Windows 10: System Image Copy backup looping

Discus and support System Image Copy backup looping in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Trying to help my father save a system image copy of a new Lanovo ideapad 100S laptop with Windows 10 originally installed, onto an 32MG SD Card (via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Corinne, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Corinne Win User

System Image Copy backup looping

Trying to help my father save a system image copy of a new Lanovo ideapad 100S laptop with Windows 10 originally installed, onto an 32MG SD Card (via skype so sorry if I do not have enough info below to explain myself, let me know if you need more).

The problem is that the save continually loops during the saving process. The progress bar gets just under half way and it then asked for a disk to be inserted into the D*Biggrinrive. When selected OK the progress bar shoots the the end and then starts again until it reaches the same place and we get another identical message.

I have provided screenshots below to hopefully show exactly what it happening and explained the actions I have tried to resolve it so far:

SCREENSHOTS

The C: drive is 21GB so the SD card D: should be big enough?

System Image Copy backup looping [​IMG]

The backup selects 3 drives without the option to deselect any of them.

It finds the SD card without a problem.
    Saves the save but when it get about halfway if gives a message to insert a disk into D*Biggrinrive and click OK. Then apprearrs to loop back and start the C*Biggrinrive again.

Checked the SD Card in File Explorer at this point and there is are 2 files on it.

Checked the SD Card again once clicked to ok to insert a disk and one of the files has been wiped 0KB

ACTIONS TO FAR

1. Checked File history service and Volume shadow copy. Both were not running so started both. Retried saving a System Image Backup, with the same result.

2. Preformend a clean boot, set File history service and Volume shadow copy to running, still getting the same result.

Any idea why it is looping and how I can stop it so we can get a system Image copy saved?

:)

Corinne, Apr 22, 2016

2. Creating a System Image backup - keeps looping

Trying to help my father save a system image of a new Lanovo ideapad 100S laptop onto an 32MG SD Card (via skype so sorry if I do not have enough info below to explain myself, let me know if you need more).

The C: drive is 21GB so the SD card D: should be big enough?

The backup selects 3 drive and as I don't know what the extra 2 are I have left them selected.

It finds the SD card and saves the first file in the list and then starts on the C: Drive but when it gets part way through it gives a message to insert a disk into D: Drive and click OK. Then apprears to loop back and start the CSystem Image Copy backup looping :Drive save all over again.
    It will continute in this loop until we cancel the backup.

Checked the SD Card at this point and there is a file (I am guessing it is the partial save of the CSystem Image Copy backup looping :Drive)

BUT once clicked to ok to the insert a disk message the file is wiped to 0KB

Any idea why it is looping and how I can stop it so we can get a system Image saved?

Taken 2 whole days so far just to work out what appears to be happening.

CorinneFrieden, Apr 22, 2016
  3. Creating a System Image backup - keeps looping

Thought I'd drop my two cents here, the issue with it looping is a relatively simple one and surprised Microsoft people didn't know the correct answer...

The problem is that SD Cards and most USB Flash Drives are formatted FAT32 for the file system. This limits the maximum file size and one file can be to about 4GB. Obviously if the system image is saying the total backup is 21GB that won't work. Unfortunately
    this method doesn't know how to span the system image across multiple files, and instead of proper error handling (you reading this Microsoft?) it just loops when it hits the 4GB file limit rather than informing the user the file system is not proper for this
    method.

To alleviate the issue, right-click Computer (This PC) and go to Manage then Disk Management. From there you'll see your Removable Media, be it an SD Card or Flash Drive. You'll want to right-click whatever external method you are backing up to and select
    Format (Warning: This will delete all data on the media being formatted). From there, change File System to NTFS, make sure Quick Format is selected and hit Ok. After that your external media will properly function with the Windows System Image creation tool.

I hope this helps people in the future, I sat here pondering the same thing as I prepare to swap from a HDD to an SSD in a laptop I'm giving to my dad. It dawned on me after watching it loop a few times that it was stopping with a file around 4GB and my
    IT training went into full effect and realized it needed to be formatted as NTFS System Image Copy backup looping :)

JeffSpiers, Apr 22, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

Try a USB stick - Not SD card
    SD Cards are not bootable

5. Corinne Win User
    Thank you I will need to get him to buy one to try. I had sought help from a Mirosoft Service Engineer and he failed to point that out as an issue.

