Windows 10: system disk root folder all access denied

Discus and support system disk root folder all access denied in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So having been bit by the "upgrade fails" bug because \users is a junction point to the root of a different drive [I used U:\], I decided to try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Greywolf, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Greywolf Win User

system disk root folder all access denied

So having been bit by the "upgrade fails" bug because \users is a junction point to the root of a different drive [I used U:\], I decided to try to move users back to C:\Users until after the upgrade and I'd then move it back.

Don't ask. I do it because if I have to reformat C:, I don't want to take \users with it in case of catastrophe.

Like now.

My C: drive (maps to G: in the system recovery environment) will let me:
    chkdsk/f
    mkdir
    rmdir
    list any KNOWN directory under the root, i.e. if I know exactly what directory it is, I can list its contents and access it but I cannot CD there.

It will not let me:
    drive-cd to anything on it if I switch to a different drive in cmd or powershell
    icacls
    takeown
    attrib
    dir
    system restore

NOTHING. Not even in system recovery. All I get is "Access is denied". Weirdly enough, as mentioned, if I know where things are UNDER C:\, their permissions have not been munged, so everything there is fine. I just can't get to C:\ in the canonical way.

In the UI, when I try to even access security information, it tells me that I don't have permission. Attempting to use the advanced mode just hangs that window for about five minutes before telling me it can't get access to the drive. It also provides me no disk space information on this drive in the UI.

I would really rather not have to reinstall windows, as I don't have a system backup from which to recover at this point; I fear if I take one now, it will just reinstate the same problem on a restore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Greywolf, Jun 9, 2016

2. All folders/files report Access Denied after upgrading to Windows 10

Upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10, but no folder/files restored from Win 8.1

Used Microsoft tool to automatically re-store Win 8.1 files/folders to Win 10.

All folders/files report Access Denied. CMD Prompt -Adminstator inaccessible as is root drive C:\

Help!

TIA

Original Title: Access Denied

stuart18020, Jun 9, 2016
  3. Updating to Win 10 has locked me out of my Harddrive

It shows as Access Denied in File Explorer, as if the Whole Drive's root folder is locked

ConfusedGamer, Jun 9, 2016
Thema:

system disk root folder all access denied

1. system disk root folder all access denied - Similar Threads - system disk root

2. Denied Folder Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Denied Folder Access: I am the sole administrator on my computer and there are also no other users, and when I click "security tab", it won't let me configure user access. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/denied-folder-access/e4b38c4a-8106-4783-96d4-8c2c6a35f528
  3. Denied Folder Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Denied Folder Access: I am the sole administrator on my computer and there are also no other users, and when I click "security tab", it won't let me configure user access. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/denied-folder-access/e4b38c4a-8106-4783-96d4-8c2c6a35f528
  4. My disk C all access are denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My disk C all access are denied: disk C all access are denied and now I can't access to any setting and applicatios. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-disk-c-all-access-are-denied/ca954ee7-4ac4-4d0b-8f29-c92ac96b44ee
  5. Folder Access Denied

Folder Access Denied: When I try to delete an old windows 10 download it keeps saying "You require permission from DESKTOP-Name\my name to make changes to this folder. I already have take ownership of everything in it. But I still can't delete anything. [IMG]...
  6. Folder Access Denied

Folder Access Denied: I have a folder under Users/<Me>/Pictures that I need to rename but am unable to. I get the following error: [ATTACH] NOTE: I am this user and also "own" the folder: [ATTACH] How do I resolve this? Any ideas?...
  7. Folder Access Denied

Folder Access Denied: Hi, I keep receiving a pop-up box that tells me I need permission to perform this action. Why am I getting this when I am signed in as administrator? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-access-denied/c4b15789-9e65-47ab-afe0-04de0692824a
  8. Access denied to disk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access denied to disk: I right click on run. Type in cmd. When the box comes up I type chkdsk and I receive a message that says "Access denied as you do not have suffient privileges or the disk may be locked another process. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode and make sure...
  9. folder access denied

folder access denied: Quand j'essaie d'ouvrir certains dossiers il m'est impossible d’accéder car je reçois le message "Vous ne disposez pas des autorisations requises pour accéder a ce dossier"...
  10. Access denied to system disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Access denied to system disk: Hello! I have a trouble. I've denied access to system disk for all users and even administrator in properties. And now i can't see owner, i can't allow access back. I've tried all things, and troubleshooting(Safe mode with Command Prompt). Even if I administrator can't...