Windows 10: System Image Problem

Discus and support System Image Problem in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; First, I'm new to this site and I don't know if this is the correct place for this thread, if not could someone please advise where to post this. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by caddman6425, Jun 28, 2016.

1. System Image Problem

First, I'm new to this site and I don't know if this is the correct place for this thread, if not could someone please advise where to post this. I won't go into the problem here if this isn't the correct place.

:)

caddman6425, Jun 28, 2016
  2. dharge Win User

System Image failure with error: The system image restore failed. Error details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)" on Windows 10

Here's my issue in a nutshell. Had an issue with my HP Envy 17 Leap Motion. I have Windows 8.1 upgraded to 10. Made a system image disk on an external hard drive and sent the unit back to HP for repair. HP had to replace the motherboard and some other small
    issues. Got the system back and attempted to re-load the system image disk and got the following messages - "The system image restore failed. Error details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)"

Tried to do a recovery and got this message:

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0x000000f

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device, contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer."

(btw...I have installation DVD and a USB recovery drive)

Next it was suggested I reset the PC. I got this message:

"The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

Have no clue how to do that.

I hope I've give you enough information to offer a suggestion.

Original title: System Image failure

dharge, Jun 28, 2016
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    System Image Restore Does Not Find System Image In System Image Problem :D Drive, External Drive, Etc. Windows 10 Pro V1709 64 Bit

Hi Luis,

This might be caused by a corrupted file. Do give us an update once you're done with the disk cleanup so we can provide further assistance.

If the issue persists, if it is the system image for Windows 10, try downloading a new installation media that you can use through this
    link.

We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Anne Ros, Jun 28, 2016
  4. System Image Problem

Well, I'm going for it and hope for the best. I've been doing System Image backups for quite some time, and have had no problems until Now. The last system image that I did that I restored was Win 8.1 with no problems. After I installed Win 10 Pro from the free download, I made a USB install stick. As I always do, I did a System Image backup to an External HDD after I install any new software to drive C: and tested it to see if I could evoke the System Image restore from the USB drive, no problem.
    Well after numerous backups it came to pass that I inadvertently deleted my Saved email files, so as I've done before, on occasions, I just restore the System Image. Went to bed that night after I did a "Shift + restart" to evoke the access to the System Image Restore and when I turned on the monitor in the morning, expecting the restore to be finished, I found the error message "0x80070057: Parameter is incorrect". Now I have a serious problem!!!
    I've evoked the restore process numerous time from the Win 10 USB install drive as well as reinstalled the Win 10 OS and evoked it that way, to no avail.
    This is the whole reason that I do a System Image Backup is to not have a situation like this, why is Win 10 different? So am I SOL or what? What can I do that I'm missing? Can I use a third party software to reinstall my system? Please Help

caddman6425, Jun 29, 2016
  5. In order to help you, you must follow the rules of posting in the BSOD forum on TenForums. You can read those here:

BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

As for your BSOD problem, it will be hard to help you without a .dmp file. In the posting instructions, you can find out how to get the .dmp file required.

TeenTechie, Jun 29, 2016
  6. There is no .dmp file since when it did the restore it erased the HDD. That is why I can't follow the rules for posting and why I asked if this was the correct place to post it, if not, can you tell me where to post this?

7. axe0 New Member
    As this is not something for BSOD analysis I have requested this to be moved to the appropriate forum.

A system restore problem is not related to BSODs.

8. System Image Problem

I want to thank the powers that be for moving this post to the correct place. That being said, I have been searching over and over again on the same similar posts. I keep noticing one thing constantly, that everything has to be the same, which brings a question. When I did have an OS and files on C:, I re-lettered my HDD and External HDD in logical order. The External HDD that houses the system image was G: , but when I did the System Image Restore and it searched the HDD, it said that the image was on drive F:, would this cause the error?
    Also, I'm sure that Win 10 has upgraded and it could have since the last System Image Backup took place, which brings me to something else that I noticed in my search, <"The installation media (ex: build[/b] as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then the repair install will fail.">, so my next question is this, since there could be a possibility that Windows updated after I did a system image, would that cause the problem?
    Next question along the same line, I tried doing a restore by booting off my USB, which is different than the updated OS, the same condition applies, correct?
    If this is all true, is there any way to find the build of the OS on the image and download that build or manipulate the image so that drives are all the same? Is there away to use a third party software to restore my system off of the saved image?

9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Not 100% sure about this but I have noticed before that moving the backup files to a different location effectively breaks it.
    Now if changing drive letters amounts to the same I really don't know.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jun 29, 2016
  10. But, if your system has the drive letters changed before the backup and you do a restore from the system using "shift + restart" it show the drive letters different. Why?

