Windows 10: System Image Recovery option missing

Discus and support System Image Recovery option missing in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi guys, Forgive me if I posted in the wrong section. My problem started when I try to perform a windows creator upgrade. After the upgrading... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jhawk55, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Jhawk55 Win User

System Image Recovery option missing

Hi guys,
    Forgive me if I posted in the wrong section. My problem started when I try to perform a windows creator upgrade. After the upgrading process, I ran "winver" but it shows my current version as "1607 Build 14393.447".
    So I try to restore using my backup image but was shock to find that the "System Image recovery" option missing. So how can I restore my system to it's previous state, thanks in advance... John

:)

Jhawk55, Mar 29, 2017

2. My Computer Goes Into Loops at OS Reinstallation

The bluescreen recovery option states my system is UEFI, although when my computer crashes The System Image Recovery usually states System Image Recovery is impossible as OS and System Image need to be both BIOS Legacy or UEFI and they're not in my computer.

StephenPlunkett, Mar 29, 2017
  3. Combs C72 Win User
    Windows 10, Custom Winre.wim and install.wim Recovery problems

Hello,

I have been attempting to create a custom deployment image with a Winre & recovery image in case the system is not bootable. I was able to create a winre.wim image and able to boot to the RE environment, but my recovery image isn't being seen and the reset
    feature doesn't function.

The winre.wim image was created with the following directions link: custom winpe 5 – A random blog from a sysadmin

The recovery install.wim image was created using the WinPE dism image capture tools.

The winre.wim image is stored on the recovery partition with the following directory "Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim". The install.wim image is stored on the same recovery partition, but in a different folder with path "Recovery\RecoveryImage\install.wim".

The winre.wim & install.wim images were registered using the ReAgentC tools in the winPE system before the system boots for the first time. I'm guessing this is working correctly because I'm able to boot to the recovery environment.

There must be something I'm missing causing the RE to miss the install.wim image. If more information is required please let me know and I will do my best to provide it.

Regards,

Lee

Combs C72, Mar 29, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

How did you attempt the upgrade to the Creators Update? Looks like you tried 'Update Now' from here...
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

If so, you have just re-installed the Anniversary Update, build .447 being the one in the current .iso for 1607. The Creators Update will not be available until after April 11th.
    Windows 10 Creators Update coming April 11th 2017

Your options? Well, reinstalling the same version is one of the recommended way of repairing problems (we have a tutorial on it), so you could just leave it as it is. It will shortly find the latest cumulative update and bring itself up to build .969.

Or you could got to Settings > Recovery > Go back to an earlier build. This will undo the upgrade you just did.

As for System Image Recovery, many here will tell you that the built-in MS offering is temperamental and prone to problems. Macrium Reflect (free) is the usual recommendation. Something to look into once you have sorted your current problem.

Having said that, I use MS's system image too. You may have better luck restoring your image if you make a Recovery Drive USB and boot from that (untick 'include system files', you just need the recovery tools).

5. Jhawk55 Win User
    Hi Bree,
    Yesss that's where I did the upgrade. I was on '1607 Build 14393.969' prior to the upgrade thinking it would not downgrade me even if the creator upgrade is not available yet. I also make a system image so that if something went wrong I cause restore back. Guess it's my bad for putting my trust on Microsoft upgrade process. *Sad

Is there a way to bring back the 'System Image Recovery' option cause I cannot use my saved system image if the option is not even there.

If I were to 'Undo' the upgrade, will I be able to get back to my previous state? I still have the Windows.old folder in my C drive.

Thanks... John

Jhawk55, Mar 29, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Maybe, I'm not sure as I've not been down that route myself. Try it, if your 'system image recovery' option is still missing then booting from a recovery drive will give you that option.

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just a hint to avoid future problems - Windows built-in system imaging and recovery is extremely unreliable. Macrium Reflect Free is much more reliable and flexible.

Macrium Reflect Free | Macrium Software

NavyLCDR, Mar 29, 2017
  8. Jhawk55 Win User

Hi Bree,
    So I performed the 'Undo' upgrade, after the process I am back to where I was previously. Guess it's a lesson learned, hopefully this will help others. Thanks again Bree...*Wink

Jhawk55, Mar 29, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Glad to have helped.

Now, just be patient and wait for April 11th. as I will be doing *Smile

When the time comes, a new Media Creation Tool will be available from...
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10
    ...you have to use the latest MCT, an old one will just download an old update. Check the Properties of the MCT after you download it, if the Details tab shows version 14393 then it's still the old one and MS haven't got round to updating it yet.

I prefer to use the MCT to make install media, rather than use 'Update now'. It means you only have to download the update once, you can then use it several times if you have problems, or on several machines if you have more than one to upgrade.

PS: told you no one else likes MS's system imaging. *Smile
    It's worth investigating the link @NavyLCDR gave you.

10. Bree New Member
    April 5th for the impatient, apparently...

Managing Windows 10 Creators Update rollout for a seamless experience

Thema:

1. System Image Recovery option missing - Similar Threads - System Image Recovery

2. System image recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System image recovery: I'm about to get a new computer and I was wondering: Since I procured my Windows 10 via the free upgrade, will I need to buy a retail version of Windows 10 after I make a system image recovery?...
  3. System Image Recovery

System Image Recovery: What does it do and how do I used ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-recovery/67abca7a-9aa8-4309-bfc3-9fc7cf299d02
  4. System Image Recovery

System Image Recovery: Can I use a SYSTEM IMAGE RECOVERY to transfer my files to anew PC trough an external drive? If on my existing pc i have 2 disks C: and D: and the new one will also have 2 disks will the system install the image on the new PC like they were on the old PC? C: to C: amd D:ti...
  5. System image recovery is not an option in the troubleshoot center

System image recovery is not an option in the troubleshoot center: I needed to go into the windows image system recovery but when i went into the troubleshoot center I could not find the box that said image recovery, can someone help?...
  6. system image recovery

system image recovery: I can't long into my Desktop-HTLT8V4 it needs recovery key and the sign I got was - to retrieve this key , go tohttp://windows.microsoft.com/recoverykeyfaq from another PC or mobile device .in case you need it the key ID is D48B8C0E...
  7. System image recovery

System image recovery: I had backed up a system image on March 2, put an old Windows 7 one I had on my Netbook before it broke (my desktop was originally a Windows 7 btw). On March 30, I tried to restore the system image I saved earlier in the month, but I ended up getting a system image I saved...
  8. System Image Recovery

System Image Recovery: Hey guys, OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134 System Model HP ProBook 4540s System Type x64-based PC Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) I have made it a habit to...
  9. System image create option missing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image create option missing: Just about got my new install of windows 10 running how I like and thought I should make a system image on an external back drive just in case. So I followed the instructions to get to control panel > Backup and Restore (Windows 7) but that's it no option to select a drive...
  10. System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Recovery: Hi All, I'm switching to SSD and I created a system image on the drive already. I tried going to system image recovery to boot using it, however when I click it, the screen goes blank. I'm pretty sure it's not a time thing, I gave it 8 hours. I'm pretty sure this is my...