Windows 10: System and compressed memory slowing down disk operation

Discus and support System and compressed memory slowing down disk operation in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have win 10 64-bit home on a 4th gen core -i5 laptop. I have a WDC 1T 2.5" USB3 drive. It is about half full. It used to do 60-70MB/s write speed.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by asusx205ta, Feb 23, 2016.

1. System and compressed memory slowing down disk operation

I have win 10 64-bit home on a 4th gen core -i5 laptop. I have a WDC 1T 2.5" USB3 drive. It is about half full. It used to do 60-70MB/s write speed. Since a few days ago, I noticed it has slowed down by a factor of 5-6 to 10-20MB/s. While copying large files, I watched what's going go. The System and compressed memory process was doing a lot of read and write on the disk. If the copy speed reported by the dialog is say 15MB/s, then system compressed memory process is reading 15MB/s and writing 30MB/s. It looks like this process is reading back the content written and writes back. It is consistent over reboot with several large files from 200MB to 7GB in size. A couple of weeks ago I did a file backup. I created a 5GB virtual drive on my SSD and dumped all files to be backed up. Took only 5 minutes to copy the 5GB files to the virtual drive and copy the file to the WDC disk, at around 67MB/s, typical of this type of portable drives. While I was wondering what was going on, I tested the same files with a USB3 dock and a 2TB Seagate drive. Write speed is about 150MB/s. So I thought it was not a problem with all disks. The WDC drive has no compress to save space option, BTW. I wonder what's going on. I have AVG antivirus and I turned it off while copying and same slow 15MB/s speed.

:)

asusx205ta, Feb 23, 2016

2. Can I end my system and compressed memory NT Kernel & System

System and Compressed memory occupies a big portion of my ram. This is slowing my system down and decreases performance. Is it ok to end this task to free up the memory it is taking? Thank you for your time.

DaniëlSalarie, Feb 23, 2016
  3. SueDeyLoh Win User
    System and Compressed Memory

In Windows 10, "System and Compressed Memory" is holding a compressed copy of other process' memory as one last stage before it is paged out to the disk. It's a new extra layer of caching. If another process is using tons of memory -- as Warcraft was
    in your case -- this process is going to be holding some memory on that process' behalf. Closing the process will cause "System and Compressed Memory" to go back down.

SueDeyLoh, Feb 23, 2016
  4. System and compressed memory slowing down disk operation

asusx205ta, Feb 23, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Thanks, useful. Note that System and compressed memory problems are only very occasionally reported here, and there seem different possible triggers. However, could be useful for a couple of people currently reporting such high disk use they don't know what process is related.

dalchina, Feb 24, 2016
  6. Worked for me also thank you.

TriniRouge, May 23, 2016
  7. finlay Win User
    Oh, that makes sense! I've just turned off lots of notifications I don't need/use. I haven't tested the difference yet but I'm confident this will make a big difference.

Thanks *Smile

finlay, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

System and compressed memory slowing down disk operation

1. System and compressed memory slowing down disk operation - Similar Threads - System compressed memory

2. memory compression

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    memory compression: memory compression1memory compression2 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E8%83%BD%E5%90%A6%E4%BB%8B%E7%BB%8D%E4%B8%80/00b611dd-4262-41f5-b82e-1daaf905ddbc
  3. Learn about disk compression and how it can slow down your system!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Learn about disk compression and how it can slow down your system!: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/kipinsider [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k8ze2f/learn_about_disk_compression_and_how_it_can_slow/
  4. windows 10 suddenly slow because of "system and compressed memory" process

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 suddenly slow because of "system and compressed memory" process: Im using 1511 and It was totally great since the installation (about 1 month) but today this process called "system and compressed memory" started eating all of my disk, sometimes all of the RAM and the usage stays 90%+ and freezes randomly. This hasn't happened ever before....
  5. System and compressed memory

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System and compressed memory: System and compressed memory is not showing in task manager, is it because I have enough RAM? Thanks. 62163
  6. System and compressed memory high disk usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System and compressed memory high disk usage: Hi everyone. I am currently having issues trying to diagnose the system and compressed memory bug that causes slow disk operations. I am running a computer that I have built myself. i5 6600k, 16 GB of RAM, 2 SSD and 1 HDD. The slow operations only happen on the HDD. I can...
  7. System and Compressed Memory (High memory usage)

System and Compressed Memory (High memory usage): Hello there, I am here today as I have had a problem with System and Compressed Memory since I installed Windows 10 back in December of 2015. Now keep in mind, this isn't a normal issue, as I have yet to actually find anything in regards to what to do to fix this. (I have...
  8. System and Compressed Memory

System and Compressed Memory: Is there any way to stop the "system and compressed memory" from happening? I am so annoyed by it's constant 90% Memory usage! I used to have only 8 GB of RAM and it would use 7GB out of the whole 8GB. I recently upgraded to 16GB and everything was fine. System and Compressed...
  9. Poor system performance with memory compression

Poor system performance with memory compression: So, I'm having a hard time being convinced that memory compression (aka. Superfetch) is designed to improve system performance, because ever since I upgraded to windows 10, it's been doing the exact opposite. Now, I'm one of those guys who likes to leave their system on...
  10. What is System and compressed memory ?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is System and compressed memory ?: Why it's taking 380MB of my memory ? Does it important or there is a way to disable it ? 44359