Windows 10: System image or recovery flash drive?

Discus and support System image or recovery flash drive? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Of the above which is the better solution to backup or do I need both? Also, I have a desktop and a laptop both running Windows 10 fall creator... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by oeivinr, Oct 30, 2017.

1. oeivinr Win User

System image or recovery flash drive?

Of the above which is the better solution to backup or do I need both? Also, I have a desktop and a laptop both running Windows 10 fall creator version. I have created a recovery flash drive with system files included for the desktop. Will that one also work for the laptop? Or do I need to create a seperate flash dive for the laptop?

Thanx

:)

oeivinr, Oct 30, 2017
  2. katinfoco Win User

Is the system backup for Windows 10 still identified as a Windows 7 task name?

still confused about system image (win7 terminology) vs recovery on usb (win10 terminology)...

we have 3 machines, some with win7, some with win10. which backup/restore/recovery/system image ???

program should I use to ensure that I have backups/restore/recovery/system image ??? available in case of pc failure?

the terms used in win7 and win10 are very confusing.

also, re win10, hate to use up a large flash drive just for a recovery in win10 (when creating a recovery in win10, it wipes out all other files on the flash drive).

Can I use the flash drive for other files? Or maybe revert back to the win7 backup and restore that does not wipe the flash drive??

katinfoco, Oct 30, 2017
  3. katinfoco Win User
    "backup and restore win 7" or "recovery" for win10, which one to use on Win10?

still confused about system image (win7 terminology) vs recovery on usb (win10 terminology)...

we have 3 machines, some with win7, some with win10. which backup/restore/recovery/system image ??? program should I use to ensure that I have backups/restore/recovery/system image ??? available in case of pc failure?

the terms used in win7 and win10 are very confusing.

If the preference is to use "recovery" in Win10, why is there an option to choose "backup and restore Windows 7" available in Win10

also, re win10, hate to use up a large flash drive just for a recovery in win10 (when creating a recovery in win10, it wipes out all other files on the flash drive). Will the recovery option still work from a flash drive with other files on the drive?

katinfoco, Oct 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, Use 3rd party disk imaging. We continually recommend this, as does MS now in place of Win 7 Backup and Restore.

Separate images needed for each device.
    Image the set of Windows partitions, and then image your data disks/partitions.
    Keep personal data off C: as far as possible.

Here's my write-up on the value of disk imaging.

Everyone who contributes regularly here uses and recommends disk imaging.

If you use it, you can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.
    Can be used with Laplink software to transfer your build automatically to another PC

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your imaged disks and partitions to a previous working state from compressed copies you have created and kept updated on external storage media, quickly and probably without technical help.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

You need a backup medium - say- twice as large as the total amount of data you are imaging to keep a reasonable number of differential images. This will vary dependent on the number of images you keep, so is only a rough practical guide.

Some comment that system restore isn't always reliable; if it works and solves the problem, great. But sometimes restores won't work or fail. And of course a restore point only covers a limited number of aspects of the system. That’s where disk imaging comes in.

(There's a tutorial on Macrium in the Tutorials section, and a couple of videos in the user videos section on this forum)
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials
    Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members

dalchina, Oct 30, 2017
  5. Plankton Win User
    IMO....both....simply because the image backup might become corrupt and/or you may want to do a clean install at some later date.

Plankton, Oct 30, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    A recovery drive is specific to PC.

If you want to clean install, just use media creation tool which is generic and works on any pc. Also recovery drives are out of date after 6 months anyway.

cereberus, Oct 30, 2017
  7. Plankton Win User
    In the OP title it says recovery flash drive.....which I took it meant the install media using the MCT from MS.

Plankton, Oct 30, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Then you also need to reed the actual post:

That is not a Windows 10 installation drive made from the MCT.

NavyLCDR, Oct 30, 2017
  9. Plankton Win User
    That's exactly why I suggested the OP to create the install media with the MCT.

Plankton, Oct 30, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    That is not a Windows 10 installation drive made from the MCT. Quite right, it is in fact a drive specifically tailored for the PC that it was made on. The 'system files included', in addition to all the files needed to clean install Windows, can also include any OEM custom install files, such as device drivers and OEM utilities. The Recovery Drive with system files included is effectively a 'factory reset' drive.

Thema:

1. System image or recovery flash drive? - Similar Threads - System image recovery

2. Flash Drive recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flash Drive recovery: I wanted to know if Microsoft has a trustworthy flash drive recovery software program for flash drives that stop being read but have significant and important files on them. I tried 3rd party only to be disappointed after purchasing the software. Or can the community help...
  3. Flash Drive recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Flash Drive recovery: I wanted to know if Microsoft has a trustworthy flash drive recovery software program for flash drives that stop being read but have significant and important files on them. I tried 3rd party only to be disappointed after purchasing the software. Or can the community help...
  4. Flash Drive recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Create a System Image / Recovery Drive Help

Create a System Image / Recovery Drive Help: Hi there, I need to return my laptop with Windows 10 Home for some hardware issue, the warranty is still valid so they will send me a new one once I ship this one. Before sending it back I want to make a Bare Metal full backup to be recovered on the new laptop. I want to...
  6. Recovery Flash drive

Recovery Flash drive: After purchasing my lenovo ideapad laptop i have created a recovery drive through a flash drive for windows 10 backup. today i have updated the BIOS of my laptop. should i create the recovery drive again or last backup will work that created before updating BIOS?...
  7. System Image Recovery

System Image Recovery: Can I use a SYSTEM IMAGE RECOVERY to transfer my files to anew PC trough an external drive? If on my existing pc i have 2 disks C: and D: and the new one will also have 2 disks will the system install the image on the new PC like they were on the old PC? C: to C: amd D:ti...
  8. system image recovery

system image recovery: I can't long into my Desktop-HTLT8V4 it needs recovery key and the sign I got was - to retrieve this key , go tohttp://windows.microsoft.com/recoverykeyfaq from another PC or mobile device .in case you need it the key ID is D48B8C0E...
  9. Can't find system image on recovery drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't find system image on recovery drive: One of the 1st things I do with a new PC is create & test a recovery drive. This is the 3rd Windows 10 PC I've worked on-all Toshiba Satellites by coincidence. This one seems to have a problem, possibly creating the recovery drive and if not that then certainly using it. Or...
  10. System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Recovery: Hi All, I'm switching to SSD and I created a system image on the drive already. I tried going to system image recovery to boot using it, however when I click it, the screen goes blank. I'm pretty sure it's not a time thing, I gave it 8 hours. I'm pretty sure this is my...