Windows 10: System Disk Image/Clone

Discus and support System Disk Image/Clone in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi there First - CLONING means exactly that - HDD is copied sector by sector to an IDENTICAL sized partition on a new HDD. The new HDD can be larger... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by WightWalker, Feb 3, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

System Disk Image/Clone

Hi there

First - CLONING means exactly that - HDD is copied sector by sector to an IDENTICAL sized partition on a new HDD. The new HDD can be larger than the old one but the rest of the space will be "Unallocated". Otherwise everything (including errors, spaces, lost / broken chains etc) will be copied.

second - Imaging creates a dataset of your HDD which can be used to recover your HDD or move the OS to another HDD (can be smaller too if the image fits on it). You then need to use a RESTORE program to recover the HDD. Imaging can sometimes during its processing re-arrange files etc acting as an invisible software defrag - can be good when imaging SSD's as you should NEVER defrag those. (Another topic though). so imaging and restoring is a TWO stage process. Cloning copies directly so the HDD can be used immediately.

If you have a partition editor - after CLONING an HDD set the original one to HIDDEN if you want to keep it on the system. Use the BIOS to boot whichever HDD you want to boot. Note also you CAN change the HDD's GUI (GPT) but if you have any Linux stuff on the HDD as well you'll need to re-install the GRUB2 boot loader.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 4, 2015

2. I mentioned this setup a few times because I wish I thought of it myself. *Smile A guy on another forum has a custom built with quick release HD racks/rails whatever is the proper term. Periodically, as in every few days, he creates a Macrium image of the main HD in the machine and restores it to an identical bare HD in a USB docking station.

This backup is kept in a drawer. If he gets a HD fail he powers down, pulls the drive, inserts the one from the drawer and boots. A matter of a few minutes. All he has lost is modifications since the last image was restored to the bare drive. Pretty neat. *Smile

MilesAhead, Feb 4, 2015
  3. badrobot Win User
    That is exactly what I do. I have a 2 removable SSD and 1 HDD trays outside the CPU case. I just insert clones and images and restore my system in less than 15mins.

System Disk Image/Clone [​IMG]

badrobot, Feb 4, 2015
  4. meebers Win User

System Disk Image/Clone

I do the same, I have one HD slide in rack. Additional backup drives are used there because they seem to have a higher transfer rate than an external usb connection to a HD. I have a Linux drive in a cassette? that I can slide in there when I want to play with Linux. I just never did duel boot or VM yet, working that way though System Disk Image/Clone :) 2 SSD C:, D: and M: spinner.

meebers, Feb 4, 2015
  5. @meebers and @badrobot awesome setups. I can't wait to get a workbench and desktops again to do it right.

MilesAhead, Feb 4, 2015
  6. caperjack Win User
    But then surely this wouldn't be a cloned copy of the OS, unless the key is changed at a subsequent stage.

As I only want to run one OS at a time, then there's no problem in using the same key, thanks for the correction ,I guess my thought process and knowledge is way off .lol

caperjack, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

System Disk Image/Clone

1. System Disk Image/Clone - Similar Threads - System Disk Image

2. Cloning or imaging the system?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning or imaging the system?: Helo guys, I hope you can help. I have laptop A (with broken screen and win 10 installed) and want to transfer everything on Laptop B. They are not the same configuration (Hp & Dell). Obviously I can boot and use Laptop A with external monitor to make image file. I would like...
  3. Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?: I have this particular problem trying to clone/move my Windows to another, bigger hard drive.The problem is that when trying to restore saved image backup to the new drive there is such message:Interestingly, if I first install new Windows on that drive, then create image and...
  4. Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?: I have this particular problem trying to clone/move my Windows to another, bigger hard drive.The problem is that when trying to restore saved image backup to the new drive there is such message:Interestingly, if I first install new Windows on that drive, then create image and...
  5. Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Non system disk in system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Non system disk in system image: I trying to create system image in Windows 10. Chose where I want to save the backup, after that system shows to me what drives will be backed up: EFI System Partition Game_Storage E: System Recovery Partition System C: System Problem is that Game_Storage E: is not...
  7. Disk Image/Clone

Disk Image/Clone: Hello, I am looking for an easy to use disk image / Clone software. I deploy about 2-3 systems per week, all which have the same configuration. FileMaker, HyperTerminal, MS Office, printer drivers and a few other apps. Does anyone have any recommendations for a software...
  8. New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices

New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices: A generic question so I don't think I need to provide any specific info. My computers are Windows 10 64-bit. Having trouble recently with some of my computers, and usually people/diagnosis software point out the culprit is the failing hard drives. Whether they're right or...
  9. New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices

New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices: A generic question so I don't think I need to provide any specific info. My computers are Windows 10 64-bit. Having trouble recently with some of my computers, and usually people/diagnosis software point out the culprit is the failing hard drives. Whether they're right or...
  10. Backwards cloning of system disk?

Backwards cloning of system disk?: Hello All, I installed an SSD on my wife's laptop and did a clean install of Windows 10 ver. 1809 on the SSD. I see now that free software exists to clone an HDD to an SSD (MiniTool Partition Wizard Free). HP has made it rough to get to the hard drive and I do not fancy...