Corinne, Apr 22, 2016
  6. Corinne Win User
    Now the problem of how to get it onto a USB stick.

When we try we get the message that is it not a valid drive.

After extensive searching I found a workaround that involved turning the USB stick into a network and then saving the system image which worked without a hitch BUT now find that people have been unable to then reload the image when saved in this way which makes the copy worthless.

Does anyone have a foolproof method of saving the system image to a USB stick?

Corinne, Apr 26, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    I had tried to save system image backup to an usb. It failed with the error message .................. it is not a valid backup location.

I had posted question about that quite sometime ago.
    I'd like a clear understanding why.................
    The end result from my thread is : use an external hard drive or DVDs.

davidhk, Apr 26, 2016
  8. Corinne Win User

Thank you, You have helped me give up the hope of getting a sensible resolution from Microsoft.

It is coming clear that this issue seems to be a huge bugbear for an extensive number of Windows 10 users that Microsoft seem unwilling to address or even acknowledge. I can't expect my father to be spending more mony on hard disks (does not have a DVD drive) when he just will never make use of it other than for this so will be looking into Macrium Reflect although very reluctant to have to go to external software to do something which is fundimental to maintaining the software we have already paid Microsoft for the honor of using.

Corinne, Apr 26, 2016
  9. Kyhi Win User
    Macruim Reflect is a Very TRUSTED Backup program in every forum, and it is free...

10. Corinne Win User
    Thank you for the assurance! Can I just ask if you know that it will definetly allow for the system image to be saved to a USB?

Corinne, Apr 26, 2016
  11. Corinne Win User
    Thank you!!!!

Corinne, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System Image Copy backup looping - Similar Threads - System Image Copy

2. Windows System Image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows System Image backup: I want to create a System Image backup of my PC running Windows 10. The hard disk has no partitions, its a single drive with 57 GB used. I am planning to use a 1 Tb external HDD for the backupWill my external HDD get formatted during the backup process?How much space...
  3. System image backup

System image backup: I have a msi laptop that don't have a dvd drive, when i use my system image backup it keeps asking me to create a system repair disk but i can't create becuse i don't have a dvd drive so how do i get rid of this problem plz help !! Thank you...
  4. System image backup

System image backup: I have a windows 10 pro PC and I recently replaced my main 2TB HD with a 3TB using GPT and cloned my drive with no problem, I also installed a 3TB drive and formatted it using GPT as a way of doing a system image, which I had previously gone to a 2TB HD. Since this change...
  5. system image backup

system image backup: Trying to back up my hard drive as a "system image". I see the option in the videos, but when I click on Settings, Backup, the "system image" option is not there. It just says "save these files" and lists a bunch of data files. How to create a system image? The Microsoft...
  6. System image backup question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System image backup question: Hello, I bought an external 1TB drive, to make a system image backup (which is in progress as we speak). The backup should be somewhat around 350 GB. Can I use the remaining space for my purposes, or will that be a problem when I eventually will have to restore the backup?...
  7. System image backup

System image backup: I am trying to backup system image onto SD card formatted to NTFS but windows does not consider this as suitable. Can anyone assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-backup/9057d22e-bbcf-4007-bee5-9891199b3084
  8. Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?

Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?: When i first installed Windows 10, and had all the drivers running, and minimal apps installed, i created a system image backup at that point, so if one day something goes wrong, and all else fails, i can restore to that point in time. This is backed up on an HDD, and we...
  9. system image backup failed

system image backup failed: I had a successful image backup a year ago. However, recently, when I tried to do image backup, it failed. Please see the attached file. It happened on version 1809. I checked history service and volume shadow copy service and both of them were on automatic and had started. I...
  10. System image backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image backup: Hey guys. Sorry if this ain't the proper section. I'm trying to back up a system image on windows 10 but every time it gives me an error saying the backup failed and that "The specific backup storage location has the shadow copy on another volume." (0x80780038)." I've looked...