11. Try recovery when booting to a Win10 System Repair disc, Win10 Install media, or a Recovery drive.

Advanced Startup Options - Boot to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Advanced Startup Options > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System image recovery

It should search the drive(s) and find the image - I don't think the drive letter affects it - I've moved an image from one drive to another and it still worked.

Slartybart, Jun 30, 2016
  12. That's what I do and at the end of the restore I get the error.

caddman6425, Jun 30, 2016
  13. System Image Problem

Ok, it's possible that the System Reserve partition is corrupt - might be as simple as a size mismatch, might be more.

I'd like to see your Disk Management

• Download dmDskmgr-vg.zip (contains dmDskmgr-vg.mmc)

• Open the compressed folder, dmDskmgr-vg.zip
      Double click dmDskmgr-vg.mmc to launch it
      Press the Open button if prompted Do you want to open this file?
      Answer yes to the User Account Control prompt
    • Press Alt+PrtScn to grab a snapshot of just the Disk Management window
      Open Paint and Ctrl+V to paste it, then save the image

• Attach the image to a new post
    Did you re-organize the drive in any other way than drive letters?

I'd also like to see a list of the partition that has the images

Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    enter the drive letter with the image ( example F*Smile
    F:
    dir /a /s > listImgsVol.txt
    exit
    attach listImgsVol.txt to a post
    Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

Thanks

Slartybart, Jun 30, 2016
  14. There's a little problem with what you want. When I did the initial Image restore, it wiped my hard drive and when it failed at the end of the restore, there's no OS to boot, let alone do what you want. I'm using a laptop to communicate with you, so downloading it to this computer wouldn't help.

I've tried reloading the OS to try doing another "shift + restart" to access the System Image restore, I've tried using my USB flash drive to boot to the install and use the repair function and do a restore, but to no avail. Everything is screwed up, and at the present time of this writing there is no OS on C: drive, but the Image is on a External USB drive.

What do you want me to do???

caddman6425, Jun 30, 2016
  15. badrobot Win User
    are there 3 drives/partitions involved in this restoration process? c:, image drive and USB install stick?
    If so, the restore process is probably picking up the wrong drive to restore to (not the c drive). Try unplugging the USB stick right before starting the restore process.

badrobot, Jun 30, 2016
Thema:

System Image Problem

1. System Image Problem - Similar Threads - System Image Problem

2. System Image Restoration Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Image Restoration Problem: I've got a new computer win11 and a new external hard drive. I wanted to verify that I could restore a system image, so I created an image and attempted to restore it. I've always had windows home, and I've never used bitlocker, so I failed the image restore. The error...
  3. System Image Restoration Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Image Restoration Problem: I've got a new computer win11 and a new external hard drive. I wanted to verify that I could restore a system image, so I created an image and attempted to restore it. I've always had windows home, and I've never used bitlocker, so I failed the image restore. The error...
  4. Problem with Windows System Image

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with Windows System Image: I recently created a system image because I plan on selling my computer, but having a system image means I can reset the computer to let people test it, and restore it if nobody buys it, or get files off it for my new computer. However, before resetting my computer I wanted...
  5. System Image Creating Problem.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Image Creating Problem.: I want to create a system image of my "C" drive for backup purposes, but when I use the built-in backup tool, my "G" drive is also selected and I can't uncheck it. My "G" drive is filled with videos, stuff, games and I really do not need that backed up How to uncheck "G"...
  6. Problem with system image

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with system image: How can I convert my external exFAT drive to NTFS so that I can use it for a system image ? Thanks for advice. submitted by /u/henz333 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kdt4kx/problem_with_system_image/
  7. Windows System Image Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows System Image Problem: After a fresh installation of windows 10, I tried to create a Sytem Image via the Windows 7 Backup in Control Panell. When I select the drive that Iwant the backup to be saved I get the message: "The is not enough space on the destination drive". Of course there more than...
  8. System Image Restore Problem

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Restore Problem: Hi everyone, I really need some help. I backed up my system using a system image about a month ago. Then just recently my system kept freezing. I went to reinstall windows and it kept crashing and therefore had no operating system on. So so I then used my windows 10...
  9. System Image Problem

System Image Problem: Running Windows 10 Home, Version 1703, Build 15063.332. Every month for the past several years I/we do a SystemImage. Two weeks ago, sensing imminentfailure of the HDD, I installed a Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD and transferred allfiles (including Windows 10) from the HDD to...
  10. problem creating system image

problem creating system image: i did a clean install of windows 10 and now i am trying to do a system image and save it to usb but windows keeps saying this is not a valid location, my usb is a sandisk 64 gb formatted to the correct format that windows asks me to do .i have tried to do create a image on...