Windows 10: System image create option missing

Discus and support System image create option missing in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Just about got my new install of windows 10 running how I like and thought I should make a system image on an external back drive just in case. So I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by timdf911, Jun 30, 2016.

1. timdf911 Win User

System image create option missing

Just about got my new install of windows 10 running how I like and thought I should make a system image on an external back drive just in case.

So I followed the instructions to get to control panel > Backup and Restore (Windows 7) but that's it no option to select a drive and create an image. In fact nothing at all, just a dead end functionality wise.

I've tried inserting USB drives, hot swap sata drive (my preferred image media) - but still nothing.

File history is working fine.

Maybe there's another setting I need to tweak ?

Any ideas ?

Edit - I've been able to create a 'recovery drive' on a hot swap sata hard drive so I guess that's as good as a system image or am I missing something here as well ?

Regards Tim

:)

timdf911, Jun 30, 2016

2. Strange "C Missing" in Restore window

Results of testing Acronis clone and Image restore.

Boot SSD 1 – verified that there is no C Missing.

Created a second restore point for this drive.

Wipe SSD 2.

Clone SSD 1 to SSD 2 using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot from SSD 2.

C Missing exists on SSD 2

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection ON for C Missing.

Wipe SSD 2.

Image SSD1 to External backup drive using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Restore image from external drive to SSD2 with Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot SSD2.

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection turned ON for C Missing.

My Results of testing;

Macrium clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Macrium Image restore does NOT create C Missing on imaged drive

Acronis clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Acronis image restore creates C Missing on imaged drive.

Turning Protection OFF on C Missing removes it from System Protection window.

Must turn protection on for C System.

These are my results - Others may have different results.

snifferpro, Jun 30, 2016
  3. Creating a System Image

at my age I'm not so sure about a "great (technical) learning experience. If I do nothing will I be OK?

You're the best, thanks

littleneilnpl, Jun 30, 2016
  4. System image create option missing

If you choose 'File History' instead of 'Backup...' there is an option at the bottom of the bar on the left to create a System Image. This is the way I always do it and it works fine.

SaggyMaggyPoo, Jun 30, 2016
  5. timdf911 Win User
    turns out I had already tried that path and the same thing happens ie I get a page showing "back up or restore your files" and that's it nothing else anywhere - very odd.

timdf911, Jun 30, 2016
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    For the Best image backup program to use for your Windows 10, I suggest you use Macrium Reflect Free. Its far better than the built-in Windows app, with more features, and much more dependable!!! Lots of us on here use Macrium. *Smile
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

OldMike65, Jun 30, 2016
  7. timdf911 Win User
    Thanks for the link to Macrium, just downloaded, installed and ran it.

Seems to have worked - hopefully will never need it, bit like insurance.

Might even buy the full version later on as it seems reasonably priced.

Regards Tim

timdf911, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

System image create option missing

1. System image create option missing - Similar Threads - System image create

2. create system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    create system image: just updated to win 8.1 difficulty in find how to do a system image for future recovery. What am I missing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-system-image/97d4d168-ad0f-4b73-9126-deada0a14ede
  3. create system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    create system image: I just got a new HP laptop with Windows 10 installed. How do i create system image or repair disc so i can reload Windows if needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-system-image/85580817-ed8a-415b-8225-143159961fff
  4. Create system image

Create system image: I have heard roumors that the function "Create System Image" that is included in Windows 10 will be removed soon. Can anyone tell me when Microsoft intends to remove this function from Windows 10? Kind regards...
  5. Create System Image

Create System Image: Hi there I am trying to create a system image of my primary drive. This includes 3 partitions: EFI System Partition, System C: and a hidden recovery partition. The problem is that in drives selection page I don't see the recovery partition as you can see in the photo....
  6. Creating a system image

Creating a system image: Hi, I wanted to create a system image . I have some screen shots for the issue.Note that this has not been an issue before 2004 version. As you can see in the screen shots "Back up and Restore" includes D: in system but in the computer management it is not a...
  7. CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE

CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE: Trying to create a system image for my Windows 10 desktop to a usb 3.0 flash drive formatted for NTFS as required. Receiving an error message "the drive is not a valid backup location". Can anyone help?...
  8. Builtin option to create a system image with windows 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Builtin option to create a system image with windows 10: C:\Windows\System32\sdclt.exe /BLBBACKUPWIZARD 141806
  9. Creating a System Image

Creating a System Image: When I try to create a system immage, it starts then error 0x800706ba appears and it stops https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/creating-a-system-image/9877495c-d9a8-47dd-8847-de3fb145c981
  10. System Image Recovery option missing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Recovery option missing: Hi guys, Forgive me if I posted in the wrong section. My problem started when I try to perform a windows creator upgrade. After the upgrading process, I ran "winver" but it shows my current version as "1607 Build 14393.447". So I try to restore using my backup image but...