Windows 10: Synology 416j with independant disks

Discus and support Synology 416j with independant disks in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I want to use some spare HDD as a networked backup. I alread have a NAS in a raid but want this new one to just have independent disks in it. ie... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Anthraquinone, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Synology 416j with independant disks

I want to use some spare HDD as a networked backup. I alread have a NAS in a raid but want this new one to just have independent disks in it. ie windows file explorer will show disk L, M, N, O for example, no RAID and not JBOD.

I have tried a cheaper Startech 2 disk unit before but it failed after a few months. Now I would perfer to spen a bit more on a reilable unit. I do not plan to have it permantly switched on just for offline storage.

Has anyone any experiance of setting a Synology 416j in this way.

:)

Anthraquinone, Jul 20, 2017

2. Window 10 Backup Error - Specified backup disk cannot be found 0x80780081

Window 10 Backup Error - Specified backup disk cannot be found 0x80780081

Windows 10 Professional Creator Version 1703 OS Build 15063.138

Network: GigE Ethernet, L:
    \\SynologyDiskStation\DiskShare

Backup Device: Synology Disk Station

Backup Software: Windows 10 native backup program

I alternate using either a USB Drive or UNC path to backup to Synology Disk Station. I have been using this process for years. USB backups work great. The UNC backup to Synology worked great until I upgraded to Window 10 Creator update two weeks ago.

I can Read, write and delete files on the Synology drive using the UNC path or drive mapping.

There are no existing backups that the software is trying to overwrite.

I believe this has something to do with the Windows 10 Creator Update.

Synology 416j with independant disks [​IMG]

Bryan4264410, Jul 20, 2017
  3. BjørnBr Win User
    KB 3189866

PaulSey

My mapped network drives all reside on a Synology Disk Station. When I changed the Samba setting on this device from the old ver. SMB 1 to ver. SMB 2, there were no more problems, and everything is fine since then. (But even the support on the Synology site
    did not mention this option... so I was totally in the hands of other good people helping out.)

BjørnBr, Jul 20, 2017
Thema:

Synology 416j with independant disks

1. Synology 416j with independant disks - Similar Threads - Synology 416j independant

2. Independent advisories

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Independent advisories: This is to Advisories of Microsoft team or whatever yall are. I hope you all are not getting paid. Yall knowledge of microsoft windows is like mines. Microsoft needs to get rid of yall cause yall suck. I think yall do the same thing as us go look on youtube or the web to see...
  3. Independent advisories

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Independent advisories: This is to Advisories of Microsoft team or whatever yall are. I hope you all are not getting paid. Yall knowledge of microsoft windows is like mines. Microsoft needs to get rid of yall cause yall suck. I think yall do the same thing as us go look on youtube or the web to see...
  4. Independent advisories

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Independent Monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Independent Monitors: I have two monitors set up and working. My issue is that the monitors show the same desktop, albeit spread across both screens. My objective is to have a separate desktop on each monitor that work independently of each other. How do I achieve this in Windows 10?...
  6. Independent Monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Independent Monitors: I have two monitors set up and working. My issue is that the monitors show the same desktop, albeit spread across both screens. My objective is to have a separate desktop on each monitor that work independently of each other. How do I achieve this in Windows 10?...
  7. Synology sign in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Synology sign in: I have a new windows 10 HP laptop v1903. Clicking on this PC shows connected devices. My problem is that clicking on DS.213j opens the Synology hard drive without a password being needed. I usually open the Synology in my main PC by searching under "Internet" where it can...
  8. WIN10 / SYnology NAS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIN10 / SYnology NAS: Howdy, A couple months ago I had an update and suddenly every time the PC goes to "sleep" I lose connection to My NAS. The odd thing is I can see the folders even though the show as a mapped drive they show an with an X. Once I try to access a file it says it can't find...
  9. Synology OpenVPN Performance

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Synology OpenVPN Performance: I currently have an OpenVPN setup with a pfSense box. I'm thinking of ditching it and setting up OpenVPN on a Synology RS1219+ (need to upgrade current NAS for my wife's photography business). Does anyone know what kind of throughput one might get with the RS1219+? It has a...
  10. Independent Confusion

in Windows 10 Support
    Independent Confusion: The Independent ran a news item this morning on the pricing of W10. The following got my attention.... ..... .Normal Windows 7 and Windows 8 and 8.1 users will receive free upgrades to the new operating system. And all Enterprise users and business will have to pay for...