Windows 10: System image to thumb drive not working

Discus and support System image to thumb drive not working in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; So overall, I was having a issue with creating a system image. It would state that "The specified backup storage location has the shadow copy storage... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by vs2015sv, Dec 1, 2015.

1. vs2015sv Win User

System image to thumb drive not working

So overall, I was having a issue with creating a system image. It would state that "The specified backup storage location has the shadow copy storage on another volume (0x80780038)"

After reading several forums I found that if you delete the restore points you are able to create a system image.

During my troubleshooting, I was attempting to backup to a 64GBthumb drive (this worked in win8 and win7)..

As I was trying to use the thumb drive, I ran into the following issue..

First it says it needs to be formatted to NTFS. Once I format it to NTFS, it says "The drive is not a valid backup location"

Images I found - http://www.windows10forums.com/threa...o-backup.2372/

I do not want to use any 3rd party software to accomplish this.

Any help would be great. Thanks

:)

vs2015sv, Dec 1, 2015
  2. 'Mike P Win User

Thumb drive not suitable to store system image

I would be curious the price paid for that 1TB thumbdrive. I see kingstons about $950 for those.

I have a $25 128gb SanDisk Ultrafit thumb drive attached to my laptop that gets a weekly system image from AOMEI backup. Other than usb thumb drive writes are terribly slow, it works.

'Mike P, Dec 1, 2015
  3. Thumb drive not suitable to store system image

Hi appreciate if you could help to resolve or at least tell me whats wrong and why system indicated the issue? I was able to copy games from my game folder to the thumb drive without any issues and i checked the drive as well as the number of files/storage
    vol to compare against my "game" folder. Both are 326G in size. So it works just not suitable for system image.

YMLeong1609, Dec 1, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

I don't have a solution for you.
    Just one comment : why not switch to an external hard drive ?
    Yes, it costs more, but a 1 TB ext. hdd can be had under $80 US and it can be used for a long long long time.
    I have been using an ext. hdd for 3 years, and I use it to store system image backups for my 2 laptops. It never fails to work.

davidhk, Dec 1, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    How much space is used on your hard drive?

NavyLCDR, Dec 1, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Why do you not want to use a 3rd party program? Macrium, EaseUS, even Acronis are better than the Windows backup.

Ztruker, Dec 1, 2015
  7. vs2015sv Win User
    Less then 20GB. No reason that it should not backup. At first WIndows sees the usb thumb drive as a recognized device, but tells you it needs to be formatted to NTFS. Once formatted, Windows states that it is not a recognized device??

Am I missing something here? I know there are several better options to get the job done.. but this should work.

Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue and found a solution.

Thanks

vs2015sv, Dec 1, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Sounds to me like a bad thumb drive. Do you have a second computer you can check it on? You might want to Restart the computer from Windows with the thumb drive disconnected. After a restart then plug it in and see if it is recognized properly.

Don't just do a shutdown and then power back on because with fast startup enabled in Windows 10 that doesn't really do a complete shutdown. You want to select restart from the power icon.

NavyLCDR, Dec 1, 2015
  9. vs2015sv Win User
    I know it is recognizing the thumb drive. I have tried the restart.

But now I'm thinking it might be assigning the thumb drive the same path letter as one of my other partitions.
    I seen on another post where the Nov update is causing duplicate path letters on usb devices.
    Ill find out in the am and I will post.

vs2015sv, Dec 1, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    If that is the case, open disk management and assign the thumb drive a different drive letter.

It's only 11:30 there in New York...what are going to bed so early for?!! *Sleepy

NavyLCDR, Dec 1, 2015
  11. vs2015sv Win User
    Nope, so the thumb drive is getting it's own path letter.

I'm at a loss as to why this is not working...

vs2015sv, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System image to thumb drive not working - Similar Threads - System image thumb

2. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?: I am using Windows 10.What is the difference in these two?I already have the complete image of C drive and system and boot partitions.In case of system failure, unable to boot, can I use that system image from the USB HDD to repair the installation or to reinstall the...
  3. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?: I am using Windows 10.What is the difference in these two?I already have the complete image of C drive and system and boot partitions.In case of system failure, unable to boot, can I use that system image from the USB HDD to repair the installation or to reinstall the...
  4. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Sandisk USB Thumb drive not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sandisk USB Thumb drive not working: Copy of log from Event Viewer:Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 1/15/2022 9:00:00 AM Event ID: 430 Task Category: None Level: Information Keywords: User: SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-CVMQ4QC Description: Device...
  6. Sandisk USB Thumb drive not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sandisk USB Thumb drive not working: Copy of log from Event Viewer:Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 1/15/2022 9:00:00 AM Event ID: 430 Task Category: None Level: Information Keywords: User: SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-CVMQ4QC Description: Device...
  7. Thumb Drive not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumb Drive not working: I inserted my thumb drive and it was working perfectly before. But now it says I have to format it and it will erase all the data. How do I access the thumb drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumb-drive-not-working/3f7f37c7-f7d1-42ea-a644-4afbb523dc33
  8. Can't put a system image on my LEXAR thumb drive...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't put a system image on my LEXAR thumb drive...: In Windows 10, I tried to put a system image on my LEXAR 30GB USB thumb drive but Windows said I can't do that because the drive is not formatted in NTFS. So I formatted it in NTFS and now Windows says "not a valid drive." Can anyone tell me what's happening? Thanx....
  9. thumb drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    thumb drives: Upgraded to windows 10, plugged in a thumb drive but have no idea how to open the drive 27165
  10. Recovery thumb drive doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery thumb drive doesn't work: I made a recovery thumb drive according to the directions, and it told me that it was finished. I opened it and it has all the recovery and boot files. But when I tested it, nothing happened. I tried removing it and restated, turned off my rig, and replaced the thumb drive....