Windows 10: Sync settings annoyance! What are the sync'd settings?

Discus and support Sync settings annoyance! What are the sync'd settings? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; In another post today in another area, I've mentioned that I've re-installed Windows 10 on my desktop PC. I would log in to that installation with the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by alexncfc, Nov 5, 2017.

1. alexncfc Win User

Sync settings annoyance! What are the sync'd settings?

In another post today in another area, I've mentioned that I've re-installed Windows 10 on my desktop PC. I would log in to that installation with the same Microsoft Account as I would my laptop (which I am using now)

I have always turned off the following settings on my Windows installations as I don't want my themes or "Other Windows settings" sync'd:

Sync settings annoyance! What are the sync'd settings? [​IMG]

And today I've noticed on my laptop when browsing through File Explorer that all my Folder Options that I've set previously (such as show hidden files, and hide file extensions for known file types etc) have all been reset to their defaults! I had a hunch that Windows had sync'd the settings from the new install on my desktop PC to the working installation I have on my laptop - and I looked in Windows settings and sure enough, the "Theme" and "Other Windows Settings" toggles had been switched to the on position *Mad why on earth would it change these to "on" on my laptop when I had specifically set them to not be sync'd?

Now the next bit is the fun part: what do the "Other Windows Settings" entail? I have had my laptop installation of Windows 10 for the past year and have fine-tuned it to my liking, and I am sure it's probably not just limited to the Folder Options dialog. I hope it has not changed my Power Management settings also!

This setting makes me so angry because it has happened even when the toggles were specifically set to off and now I've got to hunt around looking to see what it has actually changed!

As another note, how can I make sure that my new installation of Windows 10 on the desktop doesn't try and sync settings? Annoyingly this seems to be enabled by default.

Thanks for any advice.

:)

alexncfc, Nov 5, 2017
  2. WhyJoe Win User

Music + Video Hub HQ ARTIST Art missing

Thanks for the info. In my particular case, the behavior is different. Even with WiFi connectivity, I get a different, smaller, up-scaled image in many cases--even after having gone to the Store and played a song from another album.

As I said, when I do that, the high-qual artist image shows up, but reverts immediately when I go back to playing the song that's been sync'd from my PC. All of the songs appear to be properly categorized under the same artist name, so it's not a case of
    my syn'd songs having strange artist metadata. This is the same music that worked properly in WP7.5.

Perhaps I'll try blowing away all the sync'd music and drag one artist over at a time, and try to track down the source of the issue. It's a minor annoyance--one of many bigger annoyances in WP8 sync.

WhyJoe, Nov 5, 2017
  3. What are the Server and Domain settings to sync outlook calendar with gmail

I'll look at this another time - I've literally run out of free hours (hours and hours and hours....) in order to take another look at this. I just can't face another bout of following instructions.

I agree Kosh, there must be something. But surely to God, in the umpteen hours of live chat support that I've had, someone should have managed to find out what that something is....

I will feedback on this when I've had chance to have another look. Thank you.

Please understand that I'm not having a go at you personally because I appreciate your help. I'm just totally and utterly frustrated that what should be such a simple easy thing, can be (for SO MANY people, not just me!) a total nightmare.

Halesowenmum---01, Nov 5, 2017
  4. Sync settings annoyance! What are the sync'd settings?

You could try those settings:
    Code: reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync\Groups\DesktopTheme" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync\Groups\Personalization" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync\Groups\Windows" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync" /v "DisableDesktopThemeSettingSync" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync" /v "DisableDesktopThemeSettingSyncUserOverride" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync" /v "DisablePersonalizationSettingSync" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync" /v "DisablePersonalizationSettingSyncUserOverride" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync" /v "DisableWindowsSettingSync" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync" /v "DisableWindowsSettingSyncUserOverride" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Nov 7, 2017
  5. alexncfc Win User
    Thanks for the reply, @TairikuOkami, I was literally about to bump this thread with another question this morning as I want to get some answers on this for whenever I do a clean install. I find the sync settings useful for some things, but I don't want mouse pointer speed, folder options settings, power profile settings etc being transferred across.

