Windows 10: Sysprep Windows 10 Start Menu search is blank

Discus and support Sysprep Windows 10 Start Menu search is blank in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I was following the Tenforums.com Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep guide, which I found to be an amazing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SeattleITguy, May 18, 2016.

1. Sysprep Windows 10 Start Menu search is blank

Hello everyone,

I was following the Tenforums.com Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep guide, which I found to be an amazing guide.

My goal is to have a Windows 10 Pro x64 sysprep image from the Hyper-V VM, exactly as in the guide.

Anyways I had everything going smooth - I was about to Generalize the image and realized the Start Menu stopped returning results, instead just showing a blank search.

After some frustration and reluctance I went back to the checkpoint at the very beginning (as indicated in the guide). The Start Menu still showed up blank.

Reinstalled the VM in Hyper-V using different names and different VHD files but all resulted in the same error.

Created the VM in VMware Workstation 12 and and started the Sysprep process with Windows 10 in VMware. The Start Menu is still blank.

Uninstalled Hyper-V and reinstalled Hyper-V but that didn't help.

I've done the basic troubleshooting steps too:

• Reboot system (Host and Guest systems multiple times)
    • Verified service Windows Search is running (I restarted the service as well)
    • Rebuilt Index
    • Restarted Cortana and Windows Explorer
    • Re-registered Cortana

I've tried Googling my heart out to no avail. Couldn't even find an image with a similar problem. I've attached a snippet of the issue below.

Note: This is only in Audit Mode. When I let the Windows install complete, the Start Menu works again. I'll try completing the imaging process and load the Sysprep image and see if the Start Menu functionality comes back unless someone has a better idea or similar experience?

Sysprep Windows 10 Start Menu search is blank [​IMG]

:)

SeattleITguy, May 18, 2016
  2. Susan Bradley - volunteer here not a MS employee, May 18, 2016
  3. The search feature in cortana is not working after resetting Windows 10.

After resetting windows 10, Windows 10 search has stopped working. I tried stopping and starting cortana and windows explorer. I also tried to stopping and starting windows search from services.msc. Even Search and index troubleshooting is no help. The search
    always shows a blank window. Even web search results wont appear. Also after reset win32 applications dont show up in the start menu. Installed programs and present in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. All UWP applications except mail
    and edge dont work. Splash screen shows and it closes the app.

(Previous subject:Windows 10 start menu problems after resetting)

***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***

Adityads93, May 18, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Sysprep Windows 10 Start Menu search is blank

If this happens in Audit Mode, being signed in with the built-in admin account before any actual user accounts have been created, you can try this workaround (quote from another thread):

When in Audit Mode and you reboot, Windows automatically returns to Audit Mode. You can now test if Search works, and if yes, run sysprep.

Thema:

Sysprep Windows 10 Start Menu search is blank

1. Sysprep Windows 10 Start Menu search is blank - Similar Threads - Sysprep Start Menu

2. START MENU BLANK

in Windows 10 Gaming
    START MENU BLANK: After a recent update, I don't know when my pinned shortcuts are missing from my start menu it's all empty !!!!!!!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-blank/1e2b2b2c-4b3c-41b3-8735-c55e5419427a
  3. START MENU BLANK

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    START MENU BLANK: After a recent update, I don't know when my pinned shortcuts are missing from my start menu it's all empty !!!!!!!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-blank/1e2b2b2c-4b3c-41b3-8735-c55e5419427a
  4. Most applications in the start menu and "search menu" have a blank icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Most applications in the start menu and "search menu" have a blank icon: I had to reinstall windows a month ago, and since most icons in my start menu and when searching an app by name, the shortcut is just blank i already tried to delete the icon caches, replace the icon in the shortcut, reboot my pc ect ect.I don't understand why it's doing...
  5. Most applications in the start menu and "search menu" have a blank icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Most applications in the start menu and "search menu" have a blank icon: I had to reinstall windows a month ago, and since most icons in my start menu and when searching an app by name, the shortcut is just blank i already tried to delete the icon caches, replace the icon in the shortcut, reboot my pc ect ect.I don't understand why it's doing...
  6. Most applications in the start menu and "search menu" have a blank icon

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. My office icons in Start Menu search are blank

in Windows 10 Customization
    My office icons in Start Menu search are blank: I recently had to rebuild my windows profile and I repair Microsoft 365 Apps for Enterprise Office 365 and then uninstalled and reinstalled it. When I look at my start menu, everything looks fine: [ATTACH] But when I search the start menu, the Office icons are blank...
  8. Windows Start Menu Search bar blank and inaccessible?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Start Menu Search bar blank and inaccessible?: A lot of times when I invoke the start menu(by hitting the windows key on the keyboard) and I want to type something to search I find this issue and I need to close the menu and open it again, How can I fix this? windows version 1903, the build 18362.476 [img] 144722
  9. Strange white Blank Search result (start menu)

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange white Blank Search result (start menu): Strange white Blank Search result (start menu) Hi all, when i push the win button and type to search for an app or anything i get this result. i have restarted explorer.exe and completed these steps here: Cortana not finding Desktop apps when searching for them -...
  10. Windows 10 Blank Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Blank Start Menu: First things first... i7 7700, 2x GTX1080 w/SLI. 1TB SSD, z270 MSI Gaming Pro, 32GB RAM Samsung 31.5" 4k curved monitor. I've had this problem several times where the Strat menu goes blank and I hadnt had an action that coincided with this until now. It seems that alt_tab...