Windows 10: System hang after two days of usage

Discus and support System hang after two days of usage in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. This past Saturday I reinstalled Windows 10 on my laptop via the media creator tool/USB boot. It ran smoothly on Saturday and Sunday, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AWC, Apr 4, 2017.

1. AWC
    AWC Win User

System hang after two days of usage

Hello.

This past Saturday I reinstalled Windows 10 on my laptop via the media creator tool/USB boot. It ran smoothly on Saturday and Sunday, but last night, after about three hours of usage, it froze/hanged...I had been away for 10 minutes and came back to find the time stuck at the moment of freeze and a general slowing of function of my programs. A reboot cleared things up. Four updates were installed on Saturday (first day) and two more on Sunday, all successfully. I also had a message for "searching for driver display" for the first few days but I guess it's not in the Action Center any more.

I've had problems with hangs before. I purchased my laptop three years ago and it began to hang regularly (about 2-3 times per sessions, with at least an hour between hangs) within a few days. This persisted (albeit at a slightly less frequent pace) following a hard drive repair and my switch from Windows 8 to 10. At some point it stopped hanging after I disabled updates (long story, wouldn't do again). The hanging issue went away following another hard drive replacement this past summer, only reappearing briefly during my time using Linux Mint.

Naturally, I don't know what's going on. The only thing I can think of off of the top of my head is some issue with the installation. When installing on Saturday I accidentally installed Windows 10 twice on the same partition - a screwup, to be sure. I had mistakenly thought that this was a part of the process, having never booted Windows 10 from a USB and generally being apprehensive about taking the USB stick out.

I've gone through Event Viewer several times but I'm not particularly good at deciphering what much of the logs mean, unless there was an obvious message (like 'hangcheck timer elapsed' from my experience with Mint). The closest I can find is an error report from the EventLog shortly after I rebooted - "The previous system shutdown at 8:05:46 PM on 4/3/17 was unexpected".

I would greatly appreciate any help with this and apologize in advance for whatever lack of information there is in this post. I'll gladly fill in anything else that's needed. I'm hoping to solve this without having to replace this laptop...it's pretty much my last straw for this thing and I'm definitely giving up on it if this is something significant like a driver problem.

Specs:
    Processor: Intel (R) Pentium (R) CPU N3520 @ 2.16 GHz 2.16 GHz
    RAM: 4.00 GB (3.90 GB)
    System type: 64-bit Operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 10 info:
    Edition: Windows 10 Home
    Version: 1607

:)

2. nym2010 Win User

Windows 10 Hangs, Mouse Cursor Moves, Keyboard Num Lock Button Responds

Noh, it did not.

1st week after the re-installation, the OS did not hanged, but after that, the issue came back.

And last two days the I did not faced the hang issue, although before that, the PC hanged about 5/6 times in a day.

nym2010, Apr 4, 2017
  3. AnithaJ J Win User
    Windows 10 hang-up

Hi Jesinta,

It's third day after upgrading to windows 10. But daily once its hanging likely after 3-4 hours usage . Please help with this issue.

Anitha J J

AnithaJ J, Apr 4, 2017
  4. System hang after two days of usage

Hi AWC. Welcome to the TenForums @AWC

What is the build number for your 1607 (Start => Settings => System => Scroll down right to "About", click

First I would check Device Manager. Are any devices showing a yellow exclamation mark or any other symbols?

Could you also please check your reliability history ( type the term in Cortana, should be at top) and see if it is telling you what is acting up. Click on days with red "X's"

Ken

Edit 1: You said it worked fine first two days. Did Windows install any device drivers from that point on?

Caledon Ken, Apr 9, 2017
Thema:

System hang after two days of usage

1. System hang after two days of usage - Similar Threads - System hang days

2. System Data Usage 30GB a day

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Data Usage 30GB a day: For the past two months, my "system" data usage has been hitting 30GB a day. I've gone through all of the previous posts about changing different settings and turning off apps to try to limit it but it still hasn't dropped below 25GB a day. What could be causing this issue?...
  3. System Data Usage 30GB a day

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Data Usage 30GB a day: For the past two months, my "system" data usage has been hitting 30GB a day. I've gone through all of the previous posts about changing different settings and turning off apps to try to limit it but it still hasn't dropped below 25GB a day. What could be causing this issue?...
  4. System random hangs after KB5011563

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System random hangs after KB5011563: I'm running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit on a new Intel i9-12900 system with 64GB of RAM. I'm using on-board graphics only; there are no peripheral cards plugged into the motherboard an Asus ROG Strix Z690-G Gaming Wifi board.The Reliability Monitor indicates that my system started...
  5. System random hangs after KB5011563

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System random hangs after KB5011563: I'm running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit on a new Intel i9-12900 system with 64GB of RAM. I'm using on-board graphics only; there are no peripheral cards plugged into the motherboard an Asus ROG Strix Z690-G Gaming Wifi board.The Reliability Monitor indicates that my system started...
  6. Regarding RAM usage,system hanging problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Regarding RAM usage,system hanging problem: I am using only Chrome but my RAM usage is showing 3GB or more than 3GB out of 4GB in task manager and my system hangs and mostly it is very slow . Even if I did not use any application or software my RAM usage is showing above 2.6 GB.Also when I have cleared the cache it is...
  7. system hangs

system hangs: After the last upgrade, my Acer Aspire keeps hanging on restart. A message saying an error has occurred and it must restart. this happens several times then it hangs. I cannot get it to switch off! Any ideas what is the problem?...
  8. HANG ERROR HATE HIS OS DAY BY DAY

HANG ERROR HATE HIS OS DAY BY DAY: hello guys plz help I have been using my PC for past 1 year its good till now. But suddenly for the past 2 months I get a small hang for about few seconds and the error is this, Description A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop...
  9. SYSTEMS HANGED

SYSTEMS HANGED: MY LEPTOP IS VERY VERY HANG WHEN I UPDATE ANY TYPES OOF APPLICATIN ARE NOT ON AND FULL SYSTEM IS VERY SLOW https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/systems-hanged/08d47e98-e567-4b10-b49a-e2e37dca81a0
  10. System Hangs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System Hangs: I have had repeated problems with system hangs since installation on July 29. The latest updates 3pm today have been applied. I have disabled most tasks in startup but so far still getting hangs varying from a few minutes till an hour or more. I have looked at the event logs...