Windows 10: System Error 64 when trying to map a network drive from XP to Windows 10

Discus and support System Error 64 when trying to map a network drive from XP to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi,I have an issue since I have re-installed Windows 10.Before I could map a network drive with NET USE on a Windows XP computer from a shared folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Heiko Mock1, Dec 11, 2023.

1. System Error 64 when trying to map a network drive from XP to Windows 10

Hi,I have an issue since I have re-installed Windows 10.Before I could map a network drive with NET USE on a Windows XP computer from a shared folder in WIN10.Now, when I try this again, I receive the system error 64.When I try to connect from Windows 10 to XP and map a drive from there it is working.Trying to access the drive from WIN10 to WIN10 gives me the username and password screen that's correct.I use McAffee as firewall, but it seems it uses windows defender rules.I can ping the IP of WIN10 from XP.Any idea what I can check?Brgds,Heiko

:)

Heiko Mock1, Dec 11, 2023
  2. ipellant Win User

Windows 10: Mapped network drives not showing up until sign out/restart?

In maybe the same tin...

Stumbled into a problem:

Scenario:

• Mapped a network computer drive to be E:\ on a laptop
    • Worked with no obvious problems - plug in a USB stick and it would take the next drive letter up
    • Then networked computer serving the mapped drive was not available - showed as not available on the laptop.. OK
    Problem:

• Plug a USB drive into the laptop - fails to show in Explorer. It appeared as a device; but not as a file system - guess Windows was trying to assign it to be drive E:\ - but that was held by the Map
    • The Map drive letter could not be released - Un-Map or Delete refused to clear it
    • Only solution was to put the network server back online and then clear the Map on the laptop.
    I was sure I had never had this problem before... but... all of my Windows 8.1 computers are now Windows 10 (10240 and 10525). I cannot test on Win 8.1. I still have a Windows XP computer - tested it... no such problems - dead network drive maps are easily
    deleted.

ipellant, Dec 11, 2023
  3. fatpat Win User
    Mapped Drives Issues

To clarify .... the issue is the Windows 10 OS. It is with Windows File Explorer. The Mapped drives used to appear in File Explorer's left panel list of drives and folders. Two days ago File explorer stopped show the mapped drives. so not they don;t appear in the list of Drives and folders.

- - - Updated - - -

I did, it has no effect. I also check the NAS devices they support SMB 2.0. Also I have several other computers on my home network they work fine with the mapped drives and They do not have SMB 1 turned on. So it is something that happened to the computer in question.

fatpat, Dec 11, 2023
  4. System Error 64 when trying to map a network drive from XP to Windows 10

Copying or moving files to and from a mapped network drive fails in Windows 10 Home

Hi Matthias,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about sharing files on network drive.

Kindly let us know if your device is connected to domain network.

If not connected I suggest you to try the below:

Make sure Network discovery is turned on and both the computer is in same home group. Steps to follow:

• Open Control Panel window
    • Select Network and Sharing Center
    • Select Change advanced sharing settings
    • Under Network Discovery, select Turn On network discovery

Also refer to Microsoft article about: Create a shortcut to (map) a network drive

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 11, 2023
Thema:

System Error 64 when trying to map a network drive from XP to Windows 10

1. System Error 64 when trying to map a network drive from XP to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - System Error trying

2. System Error 64 when trying to map a network drive from XP to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Error 64 when trying to map a network drive from XP to Windows 10: Hi,I have an issue since I have re-installed Windows 10.Before I could map a network drive with NET USE on a Windows XP computer from a shared folder in WIN10.Now, when I try this again, I receive the system error 64.When I try to connect from Windows 10 to XP and map a drive...
  3. Trying to map a network drive hosted on Windows 10 from a Windows 11 laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to map a network drive hosted on Windows 10 from a Windows 11 laptop: Hi,I am currently in the process of moving from an old Windows 10 laptop to a new one running Windows 11. I am logged on to both with my Microsoft account.I created a network share of my user data directory on the Windows 10 machine and am trying to connect to it from the...
  4. Trying to map a network drive hosted on Windows 10 from a Windows 11 laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to map a network drive hosted on Windows 10 from a Windows 11 laptop: Hi,I am currently in the process of moving from an old Windows 10 laptop to a new one running Windows 11. I am logged on to both with my Microsoft account.I created a network share of my user data directory on the Windows 10 machine and am trying to connect to it from the...
  5. Windows 10: Map a network drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: Map a network drive.: Hi Greg, I read your reply on 'Map a network drive'. It is helpful, but my question, about mapping a network drive, is a little different. Am helping a colleague map a network drive. Have granted Full Access to that colleague's account.While browsing and selecting the drive,...
  6. Mapping a Windows XP Pro drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapping a Windows XP Pro drive: I am working with a Windows 10 Pro PC and failing to map a Windows XP drive. For years, it has worked, but, now, attempts to open that drive locks up File Explorer. I unmapped it and find that I cannot re-map it. Did something change with a Windows 10 update? How can I...
  7. Mapping a network drive windows 10

Mapping a network drive windows 10: Hi All, I have tried to map an old network drive to my PC which hasn't been connected since win 10 update, it is a Lenovo/EMC product that is no longer supported and Lenovo EMC storage manager (On my old pc)) doesn't appear to be working. (Says the device if offline). I...
  8. Drive not showing up when trying to map a network drive (Laptop)

Drive not showing up when trying to map a network drive (Laptop): Someone please help me. I am trying to set up our server which we have on my sisters new laptop. when I go to 'map network drive' and click 'browse' the server called 'BGE-B-NAS' doesn't appear on the list. I have tried multiple times and nothing seems to be working. I also...
  9. Problems Trying to Map Network Drives

Problems Trying to Map Network Drives: Hi, I have windows 10 on my home laptop which I have brought in to work, connected up to the wireless network and attemping (and failed) to map the networks drives that are attached to our server. For some reasons, when I try and browser for folders whilst attemping to...
  10. Map Network Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Map Network Drive in Windows 10: How to: Map Network Drive in Windows 10 How to Map Network Drive or Disconnect Network Drive in Windows 10 When you map a network drive, you are creating a shortcut in This PC to a shared folder or computer on your network. A mapped network drive has the following...