Windows 10: System environment variable won't stick

Discus and support System environment variable won't stick in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there an "OK" button on your Environment Variables window? Yes, there's an OK button for each step. [img] Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mck, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Bree New Member

System environment variable won't stick

Yes, there's an OK button for each step.

System environment variable won't stick [​IMG]

2. MCK
    mck Win User

Bree,

My Environment Variables window does not have the OK button like yours:

System environment variable won't stick [​IMG]

Sorry for the low pic quality. I had to take a pic with my cell phone and send it via email to my PC, since I had to drag and HOLD the Environment Variables window up with the mouse cursor to show the bottom edge. Because when I let go of the mouse button, the window would snap back down to the bottom and not show the bottom edge.

As shown, there is no OK button on my Environment Variables window (and no scroll bar). I'll investigate why. Thanks so much for taking the time to post the snip from your screen. It is very, very helpful!

3. MCK
    mck Win User
    Bree,

Thanks to you, I found the problem! I had set Win10's "Change the size of text, apps and other items" to 175% to have larger text on my laptop's 15" screen at 1920x1080 resolution. Changing it to 150%, the OK button in the Environment Variables window is now displayed. When I do the procedure + click that OK button, now my path change sticks.

Guess I'll have to live with the 150% display setting to insure that I see everything, even though the text is smaller than I would like. Amazing that in 2017 after umpteen years of Windows, Win10 cannot handle a display size setting that it allows. Win10 should have allowed scrolling that Environment Variables window to show the OK button, even at the 175% setting.

Thanks so much man, it was driving me crazy *Smile,

4. Bree New Member

Glad you got there before me @mck - I'd just found some post on SevenForums with similar missing elements and scaling as the cause.

I recommend you set your screen back to the default 100% scaling and try the Magnifier instead (Start it easily with WinKey and the '+' key). Try the three different Views at various magnifications. From what you have said so far, I suspect 'Full Screen' at 200% may suit you best. Whatever you choose, the magnifier has the advantage it doesn't mess with any screen elements and their layout, just enlarges a normal display so you can read it.

5. MCK
    mck Win User
    Pyprohly,

I was remiss in not thanking you too. Thank you for pointing out the above in the first place.

Thanks!

Thema:

1. System environment variable won't stick - Similar Threads - System environment variable

2. Deleting the system variable environment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting the system variable environment: I unconsciously deleted all rows and items in the system variable environment setting in windows 11 and right now when I want to go for the Clean install of Windows 11 using installation media and click on the media creation tool in my flash memory, I face this error: "the...
  3. Deleting the system variable environment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting the system variable environment: I unconsciously deleted all rows and items in the system variable environment setting in windows 11 and right now when I want to go for the Clean install of Windows 11 using installation media and click on the media creation tool in my flash memory, I face this error: "the...
  4. Environment Variables, User variables for System Admin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Environment Variables, User variables for System Admin: I was looking at the 'User variables for System Admin' one day and saw my name spelled '*****'. I didn't care for that name and without thinking changed the name. Now all my music, photos & docs are gone. How can I undo that already tried 'System Restore'?...
  5. Environment Variables, User variables for System Admin

Environment Variables, User variables for System Admin: I was looking at the 'User variables for System Admin' one day and saw my name spelled '*****'. I didn't care for that name and without thinking changed the name. Now all my music, photos & docs are gone. How can I undo that already tried 'System Restore'?...
  6. Environment Variables, User variables for System Admin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. environment variables

environment variables: Cant get the modal window when editing my system variables from the environment variables areai get this windowand i want this window https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/07d24fc8-345d-4062-8169-3fa9bb16a049
  8. environment variables

in Windows 10 Customization
    environment variables: Hi, another question from a noob. I see in my PC environment variables at the bottom of the list a sole entry called ZES_ENABLE SYSMAN 1 .I am a sole PC home windows 10 user who only really games a lot. Should this be here, i can only find entries for this in the...
  9. environment variable

environment variable: What would happen when we deleted all the environment variable system directory. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variable/723a4cb6-5baf-4907-a56b-614f35d77da5
  10. System Environment variables

System Environment variables: Hello! I have been trying to run executable programs using command prompt since a long time, added the path names to the System and user environment variables as well. But it is not helping, the command prompt is unable to run any file except the inbuilds such as notepad....