Windows 10: System Image Restore Is Not Recognizing My Password

Discus and support System Image Restore Is Not Recognizing My Password in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; This one has me puzzled and any help will be appreciated. The problem is System Image Restore does not recognize my Windows password. When I try to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by TexasBandit, May 5, 2017.

1. System Image Restore Is Not Recognizing My Password

This one has me puzzled and any help will be appreciated. The problem is System Image Restore does not recognize my Windows password. When I try to do a System Image Restore and enter my password, the message says the password is incorrect. It's the same password that I use successfully to logon to Windows. I do not understand why it is not accepted by System Image Restore when the very same password allows me to logon to Windows. The version of Windows is version 1511 build 10586.873.

Print screen is not available on the login screen or I would post a screen shot.

I am hesitant to go to the Creators Update with this problem.

Thanks

:)

TexasBandit, May 5, 2017
  2. Anne Ros Win User

System Image Restore Does Not Find System Image In System Image Restore Is Not Recognizing My Password :D Drive, External Drive, Etc. Windows 10 Pro V1709 64 Bit

Hi Luis,

This might be caused by a corrupted file. Do give us an update once you're done with the disk cleanup so we can provide further assistance.

If the issue persists, if it is the system image for Windows 10, try downloading a new installation media that you can use through this
    link.

We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Anne Ros, May 5, 2017
  3. System Image Restore Does Not Find System Image In System Image Restore Is Not Recognizing My Password :D Drive, External Drive, Etc. Windows 10 Pro V1709 64 Bit

Update:

I am currently running chkdsk on the file. I went ahead and went on Disk Management, mounted the .vhdx System Image as a drive, A:, and ran command in CMD as Admin : chkdsk a:/r to attempt to fix all corrupted sectors of the .vhdx.

Going to take a few hours as it is over 200gb of data. Will update as soon as it is done.

LuisRojas2, May 5, 2017
  4. dencal Win User

System Image Restore Is Not Recognizing My Password

Your signing in password and your Microsoft account password are different.
    If you have a Skype account that is the same as the M$ password as they are integrated.

dencal, May 5, 2017
  5. I do not use Skype. I have tried my old password as well as the current one. Neither will work. I did change my Windows password recently. However, I have successfully executed System Image Restore in the recent past using my Windows password. I am at a loss for a solution that will allow me to use System Image Restore. Is there a way to reset the password used by System Image Restore?

Thanks

TexasBandit, May 5, 2017
  6. dencal Win User
    Type credentials in Cortana search box....it will reveal all saved passwords when you click on show.....assuming you have saved any.

dencal, May 5, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    @TexasBandit At last! Someone else who has this problem (I was beginning to think I was the only one). *Smile

Let me expand on that for the benefit of other readers. One way to do a system image restore is to go to Settings > Update & security > Recovery and select Advanced start-up. When it reboots you can select Troubleshooting then System image restore. It's when System Image Restore starts that you are asked to choose an administrator account and give the password before you can continue.

I have had this problem of no passwords being accepted, also in 1511 (coincidence?). I never found out why, probably something corrupt in the recovery environment. In the end...

Multiple System Images using Backup & Restore - advice?

There is of course another way to start a system image restore. Make a recovery drive and boot from that. Unlike booting into the system's own recovery environment you will not be asked for an account or password.

On the test PC in that thread I linked to I had upgraded the faulty 1511 image to 1607 before I realised it had a problem. The 1607 recovery environment then handled passwords successfully.

Bree, May 5, 2017
  8. SIW2 Win User

Same issue here. As bree mentioned, if you boot winre using a separate bcd entry you will be ok.

The thing is very buggy.

SIW2, May 5, 2017
  9. Bastet Win User
    I tried to do system restore & got stuck with the incorrect password problem, same password accepted when logging into my MS account. I restored via Macrium image instead, logged in with pin & changed my password.

Bastet, May 5, 2017
  10. dencal Win User
    dencal, May 5, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    Not for me, it wasn't. I don't have a Microsoft account. My machine that wouldn't accept any passwords in the Recovery Environment had only ever used local accounts.

12. Bastet Win User
    Although I do have 2-step verification I don't think it was the problem as I have been able to do a system restore in the past with it enabled. I also tried logging into my account on the pc with the password & that failed too. I was certainly careful in entering the password. After changing the password all was fine so I don't know whether something got messed up with the original password change or what else may have caused it.

Bastet, May 6, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

For me nothing I tried worked. Microsoft accounts were not involved as I don't have one.

I tried changing passwords, setting a blank password and creating a new local admin account (with and without a password). All had no trouble logging into Windows - none were accepted by the recovery environment.

14. dencal Win User
    A somewhat confusing M$ explanation....

dencal, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System Image Restore Is Not Recognizing My Password - Similar Threads - System Image Restore

2. System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery: I used the Backup and Restore Windows 7 tool to create a system image, which I stored on my NAS. I then copied that image to a new, clean drive. I attempted to use that to image a drive on a new computer using the Windows Recovery environment and selecting Recovery from a...
  3. System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery: I used the Backup and Restore Windows 7 tool to create a system image, which I stored on my NAS. I then copied that image to a new, clean drive. I attempted to use that to image a drive on a new computer using the Windows Recovery environment and selecting Recovery from a...
  4. Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?: Hi guys, Bear with me on this little odyssey. It's a bit of a ramble, and more just me moaning than asking an actual question, but if anyone can help me figure out where I was going wrong I can sleep a bit easier. I was working on a project to deploy a custom Windows image...
  5. System restore and system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System restore and system image: So I regularly create backups on my computer using the windows 7 restore tool from the control panel. There comes an option for creating the system image for drive C which is an SSD. I have heard that if the windows goes corrupt or is accidentally reset I can restore the...
  6. Windows 10 System Restore does not recognize my account password.

Windows 10 System Restore does not recognize my account password.: Windows 10 System Restore does not recognize my account password. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-system-restore-does-not-recognize-my/1f4f81d2-cb04-47ca-911d-87f0152d8c7b
  7. System Restore image ?????

System Restore image ?????: I have just installed windows 10 home instead of the pro version which I installed by mistake then I restored my system image and everything was perfect as before !...….however on closer inspection I discovered windows 10 pro had be installed again !!!!! arrrrrrrrgh...
  8. Saved system image not recognized for restoration

Saved system image not recognized for restoration: Windows 10 machine. Made system image back-up using Windows 7 utility within Windows 10 before sending PC out for repair. System board was replaced. However, Backup and Restore (Windows 7) does not find the image on my external hard drive....
  9. System Image not Restoring.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image not Restoring.: Hi guys, so i reset my Toshiba laptop to its original factory settings and it came with windows 10 home. Then i had to clean install the windows on my laptop again because i was having some trouble with the touchpad drivers, so i wiped C. drive fully and installed window 10...
  10. system restore and imaging.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    system restore and imaging.: Hello I have a one T external drive I image to and it recently showed that 2 - 23 or 30 GB images were filling the drive. A friend, using Treesize, explained that this is due to the restore points taking up space. I changed the scale from 2% to 1 and then created one point....