Windows 10: system image backup, 807800c5 error

Discus and support system image backup, 807800c5 error in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; hi, i have a problem with windows system image backup. my OEM windows 8.1 was installed on normal HDD with mbr partition config. so i bought an SDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by injaneb, Aug 21, 2015.

1. injaneb Win User

system image backup, 807800c5 error

hi,
    i have a problem with windows system image backup.
    my OEM windows 8.1 was installed on normal HDD with mbr partition config. so i bought an SDD make an image back up from my drive c. and then use windows DVD to recover(install) the image on new SDD.
    now after i upgrade to windows 10 i learned that i could change mbr to GPT and use EFi boot instead on using old legacy boot option.
    now after doing all these without reinstalling windows(caus i cannot go back to win 8.1 anymore)
    i decided to make a image back from windows 10 so i can restore to it in future.
    now the problem!
    the problem is every time windows tries to make an image, when it start to make an image from EFI partition it ran into this error :
    (the specified backup disk cannot be found) 0x807800c5
    really need help on this matter

:)

injaneb, Aug 21, 2015
  2. DiveDave Win User

Windows 10 System Image backup failed. Error code (0x80780081)

I got the same error, and solved by following these commands:

1.cmd

2.diskpart

3.select disk X ( X== the number of your old HDD)

3. list partition (find what is the number of your the partition labeled as system)

4. select partiton X

5. del partition override

Original discussion is here:

system image backup, 807800c5 error - Windows 10 Forums

DiveDave, Aug 21, 2015
  3. Windows 10 System Image Backup error: System Error: Access is denied, System Restore error: "0x80042306"

Hi Tom,

Continuation to the above thread, he's saying if you have installed any third party security software like Avast, MacAfee else then disable it. Yes Windows Defender is a built-in feature, we cannot uninstall it.

SujataMoktan, Aug 21, 2015
  4. injaneb Win User

the error caused by another EFI system partition on the old hard disk which windows were installed on it.
    most people are (including myself) forget to remove this partition after mounting another hard disk or SSD and install the windows on the new one.
    the solution is to remove the EFI partition from old hard disk.
    1.cmd
    2.diskpart
    3.select disk X ( X== the number of your old HDD)
    3. list partition (find what is the number of your the partition labeled as system)
    4. select partiton X
    5. del partition override
    now you can make system image back up.
    you can extend one of your partitions using the newly created free spaced
    go to disk management select the partition you want to extend right click on it and select extend.

injaneb, Aug 27, 2015
  5. exjmc Win User
    I have the same problem with my backup failing, and I think this will solve my issue too, but I have one questions first. Here's my drive setup in Disk Management:

system image backup, 807800c5 error [​IMG]

I have two SSDs in the computer, a 240GB C: drive with the O/S (Disk 1), and a 480GB D: drive for scratch/storage space (Disk 0). So I don't know which, if any, EFI partitions I can safely delete. How can I find that out? I don't want to make it unbootable...

Thanks for any help!

exjmc, Nov 22, 2015
  6. KJax Win User
    If you just want to be able to restore, I would suggest using the Create Restore Point tool which work as a quick easy fix if anything goes wrong. If you still want a system image to boot off of or install (which is good to have), why don't you just use the tool Microsoft has made available for just that instead of creating one from your own system? Unless I've misunderstood the question.

Find the tool here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

7. exjmc Win User
    Hi KJax - thanks for the info. I think what I want is somewhere in between those two things... I want to take a snapshot of all my important files (which the Windows Backup program does automatically) and move it off to another drive for safety. This process gets part-way done then fails, like in the original post. I'd like to resolve my EFI question, remove the unneeded one, and hopefully run the scheduled backup successfully. Does that help?

Thanks,
    Mike

exjmc, Nov 24, 2015
  8. system image backup, 807800c5 error

@injaneb, Thanks! This worked perfectly for me!

pleonard15, Dec 31, 2015
  9. @injaneb, thanks you put me on the right track! In my case there were 2 extra steps:
    • The extra EFI was not on the C disk but on the J disk (the target of the backup) which was an external USB. I don't know why an EFI was made there. To remove that EFI partition, follow these instructions [1] carefully. I needed only the instructions using the built-in diskpart tool. Just make sure you selected the right disk!
    • Before redoing the backup, delete the files on J: (the target disk) that were created by the previous botched backup. Their existence would cause exactly the same error code to show up.

[1] What is EFI System Partition | How to Delete EFI System Partition - EaseUS

bennreaves, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. system image backup, 807800c5 error - Similar Threads - system image backup

2. System image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System image backup: I have a msi laptop that don't have a dvd drive, when i use my system image backup it keeps asking me to create a system repair disk but i can't create becuse i don't have a dvd drive so how do i get rid of this problem plz help !! Thank you...
  3. System image backup

System image backup: I have a windows 10 pro PC and I recently replaced my main 2TB HD with a 3TB using GPT and cloned my drive with no problem, I also installed a 3TB drive and formatted it using GPT as a way of doing a system image, which I had previously gone to a 2TB HD. Since this change...
  4. system image backup

system image backup: Trying to back up my hard drive as a "system image". I see the option in the videos, but when I click on Settings, Backup, the "system image" option is not there. It just says "save these files" and lists a bunch of data files. How to create a system image? The Microsoft...
  5. System image backup

System image backup: I am trying to backup system image onto SD card formatted to NTFS but windows does not consider this as suitable. Can anyone assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-backup/9057d22e-bbcf-4007-bee5-9891199b3084
  6. Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?

Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?: When i first installed Windows 10, and had all the drivers running, and minimal apps installed, i created a system image backup at that point, so if one day something goes wrong, and all else fails, i can restore to that point in time. This is backed up on an HDD, and we...
  7. system image backup failed

system image backup failed: I had a successful image backup a year ago. However, recently, when I tried to do image backup, it failed. Please see the attached file. It happened on version 1809. I checked history service and volume shadow copy service and both of them were on automatic and had started. I...
  8. System Image Backup Failure, error 0x800423f3

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Backup Failure, error 0x800423f3: I've been running two machines with Windows 10 x64 for a while now. I periodically run a system image backup (on each machine) to an external HDD just as an extra precaution, as I use EaseUS ToDo Backup Workstation 8.6 for my weekly system images. Today I was able to complete...
  9. System image backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image backup: Hey guys. Sorry if this ain't the proper section. I'm trying to back up a system image on windows 10 but every time it gives me an error saying the backup failed and that "The specific backup storage location has the shadow copy on another volume." (0x80780038)." I've looked...
  10. Windows 10 Disk Image stops with error 807800c5

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Disk Image stops with error 807800c5: After installing a retail version of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit I was successful in creating a Windows 10 Pro USB System and USB Recovery. However when attempting to do a system image backup to a 2TB Hitachi external drive after about a minute received error 807800c5 error. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 807800c5 backup error