Windows 10: System Image vs File Back-Up

Discus and support System Image vs File Back-Up in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Since Win 10, Macrium Reflect, and Aomei Backupper all have the means to extract files from a system image is there any benefit to using standard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Gramps, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Gramps Win User

System Image vs File Back-Up

Since Win 10, Macrium Reflect, and Aomei Backupper all have the means to extract files from a system image is there any benefit to using standard back-up files any more, other then maybe quicker access to the files?

:)

Gramps, Aug 23, 2015

2. Best Suggestion for Backing Up before a Fresh Reinstall?

Hi Robert,

If you have files or folders elsewhere that you want backed up, you can move them into one of your existing libraries or create a new library. To help you decide between creating a
    system image or backing up with File History, we suggest that you check this
    thread, and look for
    Annu Singh's post.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Aug 23, 2015
  3. Pedro38 Win User
    System image back up vanishes!

Hi and thanks to all respondents for the comprehensive replies on this thread

I have changed to Administrator status and can now see all the folder/file content and size of the System Image back up.

Best regards to all

Pedro38, Aug 23, 2015
  4. Snakeyes Win User

A disk image gives you the best of both worlds. If there's a problem with an update or improperly written program screws up your operating system you will have to do a fresh install of your OS and software, and then recover your data from the file back up. With the disk image you will have the ability to restore your system to the exact condition concurrent with the timing of the disk image.

Snakeyes, Aug 23, 2015
  5. LittleJay Win User
    I do a system image weekly using Macrium Reflect and also back up my files whenever I make changes to them, or create a new file.

LittleJay, Aug 23, 2015
  6. Gramps Win User
    Thanks for the responses!

Gramps, Aug 24, 2015
  7. Heretikos Win User
    I personally, stand by system images. Backups still leave unwanted crap behind that was there before the restore was initiated.

Heretikos, Aug 24, 2015
  8. LittleJay Win User

Glad to help. I have done system images since my Windows XP days and they have saved me from having to do a new install many times, when things go bad.

LittleJay, Aug 24, 2015
  9. Heretikos Win User
    Yeah about preventing a reinstalation. I always keep an image of just windows, drivers, and updates for when the image was made, and revert to that before I consider a fresh install.

Heretikos, Aug 24, 2015
  10. Snakeyes Win User
    Ditto! It's always the perfect replacement to a fresh install without the hassles.

Also the beauty of incremental disk images allows you to recover files you might have purposely deleted but find you need again.

Snakeyes, Aug 24, 2015
  11. altae Win User
    As always it depends on the circumstances. If there is enough storage available images are king because they allow both, restoring only certain files or the whole disk/ partition. But not if storage is an issue. In this case it can be useful to restrict the backup to the files that are actually worth a backup.

I create images of all disks because storage is not an issue and it saves me the hassle of deciding what files to include. But I also have a daily backup jobs of my most important data (familiy photos, music archive...), every night those are copied to my NAS.

on the other hand backups of the os should clearly be images, only with images are you able to restore a crashed system to it's former state.

altae, Aug 24, 2015
  12. Gramps Win User
    Thanks again for the helpful info!

Gramps, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System Image vs File Back-Up - Similar Threads - System Image File

2. System Image vs File Backup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Image vs File Backup?: Sorry if this is the wrong subreddit for this, but after fiddling around with the Windows File System backup and having it run into a bunch of issues, I finally decided to get the Macrium Reflect software. Now that I have easier access to making a system image though, I’m...
  3. System image, complete file back up, or both?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System image, complete file back up, or both?: I’m going to perform a system reset on my laptop which I’m nearly positive has a hardware issue and am not keen on having to reinstall all my apps and getting my c compiler configured was hell, especially since I don’t think the restart will solve anythingMy plan is to set it...
  4. System image, complete file back up, or both?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System image, complete file back up, or both?: I’m going to perform a system reset on my laptop which I’m nearly positive has a hardware issue and am not keen on having to reinstall all my apps and getting my c compiler configured was hell, especially since I don’t think the restart will solve anythingMy plan is to set it...
  5. Backing up system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backing up system image: If I back up a system image on an external storage, will it erase the existing data on the external storage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-up-system-image/8f04a05f-43b6-4633-b212-400d17fd1a81
  6. back up vs. file history

back up vs. file history: Win 10 back up/ file history https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-vs-file-history/caea7853-64bd-4aba-bbc6-8799cc5e64d3
  7. BACK UP WIN10 FILES OR SYSTEM IMAGE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BACK UP WIN10 FILES OR SYSTEM IMAGE: Yes i have searched the forums, cant seem to find anyone with my problem..so sorry folks I have tried using backup and restore win7 on control panel many times now each time its failed each time i have googles the error problem and followed the instructions...still just now...
  8. System Image Back Up

System Image Back Up: How should I prepare my hard drive for a system image back up to DVD/CD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-back-up/d7cd84c5-5317-451e-8f95-d580a3f22aff
  9. Back up System Image

Back up System Image: Hello, I have HP pavilion laptop, and want to make System Image Back up by: Back up and Restore (Windows 7) ==> Create a system image. I have 2 physical disks in my laptop: A- Disk 0 (SSD): Windows(C) + Windows RE tools. B- Disk 1 (HDD): 1- Data (D) 2- HP Factory...
  10. System Image Back Up

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Back Up: Trying to do a system image back up on Windows 10.Get error 0x80042302.Shows back up disc disconnected.It is connected.In file history it shows the hard drive any more deals ? 60169