Windows 10: System Image Backup Failure

Discus and support System Image Backup Failure in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My searches have not turned up anything about this. On my computer, attempts to create a backup fail repeatedly, with these errors: Error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Not Myself, Aug 31, 2015.

1. System Image Backup Failure

My searches have not turned up anything about this. On my computer, attempts to create a backup fail repeatedly, with these errors:

Error encountered when writing data to backup target (0x80780166)
    System cannot find the file specified (0x80070002)

I have deleted the old backup folder from the external hard disk, and when I try to create a new backup, a new folder is created. Other programs write to the external disk, which has 824 GB of 931 GB free.

Any clues, ideas, spells to cast to fin the problem(s)?

:)

Not Myself, Aug 31, 2015

2. Windows 10 Pro Error codes returned after failing making a second System Image Backup

After creating a successful image backup on my second hard drive, I placed that backup into an
    identifiable folder. Then I perform some system changes and start an image bakup again however it will now fail with the following error messages/codes:

- There was a failure compacting the virtual hard disk on the backup location. (0x80780151).

-Additional Information:

The process cannot access the file because its being used by another process. (0x80070020).

After a reboot its possible to create a system image backup again.

This was not happening with Windows 8.1 Pro

How to execute a second System Image backup that will avoid this failure?

J.D.Koster, Aug 31, 2015
  3. OssieMac Win User
    Windows 10 Fall Creators - System Image Backup Re-installed onto a New Disk

If using System Image Backup, in the event of a disk failure, can the image be restored to a new disk or does Windows not recognize the new disk and cause a failure to activate or even failure to load?

I will appreciate an answer from someone who has actually done this or maybe a Microsoft person who is in a position of knowledge to provide a definite answer.

I have thought about making an Image and then change the disk and test. However, if it fails, I have this worry that Microsoft might record the attempt to install on a different disk and cancel the activation/registration and then when the original disk
    is re-installed then it will fail also.

For the uninitiated who may view this thread at a later date, System Image Backup is a little hidden and is accessed as follows.

• Type Backup into the search field
    • Select "Backup settings"
    • "Backup" should be the default selection in the left column but if not then select it.
    • Click the link "Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7)"
    • Select "Create a system image" (towards top left of dialog screen) and follow the prompts.

Alternatively select via "Control Panel."

• Type Control Panel into the search and select Control Panel
    • Under System and Security header select Save backup copies of your files with File History.
    • In the bottom left of the resulting dialog, select System Image Backup.
    • Then in the next dialog select Create a system image (towards top left of dialog screen) and follow the prompts.

OssieMac, Aug 31, 2015
  4. acmanten Win User

System Image Backup Failure

Tks, and I am wondering about which application program you are using to make the image backup.
    tks for any info. Cliff M.

acmanten, Aug 31, 2015
  5. I am using (or trying to use) the application built into Windows 10 Home, as I always did with Windows 7 Home Premium. I should have also stated that, the day I installed Windows 10 on both computers, 29July2015, I also ran that backup; curiously, it appeared to work on both machines, but since then, has always failed on mine.

Control Panel/File History, click on the link at the bottom left corner.

Not Myself, Aug 31, 2015
  6. Why and/or how this fixed the problem, I don't know (and if I did know, would likely not understand): In doing another search of the MS Community about System Image Backup problems, I found a thread, in which the first set of suggestions were to be certain that the Volume Shadow Copy and Windows backup services are set to set to automatic start.

While this did not seem to be related to the problem I was having, I figured that changing the two services from manual to automatic start would at least not make things any worse. They did not: The System Image Backup completed successfully.

I shall not try to prove a negative, namely that something else might have allowed the backup to work, by resetting the services to manual start. Rather, I shall just leave them alone, and accept that I have now successfully completed a System Image Backup.

Not Myself, Aug 31, 2015
  7. acmanten Win User
    "Not myself" or someone: My question is......I will start by asking: if there is an MS application available to do a windows 10 backup of all the new windows 10 programs/applications which has now been upgraded and MS has make it a permanent Activation? I have a 4gb backup HHD now as part of this desktop, and would sure like a way to save it once. I have not deleted my C:/windows.old folder yet. My c: drive is a 1TB drive. It hard to believe that MS would not have made/built an MS application available to all of us which could save all the files that are on a NEW upgrade.

I have been with MS ever since TRSDOS 4k Level one, and many of their computer and OS since that time.
    Thanks to anyone for your comments. All be safe... Cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 1, 2015
  8. Molyy Win User

Why stick to Windows built in backup? There are so many good free backup tools out there, like Macrium Reflect Free, Easeus Todo Backup Free , Paragon Backup & Recovery Free. They always do better in this.

