Windows 10: System image backup

Discus and support System image backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I prefer to keep my images portable, and to do full images. Windows imaging is NOT portable, and does incremental imaging. There may be workarounds,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by yeahyeayeah, Sep 27, 2015.

1. System image backup

Clive K, do you not have any installed programs on your drive?

How do you get an image down to 15 GB? Mine is 22 GB with games on the Storage Drive and only 80 total installed programs.

PlatypusKnight, Sep 28, 2015
  2. lx07 Win User

Mine takes 6 minutes to restore 11GB on a PCIe SSD (that works out at 244Mbps). What drive do you use? 15GB in 1 minute (0.25 GBps) is 2000Mbps which seems very fast.

3. Clive K Win User
    The restore time is SSD to SSD. If restoring from a spinner it takes about 2 minutes.
    I run CCleaner before making an image. I've also run the following.
    Analyse: Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
    Cleanup: Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

That got rid of a couple gig as I recall. I've also uninstalled all the supplied bundle apps.
    You can use http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-remov...in-windows-10/ as a guide.

I don't remember if I used that guide, but I did it early on. I have about 30 apps installed, but run games from a non-system drive. None are "heavy" like MS Office, VMWare, etc., but I do have LibreOffice installed.

Clive K, Sep 28, 2015
  4. System image backup

Aha!

Thank you.

PlatypusKnight, Sep 28, 2015
  5. donetao Win User
    Hi Here's a nice option that Macrium has. I can mount my OS(C drive) Then mount my image (E) drive.
    Now I can copy and paste or drag and drop from my image to my OS. The Image is a W10 image that I created when I upgraded.
    I have now rolled back to W7. Going to let you big dogs find all the bugs. LOL

donetao, Sep 28, 2015
  6. Word Man Win User
    Macrium restores can be particularly fast if using its Rapid Delta Restore (RDR) feature when there aren't extensive actual data changes- but that's in paid version only, not the free version.

Word Man, Sep 29, 2015
  7. donetao Win User
    Thanks for the info! I've never felt the need to get the paid version. I had the paid version a very long time ago, but they dropped me. I never paid again. I supported their paid version once, so I don't feel bad about using the freebie.LOL
    I've been using Macrium a very long time!! If I have to pay again, I will!!

donetao, Sep 29, 2015
  8. Gary Win User

System image backup

It takes longer to backup than to restore but it is still faster and better than MS's . I can restore 188Gb in less than 2 minutes.

9. Geneo Win User
    Wow. I backup 43 GB and it takes less than 3 minutes. To restore takes about 5 minutes. This is from 2 x 840 PRO in RAID 0 or 3x 1TB WD Blue in raid 0.

Geneo, Sep 29, 2015
  10. Geneo Win User
    Really? From what? That is > 1.5 GB/s. Or are you talking 188 gigabits and not gigabytes. I expect the latter.

Geneo, Sep 29, 2015
  11. Gary Win User
    No I am talking about 188GigaBytes over an E-Sata External Hard drive connection. That also is with formatting the disk first. This is the restore part. The backup takes about 30 minutes.

12. Geneo Win User
    Esata can do up to 500 mb/s. It is limited by sata 3 bandwidth. So how do you get more than 3x that limit? It is hard to imagine that you are getting over 3x compression.

I assume you are using Macrium. It's default units for display of how much data has been transferred is in bits not bytes. There is a setting to change that to bytes. 188 Gbits is 23.5 Gbytes = 195 MB/s which makes sense.

Geneo, Sep 29, 2015
  13. Gary Win User

System image backup

It is done off line using a Restore Disk from Macrium. I am talking about all of my programs and two games Ghosts is ~28 Gbytes and Advanced warfare is ~65 GBytes I also have CS 6.0 and other large programs. Just my music collection is 45 GBytes. Now I was wrong in that MR does not format the source drive but it deletes it if you want it to. I use the paid for version and from what I understand it scans the hard drive first and when it restores it, the program only really is changing anything that has changed. The initial speed is 1gb/sec but then it will drop to 800 to 700.

14. acmanten Win User
    I agree.. Macrium (Trial) or FREE - Each of them are NO - COST. and they work fine. I have used them in making and IMAGE and also recoving that IMAGE that they made. All is good and Free. Be safe.. Cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 29, 2015
  15. Word Man Win User
    That's the RDR feature I was referencing in post # 19. More on that here: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/pag...811&src=search

Word Man, Sep 29, 2015
Thema:

System image backup

1. System image backup - Similar Threads - System image backup

2. Windows System Image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows System Image backup: I want to create a System Image backup of my PC running Windows 10. The hard disk has no partitions, its a single drive with 57 GB used. I am planning to use a 1 Tb external HDD for the backupWill my external HDD get formatted during the backup process?How much space...
  3. System image backup

System image backup: I have a msi laptop that don't have a dvd drive, when i use my system image backup it keeps asking me to create a system repair disk but i can't create becuse i don't have a dvd drive so how do i get rid of this problem plz help !! Thank you...
  4. System Image Backup Drives

System Image Backup Drives: I purchased a Toshiba 2TB external hard drive-I made a system image from that. I decided something did not feel right about the drive, the drive was an awkward looking size. I deleted the system image and returned it. I had almost 6 hours of back up on this drive and it...
  5. System image backup

System image backup: I have a windows 10 pro PC and I recently replaced my main 2TB HD with a 3TB using GPT and cloned my drive with no problem, I also installed a 3TB drive and formatted it using GPT as a way of doing a system image, which I had previously gone to a 2TB HD. Since this change...
  6. system image backup

system image backup: Trying to back up my hard drive as a "system image". I see the option in the videos, but when I click on Settings, Backup, the "system image" option is not there. It just says "save these files" and lists a bunch of data files. How to create a system image? The Microsoft...
  7. System image backup question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System image backup question: Hello, I bought an external 1TB drive, to make a system image backup (which is in progress as we speak). The backup should be somewhat around 350 GB. Can I use the remaining space for my purposes, or will that be a problem when I eventually will have to restore the backup?...
  8. System image backup

System image backup: I am trying to backup system image onto SD card formatted to NTFS but windows does not consider this as suitable. Can anyone assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-backup/9057d22e-bbcf-4007-bee5-9891199b3084
  9. Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?

Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?: When i first installed Windows 10, and had all the drivers running, and minimal apps installed, i created a system image backup at that point, so if one day something goes wrong, and all else fails, i can restore to that point in time. This is backed up on an HDD, and we...
  10. system image backup failed

system image backup failed: I had a successful image backup a year ago. However, recently, when I tried to do image backup, it failed. Please see the attached file. It happened on version 1809. I checked history service and volume shadow copy service and both of them were on automatic and had started. I...