Windows 10: System image W10,succesful, but loading onto ext H/D as data.

Discus and support System image W10,succesful, but loading onto ext H/D as data. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Have had to replace my C/D hard drive.Then Download from Microsoft a replacement W10pro.Now when creating a system image (W7) the Windows system image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by WAYNE CORNISH, Dec 14, 2016.

1. System image W10,succesful, but loading onto ext H/D as data.

Have had to replace my C/D hard drive.Then Download from Microsoft a replacement W10pro.Now when creating a system image (W7) the Windows system image box tells me, < system image created succesfully >. But viewing the ext hard drive , the system image appears as about 20%, and the rest of it appears as data.Advises, <No system image on this disc>.

:)

WAYNE CORNISH, Dec 14, 2016

2. Why does the system image file show data and VHD image file show no data

I have made a system image of my "C" "D" and "H" drives, all show data to be present, when I create a VHD of the images, data is seen to be present in "properties" of the "C" and "D" drives but the VHD of the "H" drive shows zero data.

Could someone please assist me in this as I am attempting to recover precious photographs.

many thanks

Danny

Danny McColl, Dec 14, 2016
  3. Windows 10 self destructing AGAIN!

Updated from W8toW10 a while ago, when computer started saturating the disk and eventually would not run at all I saved all my data files to an External H/D and did a clean install 5/1/2017. W10 was installed from an authorized link provided by MS. Was
    OK for a few weeks then started to come apart like a bad Beta Version. There appear to be numerous system files and processes that have redundant launches and duplication of processes that overload the disk resulting in painful slowness and/or total freeze.
    I am beginning to wonder if the system requirements of >1GHZ Processor, >2 GB ram and 16 GB free H/D are overly optimistic and in the real world W10 requires much more resources. Could there be an issue with W10 accessing my H/D, I have over 700GB of free
    space. I spent over a week of "try this, try that" last time before I gave up and did the clean install on a freshly formatted H/D. I don';t want to go down that road again.

Thanks for your interest.

DavidKontak, Dec 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

System image W10,succesful, but loading onto ext H/D as data.

Hi, it's great you want to use images to protect your system. Everyone should, many discover that the hard way, alas.

The verdict here is that we recommend the use of a 3rd party solutions e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage. I've not seen a thread I can recall where any problem related to Win 7 Backup and Restore has been resolved.

Macrium is supported, current and maintained; Win 7 Backup and Restore is effectively not.
    3rd party solutions are
    - more reliable
    - more feature rich
    - current
    - more flexible.

Macrium has been found to be one of the more reliable. I commend it to you. Others have suggested Veeam Endpoint Backup, and there are others of course.

dalchina, Dec 14, 2016
  5. Thank you for your advice. O.K, i will try out macrium.

WAYNE CORNISH, Dec 15, 2016
  6. kado897 Win User
    The free version of MR is sufficient for most peoples needs.

kado897, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

System image W10,succesful, but loading onto ext H/D as data.

1. System image W10,succesful, but loading onto ext H/D as data. - Similar Threads - System image W10

2. Formatting Ext Hard Drive for System Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Formatting Ext Hard Drive for System Image: I'm using Windows 10 version 1909. If I want to make a system image, can I format the external drive using NTFS, FAT32 or exFAT? Do all three formats work? 175544
  3. Cant install games onto my ext. drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Cant install games onto my ext. drive: So I've posted about this 2 other times, both times the person helping just disappears if I don't respond quick enough. The only way I can get continued help is to make a new post. Since early December last year, I've been having an issue with the Microsoft store with it not...
  4. Missing H/D on PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Missing H/D on PC: Hello Guys and gals , i hope everyone is Doing well, i have done monthly for the past year on my External Drive, this morning when i went to do a full system backup the External drive ( Drive I ) would not Show , did a restart, un plugged and then re plugged and it still did...
  5. Missing H/D on PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing H/D on PC: Hello Guys and gals , i hope everyone is Doing well, i have done monthly for the past year on my External Drive, this morning when i went to do a full system backup the External drive ( Drive I ) would not Show , did a restart, un plugged and then re plugged and it still did...
  6. installing a system image onto a new device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installing a system image onto a new device: Win10 pro is my OS system image available Am I required to purchase a Win10 pro system on my new computer or is any Win10 system appropriate to use the system image backup?...
  7. reinstalling w10 onto ssd?

reinstalling w10 onto ssd?: laptop comes with 2 drives it looks like this: https://imgur.com/a/bDw1QSf disk 1= hdd disk 0 = sdd question #1: im guessing w10 is running on the hdd? but the sdd says it has 'system' w/e that means w10 installed, is activated did the windows updates problem:...
  8. installed Windows10 to Ext drive - lost data

installed Windows10 to Ext drive - lost data: My daughter installed windows 10 onto WD MyBook essential ext harddrive to update from windows 7 on her PC. she downloaded the update from microsoft site. it appears all her saved files and backups were overwritten. is there a way to uninstall and restore her files?...
  9. unable to make system image on W10 PRO

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    unable to make system image on W10 PRO: Many attempts to make the image backup fails. Most fails said to be error on source or target. Tested both devices and found no errors. Backups to internal HD and USB HD failed. Occasionally failure mode is just stall. I have spent days on this and am stymied and annoyed....
  10. unable to make system image on W10 PRO

in Windows 10 Support
    unable to make system image on W10 PRO: Many attempts to make the image backup fails. Most fails said to be error on source or target. Tested both devices and found no errors. Backups to internal HD and USB HD failed. Occasionally failure mode is just stall. I have spent days on this and am stymied and annoyed....