Configured".

Please confirm if it works for you or not, so that other forum users may benefit.

Simple, Aug 8, 2015
  7. mrgeek Win User
    FIXED ! Went to HP and downloaded latest version specific to my model (sp71867 not sp72120), ran it. Same symptoms as in post 2. Went to device manager, R click Synaptics, hit 'update driver', let me choose. Seems Windows Update was installing Synaptic Port Touchpad which enables setting up profiles and 3 finger press to open Cortana and overrides HP software at startup. Chose Synaptics Port Compatible Touchpad. After install, back to familiar windows with videos (instead of 'x') where I could configure 3 finger press, too, to open firefox instead of IE. Even had scroll direction in same direction as finger motion so no need to un-check reverse scrolling. See screens below

Synaptics touchpad reverse scroll reverts on restart [​IMG]

selected driver will install and prompt reboot. System Tray icon loads, unlike before, offering easy access to settings until I'm happy and also fixed problem of no icon description when mouse hovered over any icon (like Vol). Ran Windows Update. NO device drive updates found, no reg or gp edit need. DONE !

mrgeek, Aug 8, 2015
  8. Synaptics touchpad reverse scroll reverts on restart

Thanks all - Simple, I installed SP72120 and that kept all the settings. Tweak automatic updating and hope it sticks. At least there is a fix.

Thanks again.

njblackberry, Aug 8, 2015
  9. Simple Win User
    You could also try this one, it has Inertia/Momentum as well as a number of other nice features and it works with Windows 10.
    VERSION: 18.1.42.2 REV: A PASS: 1
    L: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70001-70500/sp70197.exe

Simple, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Synaptics touchpad reverse scroll reverts on restart - Similar Threads - Synaptics touchpad reverse

2. Lenovo Touchpad Reverse Scrolling

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lenovo Touchpad Reverse Scrolling: So I posted here a while ago about a problem I had with changing my laptop's scrolling direction. It was stuck on natural Australian scrolling and there was no setting to change it back. This is that post -...
  3. Touchpad keeps reverting to Synaptics from Precision?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Touchpad keeps reverting to Synaptics from Precision?: Hi guys, I have a 2017 HP Spectre x360 that originally came with Synaptics. I updated it to Precision and it has caused issues in the past, but usually was something I could resolve through Reddit. I used this guide previously to address any issues I had...
  4. need to reverse scroll direction on touchpad

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    need to reverse scroll direction on touchpad: My touchpad direction (scrolling with fingers) changes everytime there is an update. It drives me crazy. I cannot find a way to reverse it this time. Why does this happen?...
  5. Synaptics Touchpad Reverse Scroll

Synaptics Touchpad Reverse Scroll: Hi, After the recent update my Synaptics Touchpad on my HP Laptop has reverted back to factory setting scroll. I changed the settings to enable the two finger scroll to reverse and now I cannot change the settings to my choice. There is nowhere in settings to enable me to do...
  6. Reversing Scroll on TouchPad

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reversing Scroll on TouchPad: After the latest Windows update my touchpad has been stuck in reverse scroll. I would like to disable the reverse scroll, but am unable to. Going through windows settings does not even give me the option to disable/enable the reverse scroll on my touchpad. So far the only...
  7. Reversing the scrolling on the touchpad

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reversing the scrolling on the touchpad: How do I reverse the scrolling on the touchpad on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reversing-the-scrolling-on-the-touchpad/5ab677a5-c781-4629-a9a9-054e95588f94"
  8. Reversed/Inverted touchpad scrolling

Reversed/Inverted touchpad scrolling: Hello, I just updated my win7 to win10, despite several negligible issues, so far I'm rather content about it. HOWEVER there is one little, yet major problem I encounter and have no idea how to deal with; mentioned in the thread title. I browsed several options, lurked...
  9. Touchpad scroll not working, No virtual scrolling option in synaptics!

Touchpad scroll not working, No virtual scrolling option in synaptics!: My laptop touchpad scrolling stopped working this morning after I updated my gpu driver. I went to the packard bell website and looked at the touchpad drivers for my laptop. There is a synaptics one and a elan one. [img] I have them both installed on my laptop but it...
  10. Synaptics Touchpad Will Not Scroll (Windows 10)

Synaptics Touchpad Will Not Scroll (Windows 10): Hi! New to the forum...I just upgraded my windows 7 original install on my Toshiba Laptop (3 years old) to the Windows 10 Home Preview Build (10130 was installed). Everything appears to be working EXCEPT my touchpad will not scroll. It is a Synaptics V7.5 on PS-2 port. I...