Which leads me onto another question about this I was going to ask - in which 'direction' does sync settings work?? I ask this because surely if my laptop settings are in the cloud, shouldn't a clean install of Windows 10 on another PC grab the settings that my laptop uses, rather than what's happened here: that my laptop has synced to the settings of the clean installation on my PC. It just makes no sense to me, it isn't logical that my laptop would then want to override all the settings I've set up over the past year with the defaults from a clean installation.

What do those commands do above and is it possible for me to run them before I set up Windows with my MS account?

Thanks!

alexncfc, Nov 7, 2017
  6. They should disable syncing themes, personalization and windows settings.
    You can use a local account, apply settings, restart, then switch to MS account.

TairikuOkami, Nov 7, 2017
  7. alexncfc Win User
    Thanks, that worked a treat. I now had those items greyed out and non-changeable in the "Sync your settings" screen before even setting up my MS account, so hopefully the theme and Windows settings syncing won't be any bother.

The only problem I now have is knowing where to look on my laptop to see which settings were changed by syncing to the system defaults that were synced across from my clean install on the Windows desktop. I've changed my Folder Options back but I am unsure what other settings it may have carried across.

alexncfc, Nov 9, 2017
  8. Plankton Win User

I look at it like this.....you have 2 devices....say a laptop and a desktop owned by 2 different people. Each use their own identity to sign in to their MS account. So far so good....no cross contamination (Syncing) as it should be. So for me with my laptop and desktop I use 2 different MS accounts and that's how I like to use my devices as if they were 2 different owners.

Now, for those that have multiple devices (desktop, laptop, windows tablet/phone) that multitask on a 24/7 basis....say some type of professional business person that are always on the go. Then that sync feature applies to them.

Plankton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Sync settings annoyance! What are the sync'd settings? - Similar Threads - Sync settings annoyance

2. Syncing Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Syncing Settings: Hi All, Is it possible to transfer settings across accounts on the same PC? This is a family account that is corrupted and I kind of wanted to switch to a local account to get rid of the problem...
  3. Syncing Settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Syncing Settings: Hi All, Is it possible to transfer settings across accounts in the same PC? THis is a family account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/syncing-settings/1b84cf76-8d89-400f-8a4a-8914db6aeea7
  4. Syncing settings

Syncing settings: I got a new laptop for work and in setting it up synced the settings from my personal microsoft account I use on my PC at home. Instead of taking all my personal PC settings to the laptop it took the laptop settings to my PC. How do I undo and reverse this? Thank...
  5. Sync Settings

Sync Settings: Hi everyone, I have questions about what kind of app data is synchronized with the Sync Settings function in my windows PC. Does Sync Settings send app data from the hidden AppData folder in my PC (Local, Local low, and Roaming folders) to OneDrive? Does it send settings...
  6. sync settings

sync settings: I am running windows 10 and i am supposedly the administrator of this pc when i go to settings and my sync options i get a message that i can not change these settings because they are hidden or managed by my organization what is this...
  7. Sync Settings

Sync Settings: What does this mean when I am wanting to Sync my settings "Some settings are hidden or managed by your organisation"?? How do I get rid of this?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sync-settings/ec8a40c1-2ef7-4dce-a71f-fc49733aaf22
  8. settings sync

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    settings sync: ok so my sync windows settings in on in win 10 and I have signed into Microsoft account in windows. if I reinstall windows how do I restore all my settings...
  9. Annoying Settings sidebar

Annoying Settings sidebar: I have Windows 10. Suddenly a sidebar appeared with all the settings. The regular settings screen is still there. The sidebar is very annoying. How do I get rid of it?...
  10. Sync settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sync settings: Hello Guys, Could anyone tell me how often windows 10 syncs setting to OneDrive, to get to it I logged into my Microsoft account/OneDrive/Settings (gear wheel top right of IE window) then device backup's in left menu. I have just installed Windows 10 and noticed that...