Molyy, Sep 1, 2015
  9. I have Macrium Reflect, but I also had what I consider to be a valid reason for wanting, if possible, to get the built-in backup to work, namely that I had no way of knowing if that failure might also be affecting some thing else in Windows 10. Thus, I wanted to fix that which did not work, to possible alleviate some other unknown problem(s.)

Not Myself, Sep 1, 2015
  10. Ironically, Macrium failed this morning, with the same error message as I was getting from the built-in Windows System Image backup, that it could not find the file specified. Remembering how I apparently fixed the Windows problem, I found the Volume Shadow Copy repair module in Macrium, ran that, then successfully ran today's Macrium backup.

Thus, I feel that my taking the time to fix the Windows backup problem was worthwhile, as it pointed me in the proper direction today to remedy what was apparently the same problem in both the built-in and Macrium backups.

Not Myself, Sep 5, 2015
  11. I also decided to join the Win10 gravy train, by downloading an upgrade for my Win7 Ultimate.
    And I have now seen so many important failures that I now really want to question these letters: "Pro".
    You cannot have professional customers that need priority ONE functions in the OS like backup/restore system to WORK!
    I have seen this error 0x8000035 since Windows 7 (perhaps also in VISTA) and the failing "media.bin" file...

(I have had Norton Ghost, Acronis rubbish, and the best one Risefly's "BestSync", (that HAVE shadow copy, but will not work on windows for some microsoftish reason. As a NAS backup it is just excellent.) Why? Well 1: MS get $ from these companies...OR 2: MS are unable to create working backup systems of the simplest kind.)

...but I have never seen ONE Microsoft technician yet that could fix this - probably ridiculously SIMPLE problem - that has now only ONE function: To make us pay for an external backup program.

This is not the first example of "Microsoftish designed idiocy". Putting PRO on such OS software is just childish.
    Please share this text with MS support, MS tech support, until they make their "security" software secure!

Best regards,
    Lars

(MSDOS 3.0 to WINX "Pro")

larsahlstrom, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System Image Backup Failure - Similar Threads - System Image Backup

2. Backup or System Image failure while running backup. Error Code: 0x8078011E

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup or System Image failure while running backup. Error Code: 0x8078011E: I was trying to make a system image in Windows 10 with the feature called Backup and Restore Windows 7. So I bought an external drive for this. This was done to prepare for Windows 11 on a new computer. So I got this error and it was an easy fix at least for me,All I did was...
  3. Backup or System Image failure while running backup. Error Code: 0x8078011E

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup or System Image failure while running backup. Error Code: 0x8078011E: I was trying to make a system image in Windows 10 with the feature called Backup and Restore Windows 7. So I bought an external drive for this. This was done to prepare for Windows 11 on a new computer. So I got this error and it was an easy fix at least for me,All I did was...
  4. System image backup

System image backup: I have a msi laptop that don't have a dvd drive, when i use my system image backup it keeps asking me to create a system repair disk but i can't create becuse i don't have a dvd drive so how do i get rid of this problem plz help !! Thank you...
  5. System image backup

System image backup: I have a windows 10 pro PC and I recently replaced my main 2TB HD with a 3TB using GPT and cloned my drive with no problem, I also installed a 3TB drive and formatted it using GPT as a way of doing a system image, which I had previously gone to a 2TB HD. Since this change...
  6. system image backup

system image backup: Trying to back up my hard drive as a "system image". I see the option in the videos, but when I click on Settings, Backup, the "system image" option is not there. It just says "save these files" and lists a bunch of data files. How to create a system image? The Microsoft...
  7. System image backup

System image backup: I am trying to backup system image onto SD card formatted to NTFS but windows does not consider this as suitable. Can anyone assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-backup/9057d22e-bbcf-4007-bee5-9891199b3084
  8. System Image Backup Failure, error 0x800423f3

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Backup Failure, error 0x800423f3: I've been running two machines with Windows 10 x64 for a while now. I periodically run a system image backup (on each machine) to an external HDD just as an extra precaution, as I use EaseUS ToDo Backup Workstation 8.6 for my weekly system images. Today I was able to complete...
  9. System image backup

System image backup: Hey guys. Sorry if this ain't the proper section. I'm trying to back up a system image on windows 10 but every time it gives me an error saying the backup failed and that "The specific backup storage location has the shadow copy on another volume." (0x80780038)." I've looked...
  10. failure in the backup image

failure in the backup image: having problems creating an image of my system. [img] in searching for the error on the net I come up with these so called microsoft partner ads for software. could someone assist? Shipinomore sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. 47286