Windows 10: System Drive Going Down. How To Replace?

Discus and support System Drive Going Down. How To Replace? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have had a lot of trouble with my system drive and I think it is about time to replace it with a new physical unit. Can I just put a new hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by abrogard, Sep 26, 2017.

1. abrogard Win User

System Drive Going Down. How To Replace?

I have had a lot of trouble with my system drive and I think it is about time to replace it with a new physical unit.

Can I just put a new hard drive in the machine in its place, install a new instance of win10 and enter my same serial number?

:)

abrogard, Sep 26, 2017

2. Extremely long boot time after 9/15/2016 update

Read some other posts about USB causing a hangup. Powered down, removed my two external USB drives, restarted and system boots normally now so problem is with the USB drives. All systems go....!

NealCassady, Sep 26, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    System doesn't fully shut down

Windows 10 is designed to start fast and shut down even faster

My System starts in 7 seconds and shuts down in 3 . . .

When you shut your system down, the hard drive light should remain flickering for a few seconds and then go out. All fans should also stop . . .

If after that there is still hard drive activity, or your fans intermittently run, then your system has not shut down . . .

Another thing to do is unplug your system once it has completely shut down, wait a few minutes, then plug it in and start it up, does it still start very fast, if so then it is shutting down correctly . . .

DaveM121, Sep 26, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Yes.

Alternatively you could make an image of your current system (including all programs and data) and restore it onto your new disk.

Either way your new system will be activated. A new disk doesn't count as new hardware.

5. Bree New Member
    If you choose to do a clean install, you don't need to enter a key. Provided you install the same edition as you had before (Home or Pro) you can skip entering a key. It will activate automatically from your existing digital licence held on Microsoft's activation servers. As lx07 says, a new disk doesn't count as a hardware change.

6. abrogard Win User
    Ah, sounds excellent.

I can't make an image. I tried that. Macrium reflect couldn't do it. I think that's something to do with how badly that disk got itself damaged.

And that's why I want a completely new disk rather than reinstall on top of that one.

So I can pull that old disk out and put a new blank disk in and boot from an install disk or usb, do the install and that'll be it - the system will find my serial and activate just from the report it sends back on my hardware configuration?

Even if the new disk is somewhat different: 2T instead of one for instance.

abrogard, Sep 26, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Yes. The disk is not part of the hardware ID used to identify your PC on Microsoft's activation servers. The motherboard is, but not the HDD.

8. abrogard Win User

good news. thank you. i couldn't wish for anything more - except a way to keep my current installed apps but I think that's not possible for me.

I believe one can do a 'repair' installation that will keep the apps but that would then still be on the same disk and my problem is, I think, this flaky disk.

I have repaired this installation before as well as I can. Currently I can't open ports on this machine. Set port forwarding on the router and the router will tell me ports are open. But traffic from the web can't get in to my IIS installation and no port checker ever reports the ports as open.

they report them as closed. even reporting port 80 as closed.

that's just spontaneously happened recently, the last in a long series of problems, and I put it down to another sector going bad on the disk or similar.

So if you've got any good ideas about all that please let me know...

meanwhile I'll pull the disk and put up a new clean installation.

thanks again.

*Smile

abrogard, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. System Drive Going Down. How To Replace? - Similar Threads - System Drive Going

2. How to replace/remove Administrator on W10 system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to replace/remove Administrator on W10 system: Laptop Dell XPS 1330, i7, Windows 10 is transferred from Administrator ‘A’ to spouse in a divorce. All the data on the system are the work of spouse, but are shown as the property of ‘A’. Spouse creates Administrator ‘B’ account, logs in as such, also logging into ‘B’s...
  3. How to replace/remove Administrator on W10 system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to replace/remove Administrator on W10 system: Laptop Dell XPS 1330, i7, Windows 10 is transferred from Administrator ‘A’ to spouse in a divorce. All the data on the system are the work of spouse, but are shown as the property of ‘A’. Spouse creates Administrator ‘B’ account, logs in as such, also logging into ‘B’s...
  4. How to replace/remove Administrator on W10 system

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Drive replacement

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive replacement: This is an old notebook computer has a failing drive. Sea Tools long generic fail. Windows version10.0.18363 HP link only has tested drivers for Windows 8.0: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...90?sku=C2H77UA RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | Pavilion dv7t-7 Series |...
  6. Replacing operating system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing operating system: My desktop crashed yesterday now it wants a source to repair my operating system Windows 10 and I can't get it to see any source at all. I do not have a CD or recovery tool but I have no less than three licences. What do I do?...
  7. System settings scrolling down and not going back up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System settings scrolling down and not going back up: I click the gear in my task bar and open settings and it zips down to the bottom and doesn't let me scroll back up. Every system menu auto shoots me down to the bottom and I can't change anything. Only in settings no where else, wtf. Only thing different and new is I hooked...
  8. Replacing System Board

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replacing System Board: I built my own PC and now I need to replace the System Board. I installed Windows 8 OEM on the original PC and have since upgraded to Windows 10 through the free upgrade program. I need to know what steps to take in reactivating Windows 10 upgrade. Do I have to buy Windows...
  9. System Drive suddenly going nuts at 100%

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System Drive suddenly going nuts at 100%: I assume that might be the indexing service but i took some screenshots [img] [img] Second time [img] 74713
  10. How to replace system file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to replace system file?: I have a major problem on my desktop Win 10 Pro X64 computer. I won't go into all the detail since I'm still problem solving on my own. However, I do need help with one issue so I can continue problem solving. Part of the problem is that my mouse is not working and it...