Windows 10: System hangs when scanning for new/changed hardware.

Discus and support System hangs when scanning for new/changed hardware. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, My PC completely freezes when detecting hardware changes (device manager) after about 3-4 seconds. I've left it for 1h+ to see if anything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CWagner, Oct 8, 2015.

1. CWagner Win User

System hangs when scanning for new/changed hardware.

Hi,

My PC completely freezes when detecting hardware changes (device manager) after about 3-4 seconds.
    I've left it for 1h+ to see if anything happens over time, nothing.
    Tried it in safe mode, same problem.
    Removed geforce drivers, same problem

When frozen, all lights (and my screens) stay on, pressing capslock on KB doesn't turn the capslock light on/off.
    The manually initiated crash still works though, that's how I got the memory dumps in the attachment (usually there is no dump at all and the only way to "fix" it is to press the reboot button several times)

I've used the recommended tool (Attachment 41908) and the newer, beta analyzing tool (Attachment 41909) from the eightforums, just in case.

Any help is really appreciated.

Cheers,
    Christoph

:)

CWagner, Oct 8, 2015
  2. Jessen P Win User

Windows 10 random freeze

Hi,

Did you make any changes recently to the computer which may have led to random freeze?

Random hangs are often due to damage to the Windows configuration, faulty hardware, or malware. However, because this behavior is random, it can be especially difficult to identify the proper cause.

Random hangs can also be caused by other faulty hardware. Consult with your PC manufacturer to run available hardware diagnostics. This could include:

• PC diagnostics that test the integrity of the core PC devices, such as the processor fans and cooling system
    • Video and display diagnostics
    • Additional hard drive diagnostics

I would request you to perform SFC scan(if you have not tried it) and then check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to
    scan for corruptions in Windows system files
    and restore corrupted files.

To know about SFC and to perform a SFC Scan, please refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Please revert if you still face the random hang.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Oct 8, 2015
  3. Stuck on "Scan for Hardware Changes"

Hi,

Based on all the information provided, I can conclude that one of the following things may be causing your issue:

• Corrupted network from VPN
    • WiFi adapter off
    • Firewall blocking the network
    • Physical hardware damaged
    Follow all of these fixes until the issue is fixed.

Fix #1

Windows Networking can sometimes be corrupted from VPNs and Proxies.

• Uninstall all VPN software
    • Please follow
      this
      tutorial (and remove registry keys for VPN)
    • Remove any VPN connections that may be installed from the Control Panel. Don't worry if none are listed.
    • Note: This command will shutdown your computer. Save any files before completing this. Go to command prompt and type
      shutdown /s /t 0
    • Log on and see if your connection is working.
    Fix #2

• Look on your computer for a Wi-Fi switch. Turn it on if it is off.
    Fix #3

• In your antivirus (or firewall program), add your network to the trusted list of networks. Instructions vary between which firewall is used.
    Fix #4

If you are still experiencing issues, please leave a reply.

Skat0r vista, Oct 8, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi CWagner,

Welcome to the 10forums.

The reason why you manually initiated a BSOD crash is because of the freezes?

Please remove / disable items from the startup in taskmanager
    These programs could interfere with the boot process giving you trouble and increase the boot time.

Please remove some files from the D, E and G partition to increase the free space to at least 10-15%.
    Every partition needs at least 10-15% free space so Windows can do its thing in the background.

System hangs when scanning for new/changed hardware. [​IMG]
    Warning Less free space could cause BSOD's

axe0, Oct 8, 2015
  5. CWagner Win User
    Hi, thank you.

Kinda. I did it to get a memory dump just in case it would help someone help me *Smile

Regarding the startup items and the harddisks:

I don't see how programs I use all the time could give my boot process trouble and start up time is not an issue.
    E is barely ever even accessed (I would know, it's loud) and I can't imagine that the lack of space only results in the device manager freezing windows while nothing else is problematic.

I disabled them anyway and shoveled some space free with no change in the freezing behavior :/

CWagner, Oct 12, 2015
  6. axe0 New Member
    You need to be at the Performance and Maintenance section.

The BSOD section is ONLY for those who are experiencing bluescreens.
    Forcing a BSOD doesn't help as this time it didn't contain much information.

axe0, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System hangs when scanning for new/changed hardware. - Similar Threads - System hangs scanning

2. "Device Manger>"Scan for hardware changes" " problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Device Manger>"Scan for hardware changes" " problem: I wanted to search Device Manger for a driver so I clicked on the icon with a magnifying-glass that is actually the button for the tool "Scan for hardware changes". The app then opened a small window that said something like "searching for plug-ins", or "searching for...
  3. "Device Manger>"Scan for hardware changes" " problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Device Manger>"Scan for hardware changes" " problem: I wanted to search Device Manger for a driver so I clicked on the icon with a magnifying-glass that is actually the button for the tool "Scan for hardware changes". The app then opened a small window that said something like "searching for plug-ins", or "searching for...
  4. Scan for hardware changes causes BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Scan for hardware changes causes BSOD: Hello out there. This has been raised before and in other similar posts as well. Recently my computer updated the Logitech G Hub as I have a G29 wheel that I sue for iracing. Each time it installed I got the BSOD and thought must be this program but looking further and doping...
  5. Wifi driver is not reinstalled when did Scan for hardware changes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wifi driver is not reinstalled when did Scan for hardware changes: Hello, I had a problem with my wifi a morning: I couldn't select see any Wifi in Network, so I did some research on my phone, and I realized my wifi driver disappeared. I tried everything, including Scan for hardware changes, and then reset completely my pc, but it still...
  6. Scan for Hardware Changes Missing on Device Manager

Scan for Hardware Changes Missing on Device Manager: I have four different PCs - Windows 10 Pro, updated to the most recent updates - that are missing Scan for Hardware Changes in Device Manager. The four are of completely different hardware configurations. In the past, I have been able to open Device Manager - Go to the...
  7. System hangs on context menu "New"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System hangs on context menu "New": When hovering or clicking on "new" from the context menu my system hangs/freezes for about 11secs before opening the menu. If I click outside of the menu during this state explorer.exe crashes and restarts. I understand the Ctrl+Shift+N shortcut but old habits die hard and...
  8. Troubleshooter gets stuck on "scanning for hardware changes"!

Troubleshooter gets stuck on "scanning for hardware changes"!: Hi! I'm using windows 10 home on an HP laptop 64 bit. I have major issues with the audio drivers("no audio output device installed") in addition to the USB ports not working either and troubleshooting was the main advice on every single post I've seen about these issues. But...
  9. Device Manager > Scan for hardware changes?

Device Manager > Scan for hardware changes?: Since the first time I saw it in Windows (can't remember which version), long ago, I never had anything I could see as a result of clicking on the "Scan for hardware changes" option in the Device Manager. What does it do exactly and is there any kind of file it generates?...
  10. System completely freezes when scanning for new/changed hardware.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System completely freezes when scanning for new/changed hardware.: Hi, My PC completely freezes when detecting hardware changes (device manager) after about 3-4 seconds. I've left it for 1h+ to see if anything happens over time, nothing. Tried it in safe mode, same problem. Removed geforce drivers, same problem When frozen, all...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows freezes randomly and when scanning for hardware changes

2. scanning for hardware changes hangs

3. scan for hardware changes hangs

4. windows crashes when scanning for new hardware,
  5. scanning for hardware changes hangs 7280 thunderbolt