Windows 10: System icons on desktop do not work

Discus and support System icons on desktop do not work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; (Please note recent post DVD drive behaving oddly - Windows 10 Forums) I usually have Recycle Bin icon on the desktop. Yesterday it stopped working.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Sep 21, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

System icons on desktop do not work

(Please note recent post DVD drive behaving oddly - Windows 10 Forums)

I usually have Recycle Bin icon on the desktop. Yesterday it stopped working. Clicking on it did nothing. But its context menu came up ok. I created a new Icon by finding the address and it works. As a check I enabled This PC and Control Panel icons and they appeared on the desktop. But they, too, will not work. All other icons work as they should.

It's not that I can't work around this issue. But it is symptomatic of Something Wrong. So my questions are: What's wrong? and How do I fix it?.

I tried Safe Mode and ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:E:\Sources\Install.esd:1. No change.

Perhaps I should reinstall Windows, but anything else?

:)

tcebob, Sep 21, 2017

2. Desktop Icons do not work.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

I understand your inconvenience and we will surely help you to resolve the issue.

Please answer the below question to resolve your issue.

1. What icons are you trying to open?

2. If issue is specific with all desktop icon?

3. Go to all Apps and check if you can open the applications?

Please follow the below methods to resolve the issue:

Method 1: Perform System File Check (SFC), and then check if this fixes the issue.

Follow the steps:

SFC scan:

1. Press Windows logo + X.

2. Select command prompt admin.

3. Type ‘sfc /scannow’ (without quotes) and press enter.

4. Restart your computer.

Refer link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Method 2: Perform DISM and check it helps.

I suggest you to run the System update readiness command. It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available. Follow the steps.

1. Press Windows key + X.

2. Click command prompt (Run as administrator).

3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press
    Enter.

Hope this helps to resolve the issue. Please revert for any clarification on this or any Windows issue. We will be glad to help you.

Suvarna Govinda, Sep 21, 2017
  3. Desktop Icons do not work.

Thank you for your speedy reply. As I sat musing over the problem, I decided to check the updates. I updated what was suggested, restarted the computer and every icon on the desktop worked. It is hard for me to imaging that the problem was solved so
    simply. I will , however, keep your directions incase the problem arises again. Thank you.

Care Valkanas, Sep 21, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

I would, but not the clean install you seem to be assuming is your only option. I would try an in-place repair upgrade. This keeps all your files, installed apps and most of your settings.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

5. tcebob Win User
    I bear good tidings: selected a restore point at the 5th of this month and after an hour the PC is working as expected, including desktop icons and myriad other small peculiarities. This time I'll be really careful about what I download.

PS I'm bookmarking the suggested repair url.

tcebob, Sep 21, 2017
  6. nozi2000 Win User
    Not sure how to fix this problem windows explorer not working at all most of my short-cuts aren't working.
    linked a page i got saying "manifest is damaged" no idea what going on will try restore to day see what is happening coz it happening alot lately. only had windows 10 in for 3 days now.

sfcdetails.txt (file://DESKTOP-E2JG1BA/Users/nozi2/Desktop/sfcdetails.txt)

see if i link it right.

nozi2000, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. System icons on desktop do not work - Similar Threads - System icons desktop

2. Desktop icons not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop icons not working: My desktop icons, start button and folders are not opening when I click on them. When I click the cursor spins for a second or two and then nothing happens. I have restarted several times and that has not helped....
  3. System tray icon for desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    System tray icon for desktop: In Windows 7 system tray, an icon showed for the desk top. This is not so in Windows 10. If I am on a web site, how can I quickly return to the desk top without closing the web site. I do this now and then login to the web site again....
  4. Why do some of my desktop icons work and others do not?

Why do some of my desktop icons work and others do not?: Neither of the two browsers that I use are working. I have tried to open them, but they do not open. Other icons do work. Can someone give me a suggestion? I am sure it was something that I did to cause this problem. Thank you Care...
  5. desktop icon shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    desktop icon shortcuts not working: had to uninstall Avast protection and cleanup due to compatibility issues with windows 10 update. After removing it now some of my icons on my desktop do not work. they say "windows cant find (path name) make sure you type the name correctly then try again. It is for all...
  6. Desktop icons not working with chrome

Desktop icons not working with chrome: On both computers I have running Win 10 64, the desktop icons do not work. This happens regularly and then occassionally corrects itself. I see this is a widespread problem reported on several chat pages....
  7. desktop icons replace not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    desktop icons replace not working: When changing desktop icons in windows 10, desired icon does not load https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-replace-not-working/cf863682-8c34-4108-a2b2-f4f03dccd57f
  8. desktop icons do not show titles

desktop icons do not show titles: When I boot up my machine sometimes my desktop icons are not showing the titles and when I click the icon the screen is blank. I have to reboot to get them to show and work. I have windows 10 64bit...
  9. Desktop Speaker Icon Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Desktop Speaker Icon Not Working: I just noticed another issue after the latest Windows creator update. The speaker icon on my taskbar no longer functions. It is there and I have sound. when I hover over it the percent of speakers is displayed but I can no longer change the level from there. My keyboard has a...
  10. Desktop icons do not work

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons do not work: When I click on my desktop icons I get a small square window (by the icon) that I can click and put a check mark in. It does not open the program. In order for me to open program/icon I have to right click the icon and select open from the drop down menu. I can click icons in...